F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET” (V4 Pro Pack)

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

Been great weekend for flying to bad my kids had other plans.:rolleyes: Got two flights in then my 5 year old decided that throwing rocks straight up in the air and hitting his 8 year brother in the head is more entertaining:eek:. So 3 and a 1/2 hours and Two staples in his head with a trip to the ER.:( Waiting at the ER for 3 1/2 hours:confused::confused:. lol but he's fine now :D. So next day i get 1 an half flights and it starts to rain lol just my luck :p.

Forums looks great now thanks.now can see who's posting what :D
    Thanks
    R:DB

DavePowers, chris_tall and Airflow like this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha! Sounds like a real mess, Kids find it easy to create chaos!;)

RobDavis likes this.
  3. lysle42

lysle42 Ace Pilot

hay he was just trying to fly the rock!

RobDavis likes this.
  4. flightyfishcake

flightyfishcake Cadet

Rob - oh man, what a day. Glad your son's ok. They sound very like my boys...

lysle42 and RobDavis like this.
  5. ColoradoFlyer

ColoradoFlyer Airman

Here is some pics of my completed RC Powers F-18 V4, I have not got a chance to do a maiden flight on it yet, but tomorrow is the day, and then I will upload video. I love the look of this design nice job Dave and Scott, the spoilers look great. I went with the Canadian Air Force Tiger Meet livery and am super happy with how it turned out, I don't think I can lose orientation with this paint scheme. Anyways, I am running 4x4 setup with rudders, and flaperons and spoilerons.

Setup:
    Focal Price 2700kv motor (6x3 EMP prop)
    40 amp ESC
    Orange RX receiver
    Spektrum DX8

Here she is next my SU-30 V4 which I already have 4 flights on and is great.
    DSC03422.JPG DSC03423.JPG DSC03424.JPG

CeeKay, trumpy959, lysle42 and 7 others like this.
  6. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

Man I really need to get a airbrush setup. That looks great!:) should add eye of the Tiger as your theme sound lol j/k. How long did it take to paint that looks time consuming? Will look forward to seeing your video.
    Rob

Sent from my note 3 using Tapatalk

the142, Airflow and ColoradoFlyer like this.
  7. ColoradoFlyer

ColoradoFlyer Airman

The orange and yellow paint was a quick 30 minute airbrush job, the hand painted black tiger stripes took longer (1.5 hrs).

Airflow and RobDavis like this.
  8. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

But WOW. Them tiger stripes look sick. What's on bottom of plane?

Rob

9. ColoradoFlyer

ColoradoFlyer Airman

Flat light military grey, I think "Eye of the Tiger" will be fitting background music. :)

Airflow, DavePowers and RobDavis like this.
  10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Awesome paint scheme on your F18, Colorado Flyer!

With that kind of paint scheme, this NATO Tigers patch motto seems appropriate...:cool:

7-51-home.jpg

I just cut out the parts and started assembly on my first F18 V4 yesterday. I also have a pretty unique paint scheme in mind, hope to have the plane finished in about a week. Weather is nice today, so might get out and burn through several more lipos on my Mig29 V4...:)

Any idea what your final AUW with battery is?

Can't wait to see video of your Hornet flying...:)

Cheers,

Scott

RobDavis, Airflow and ColoradoFlyer like this.
  11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I envy you Scott:) I wish I had more interest in putting a nice paint scheme, but I hate the masking job ...

lysle42, RobDavis and e3_Scott like this.
  12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Well the paint scheme I have in mind takes a little bit of masking, but all in straight lines...:) There are only three colors involved in the paint scheme also which should make it a bit easier, I'm excited to see how it looks when it is done...:cool: The build is coming along well, I should have the fuselage and wing plate together tomorrow sometime, weather is too nice today, time to go get some more stick time on the Mig29 V4...:)

Cheers,

Scott

ColoradoFlyer, RobDavis and Airflow like this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

It will be nice to see a new RCP F-18 from you Scott! I will wait with the F-18 V4. I must "end" my V3 (in one way or another) before it's time to think of a new F-18. I might put on the TGY 3648 motor, to speed up the process... ;)

e3_Scott and RobDavis like this.
  14. colorc

colorc Airman

Heck, im still trying to have a proper ending to my f18v2. It has to be almost 3 years old. Not even a 4s smjv2 will make the wings snap. I even took it through many low level runs through the wheat fields and it only gets scratched but chips the prop too. There were a couple high alphas gone wrong, but it only dinged the nose. I try to have a catastrophic incident before cannibalizing it. It just feels wrong to tear up a plane that can still fly.

