F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET” (V4 Pro Pack)

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. ColoradoFlyer

ColoradoFlyer Airman

Looks like a towering cumulus cloud!! Every summer I watch those build up along the Front Range of Denver, CO. But, I do have a good view of them at work, up in the tower at Denver Intl Airport. They create havoc for us as controllers and pilots though!!

RobDavis likes this.
  2. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

Wow I bet you do have a great view even of tornados think there was one near there this year.
    Rob

Sent from my note 3 using Tapatalk

ColoradoFlyer and Airflow like this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I prefer tornados instead of an A-bomb;-)

RobDavis likes this.
  4. ColoradoFlyer

ColoradoFlyer Airman

Luckily it was my day off!

Airflow and RobDavis like this.
  5. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey so good to hear and see!
    Its an even smoother plane huh?
    So glad you like the handling of it.
    You fly it really good in the video and glad you got out of that crash with only minor damage!

6. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Ha! Rob! I hope the plane was ok but I got to say, it was such a cool smack.
    Glad you got it on camera! I mean... I hope the plane is ok. ;)

RobDavis likes this.
  7. ericma1

ericma1 Airman

so the general consensus is this the new f-18 v4 is definitely a more tamed down then the v3 ?

8. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

G'day from Australia, with a request, please guys.
    I built and flew the RCP F-18 v3 recently and loved it (there's a pic attached of my V3 bird, in red livery). She flew sweetly and surprisingly fast. Now I'm almost finished the V4 version of the F-18. I found the revised build simpler and better (pic below, final wiring underway). The motor mount seems a little flimsy as per the plans so I added some reinforcing but otherwise it is a stock built. I'm just finishing the wiring and then it's maiden time!
    I plan to fly the maiden with a basic all-elevon set-up (six servos, wired so that roll/pitch incorporates both aileron and elevator, rudders mirrored via a Y-lead). I used this set-up on a RCP F-35 V3 a few months ago and it worked very well. That said, once I get comfortable with the all-elevon set-up on the F-18 V4 I'd like to ramp up the settings/mixes to cover a wider range of inputs. I know it might be better to just keep it simple but I can't resist the allure of making it more complex then it needs to be, guess I'm a masochist.
    I spotted a post in the F-18 V3 forum by gibby1117 with what looks like a brilliant switchable set-up; here's his post: http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/f-18-v3-the-“smart-plane”.15551/page-67 (about half way down the page). He thoughtfully included the programming needed to achieve this god-like level of control but it's for a 9xR radio. I run a DX8 and try as I might I can't translate the settings into something I can use. I've been trying to work this out all week, even resorting to building a servo and control surface test bench to try various combos but I'm now admitting defeat before my brain explodes. In addition to the DX8 I'm using an OrangeRX 7Ch receiver, with no on-board mixers. Can someone (F1wanabe, are you there?) please put me out of my misery and explain in detail how to do the same thing on a DX8? Both physical connections and mixing recipes? Please?? For pity's sake! I had less stress when I served in Iraq and Afghanistan...
    Yours in desperation, John
    RC-F18.jpg RCP_F18_V4_build.jpg

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

John, I'm on my way to work, but I'll post the settings I have on my f35 tonight. The one thing I know that is important on the dx8 is to set the wing type correctly first. Then the flap menu becomes active and really simplifies things. Are you using 2 ailerons on the wing and a standard tail? Also, do you have an 8 channel rx?
    Oh I see you are using a 7 channel.
    You'll need aileron in ch 1, other aileron on ch 6(this becomes flap in the menu) one elevon on ch2 one elevon on ch 7, a rudder on ch4 and the other on 5. Then once you have the wing type and tail type right, it's a lot easier.

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  10. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

John,
    I really like the white stripes coming off the wings in the V3 pic. Its looks like the vapor coming off when they do high alpha. Very nice touch that really works.

I wish I could be of some help with the computer radios. I still have Scott help me set up my mixes.
    The super pitch set up you are going for is going to be nice.
    The new wing of the F-18 V4 doesn't stall out when coming out of aggressive loops/flips like that.

11. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Thanks for the replies Greg and Dave.

For Greg: I'd really value your input, as I have admired your videos and learned a lot from your commentary during my RC learning curve. Yes, I'm using an OrangeRx R710 Spektrum Compatible 7Ch receiver. According to the Hobbyking website the channel assignments are:
    Ch 1-Throttle
    Ch 2-Aileron
    Ch 3-Elevator
    Ch 4-Rudder
    Ch 5-Gear
    Ch 6-Flaps
    Ch 7-Aux

For the advanced control/switching set-up on the F18 V4 I intended to use Flaperon as the wing type, Tail type normal, but I'm very open to your advice on this. I have individual servos for all control surfaces (AIL x2, ELEV x2, RUDD x2). Looking forward to hearing from you further.

For Dave: Congratulations on the new V4 versions. The V3 planes were terrific (I built/flew several, still intend to build the F-117). Based on my build experience with the V4 F-18 you've nailed the design beautifully. The construction was easy to follow and execute. The fixed leading edge slats are intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing the plane fly, possibly later today with a basic control setup.

For all: I thought you might be interested/amused by a pic my servo/wiring test bench. It only took a few minutes to knock together from scrap Depron and a few components. The beauty of it is that I can try multiple variations of wiring and mixing without pulling apart the wiring in a constructed plane. I can also see exactly where the wires go, and I label them so there's no confusion. When I have the set-up I want, I just replicate it in the full-size plane. I initially didn't have the little control surfaces installed, merely relying on eye-balling the movement of the servo arms but it is much easier with them installed, and also it's kinda cool!

Cheers, John
    Test Bench.jpg

12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

John, that's a pretty good idea to visualize exactly what's going on with the radio set up! Thanks for watching my videos and for the positive feedback!
    On every rx I've used, ch3 has been the throttle, is the orange rx different? I've not used them yet. I'll have to check the radio tomorrow since I got home late, but if you are sure about the ch3 then my radio settings will be different. In my dx8, ch1 is aileron, ch2 is elevator, ch3 is throttle (where esc plugs in) ch4 is rudder ch5 is gear ch6 is flap and ch7 is aux 1 ch8 is aux 2.
    You'll have to use the gear channel and mix it with the rudder or elevon to get the extra channel. Have you done the mixes yet with the dx8? Are you familiar with the +100 and - 100 throw settings? The flaperon menu is really easy.

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

John,
    What a cute little test rig.
    Brilliant! :)

14. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

The TAER break out is a spektrum standard channel order. Then dual aileron always lands on channels 2 and 5 ... The aux port. Dual elevator lands on channels 3 and 6 ... The gear port.

And yes.. The default AETR pattern is the channel order frsky likes to use. Placing throttle on channel 3.

TXFlier and Splashballz like this.
  15. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Thanks for the info Tom, very useful. I'm pretty sure that the DX8 won't talk to an FRSky receiver, unless an additional module is attached/soldered into the DX8. Not keen on that, sounds too hard for my meagre skills. I'll see what kind of F1wanabe uses.

16. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hi again Greg,
    Glad you like the little test rig. I also have a genuine Spektrum AR7610 7ch Receiver which also has the throttle on channel 1 (see pic below). No surprises there as the OrangeRX items are based on Spektrum technology. If you say which receiver you're using I might be able get the same one (subject to compatibility) to simplify the process of replicating your set-up. Failing that I could probably map the channels from one receiver type to another, within the DX8. I suspect getting the radio settings will be the key. No rush getting the info posted, the real world interferes with my RC time too!
    John
    SPMAR7610.jpg

17. okieflyer

okieflyer Airman

send it to a jet rookie for testing and a great end of days i promis i will fly the wings off it for ya

Airflow likes this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha, yes it might be an option!

19. okieflyer

okieflyer Airman

i got the electronics even and 6 sheets of dtf sitting here but the banker said no to plans until next month after getting a tx today :(

20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

oh! You would have got this one if we had been neighbors, the F-18 is a very good beginner plane!
    [​IMG]

omar182114, DavePowers and RobDavis like this.