F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET” (V4 Pro Pack)

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Thanks John! The low level stuff is all about not crashing! Haha. That's what I learned from profile planes. Once a lot of the stress is released it gets easier. Do you use a neck strap? I know a lot of guys don't think it's cool, but I really began to relax once I used and adjusted the strap to keep my hands relaxed and fingers free. Finally, I think the right field is important. Lots of area to fly low without worrying about trees. Once you can fly around yourself maintaining altitude, doing a few aerobatics is easy. Worrying about trees and obstacles adds to the stress of flying low!
    Too bad about the crash, but as you say, that's the beauty of these planes. Good luck with the rebuild!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

lysle42 and Airflow like this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

But if there are many obstacles nearby, trees, wires, etc.. Actually there is a solution. Stop worrying about all the obstacles .... then you can fly relaxed everywhere!:p!
    ;)

lysle42 likes this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Haha, you have wires and trees, Airflow! And don't forget the mail box!:D

lysle42 and Airflow like this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah, you know what I'm talking about .. Haha!

lysle42 likes this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Lars, what are you doing up so late? Or are you up early?

lysle42 likes this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

On the lake, fishing ...

7. FlyingRock

FlyingRock Rookie

VERY Nice presentation; not to mention Darn Nice Job with the Mods and Flying Skills.

8. cc1368

cc1368 Rookie

Very beautiful, I also want to do a play, envy you your good fly field, it is hard to find a fly field as well as in China, is full of tall buildings

DavePowers likes this.
  9. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

All great advice, Greg. The area I generally use to fly is very open but they are about to put a highway right through the middle of it. Damned progress! Guess I'll have to look further afield.
    I do use a neck strap, for the reasons you mentioned. I've also added a waist strap so that the radio doesn't wave about when I rotate to throw the plane into the air. With all these straps I'm worried there might be a bit of a bondage thing going on here... ;)
    Regarding the next plane, I've decided to build the SU-34 V4 before making another F-18. I'll post some progress info over in the SU-34 forum.
    Cheers mate, John

F1wanabe and lysle42 like this.
  10. achilles

achilles Ace Pilot

I finished my F18 and it flew well,has a little bit of fish tail. It was pretty simple to build.Now I will build another Su34 and not crash this time. IMG_1331.JPG

11. Rustyfingers

Rustyfingers Ace Pilot

You guys are inspirational. The V4 fleet performance surpasses most store bought models available today for hundreds of dollars! Geeze! I do have a question - i have a Spektrum DX6i transmitter. Does this tramsmitter have all the capabilities needed to program a jet like the F 18 for example? Keep in mind I have been flying a Tomhe Mig on elevons / throttle so this will be a jump for me. Thanks.

12. lysle42

lysle42 Ace Pilot

What a great looking RCP F18! great job love the colors, good luck, and I love my RCP SU-34, and my FRC Alpha Jet MK2

F1wanabe likes this.
  13. achilles

achilles Ace Pilot

I got a little crazy with my flying and the elevator control horn broke loose during a loop and it became a dirt torpedo. It was a cool looking crash.Once I get some more Dollar Tree foam board I will make another. Rustyfingers I have the same transmitter and had my F18 set up with ailerons and elevator. I haven't messed with mixing channels. IMG_1333.JPG

lysle42 likes this.
  14. lysle42

lysle42 Ace Pilot

as that is DTF what kind of paint are you using as that looks great

15. lysle42

lysle42 Ace Pilot

and do you use carbon fiber??

16. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

That looks great!
    I've been getting some fishtailing on this one too.

lysle42 likes this.
  17. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey great to hear!
    And yes, the DX6i has more than enough. Thats the kind of radio I like to fly with.

lysle42 likes this.
  18. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Aahhh! Oh man! Look at that crumple zone.

lysle42 likes this.
  19. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Cool, thanks alot. I think I'm seeing the same kind of thing.
    And yeah, the spoilerons do have a different performance compared to the V3.
    My guess is "more efficient" is not a good thing in some applications...
    What I mean is an elevator is NOT efficient (works counter to the wing, shoves tail down to move plane up, etc). But a "good" elevator (which destroys alot of lift) is "good".
    So, I think "good" spoilerons are the ones that really "dig in" and mess up alot of air and force the plane up... The new V4 spoilerons are smaller, swept back, angled differently, and are "too efficient" to cause the kind of "dirty dig in" effect good spoilerons want.
    Could be way off here, but just one principal I've seen that comes to mind here.

F1wanabe and lysle42 like this.
  20. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

Huh... I have a freshly built f18 currently on the table. I need to finish sand.... scrub her up and paint yet.

You mentioned fishtail. I had been eyeing over all that leading edge slat on this plane and thinking if I added flaperon to the mix it would practically stand still in the air.

This will be an interesting design to play with.