RobDavis likes this.
  15. ColoradoFlyer

ColoradoFlyer Airman

The NATO Tiger patch is cool Scott, I may have to print that out and put it on my F-18!!! AUW with a 1800 mah pack is 21 oz. My build technique is light, my paint application not so much. But, this weight will be fine with the FP2700kv, I just hope the wing loading can withstand a 2200 mah or more on it.

e3_Scott and RobDavis like this.
  16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Well, I can speak from hard earned experience, it doesn't take a lot of extra weight to do some serious damage to an F18 V3 wing:eek:...here is the result of a 26+ oz F18 V3 built too heavy. I had already powered it down by putting the SMJV2 in it instead of the NTM Prop Drive 2700, but the weight and g forces were just a bit too much for it. The wingtips were flexing up almost an inch and a half before the carbon spar finally could not hold out any longer and snapped...:( Not my finest hour in park jet flying...:oops:

2013-09-03 15.00.53.jpg

2013-09-03 15.00.43.jpg

In fact, not my finest day in park jet flying...it was also the day that a faulty solder connection I made on my ESC came loose on my F22 V3...pretty spectacular impact from about 80 ft...:eek: Hit so hard it also broke the 3mm carbon tube wing spar on that plane. Oh well, as the saying goes, "go big or stay home"...:confused::)

Cheers,

Scott

17. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

I image a bigger carbon rod would have stopped the wing from breaking. Or two lol rods to bad looked like a lot of time was spent on the paint job.

Rob

e3_Scott likes this.
  18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Colorado Flyer, I'll see how things go, I weighed the raw foam parts and they are almost 2 oz heavier (using 6mm depron anyway) than the raw foam parts of the F18 V3, so I will concentrate on keeping things light but strong and see where I end up.

I have lengthened the wing spar a bit from the plans and used 4mm carbon rod instead of 3mm carbon tube, so a bit heavier, but much stronger, so that should help somewhat in keeping the wing stiff and strong. I don't tend to fly my F18 quite as aggressively as some other planes I have in my hangar, so I'm excited to see how it goes. Since I still have an F18 V3 with 300+ flights in my hangar, I am stoked about doing a "flyoff" between them like I did with the Mig V3 and V4...:)

Cheers,

Scott

ColoradoFlyer and RobDavis like this.
  19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Rob, that was the strange thing about it. You might be able to see buried under all the parts, I actually went with a three piece carbon rod pattern with two rods along the leading edge of the wing to try and strengthen it and it still broke. So unless I just lucked out and had a really bad piece of carbon, I think it was just too heavy and I pushed it too hard. But sometimes these are the best way to learn the hardest lessons, as after that I really focused on building all my planes much lighter.:)

2013-08-26 10.16.18.jpg

The F18 wing being more straight than the Mig for example seems to flex quite a bit more. I remember the old F18 V2 plans called for two parallel wing spars with an optional third to keep it strong. It was a much bigger plane though, 36" wing span and 53" long as opposed to 30" wingspan and 44.5" length on the F18 V3.

I'm excited to get my F18 V4 in the air, supposed to rain tomorrow, so good time to get building!

Cheers,

Scott

lysle42 and RobDavis like this.
  20. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

Wow ya that sucks.
    I almost feel like the fronterons make this wing more solid. I've already smashed it in the nose but it took the hit on wing real nice I just had to re glue my fronterons back to the paper then was back to flying.

Rob

e3_Scott likes this.