F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET” (V4 Pro Pack)

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. The F-18 V4 “MULTIROLE PARKJET”

“Everything I dreamed about doing when I was a kid”
    Fun! Fun! Fun! That's what this hobby is. Everything I dreamed about doing when I was a kid, I finally got too, and now from this site/people, I have building plans/skills to make and experiment on my own and fly. It's pretty amazing, with the right knowledge, tools and a couple part's, you can make something defy gravity like that. And then come back to you safely. It's great feeling, that it used to be 2 sheet's of flat lifeless foam, that now take's to the sky.
    By theplumber717 | August 26, 2014 | Full review here

POWER SYSTEM
    Motor:
    ESC:
    Prop:
    Battery:
    Servos:
    Radio:
    2200kv, 30A max
    30A
    6x4 APC
    11.1v, 1600mAh, 20C
    2-6 metal gear
    2.4 GHz 6CH
    SPECIFICATION
    Scale:
    Length:
    Wing Span:
    Wing Area:
    Weight:
    Channels:
    1/20
    43” (109.5 cm)
    30” (76 cm)
    3.5 sq ft (0.32 sq m)
    16-26 oz (450 - 740 g)
    3-6

Get Started Building

PLEASE NOTE: Our cart software has been updated January 2017.
    This particular product will not appear in your RCPowers “My Downloads” section.
    For faster service, a direct download link will be instantly emailed to you upon purchase.

2. F1wanabe shows off what the F-18 V4 can do with flaps!

SuperDave156 and his wife Alys have a funny time learning to fly their F-18 V4!

“Surpasses most store bought models”
    You guys are inspirational. The V4 fleet performance surpasses most store bought models available today for hundreds of dollars!
    By Rustyfingers | July 3, 2014 | Full review here

“I have never flown a easier flying, more stable plane!”
    Wow!! flew my newly built F18V4 today, first time. I have never flown a easier flying, more stable plane! I'm hooked! cannot wait to build the others. Anyone reading this and do not have the V4 package, Get it, it's well worth it! I could not be happier! Thank you RCPowers, and other's that have helped me on this forum. Gary
    By theplumber717 | August 26, 2014 | Full review here

“The roll rate is perfect on the V4”
    So I too thought the F-18 V3 was one of the most stable planes I have flown so I was skeptical when Dave said the V4 F-18 was even better. Well I can say that it is and more. The roll rate is perfect on the V4, I had to tame it down the V3. The leading edge slats do provide great stability, just like you said Dave, they make your loops look perfect. The performance is there if you need it, mine does nearly unlimited vertical with the FP2700kv motor on 1800mah, haven't tried any other size battery yet. The turns are great I usually start mine with the ailerons and complete it with the rudder and it tracks oh so nice!! Very stable in heavy winds as you can see from the video below. Just an all around enjoyable airframe. Again my hat goes off to Dave and Scott...Build this jet you will not be disappointed.
    By ColoradoFlyer | May 29, 2014 | Full review here

“More refined and polished in every area”
    Had a relaxing morning at the field maddening the F18V4. Lots to tell! The V4 has all the performance of the V3 but is more refined and polished in every area. I love slats, or fronterons, on parkjets! On the F18 V4 there is no speed penalty with the fixed slats- a pleasant surprise. The high alpha was amazing with full flaps, and the improved rudder response of the V4 was put to good use! I blew through 3 batteries just doing high alpha. I was less impressed with the spoilerons on this plane, but I will definitely experiment with the spoileron angle and CG next. Stock CG is perfect for all around flying, but I found better performance bringing CG 3/4 of an inch forward. Nice thing about the V4 is plenty of room to push battery forward. Instead of using a heavier battery to move CG forward, like we had to do on the V3, I was able to move the 1500 3s forward enough to maintain the same low weight but shift CG forward. Immediately, I felt comfortable pushing at full throttle because, even in the breezy conditions, the plane flew like it was on rails! This most likely has to do with the slats creating more lift and the redesigned control surfaces, especially the ailerons which offer total control with no speed loss in high speed turns. Very efficient! Very impressed, Dave and Scott! I can't say enough good things about this F18V4!
    By F1wanabe | June 8, 2014 | Full review here

fyefai83, MrBLaX and Airflow like this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Yup, this is my old Yeller! The v3 was an excellent all around-er and I was shocked by its desire to even hover. If you are saying that this has more of that, then I'm all in. Build has begun. 100 percent scale, especially with those extended upper KF's!!! That was golden on the v3. Thanks for all the hard work on these v4's Dave and Scott! Love the philosophy behind the control surfaces!

zekozeko7, gm3 and DavePowers like this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

This sounds promising, how can it be better than the V3 !? I have still failed to crash my V3, so that a repair has been required.:( I must hurry to do something really radical to make room for the V4. I have fallen behind schedule ...:eek:

gm3 and DavePowers like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Oh, of course! now I know what I must do, to kill my F-18 V3, such a fate :(... but I can not get sentimental, it's just foam! ... In a few days ...:D

tbonecarson and zekozeko7 like this.
  6. Wheres the RCP video? Cant wait to see that!

7. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

So got it built just need all the servos electronics and some sanding. 1400375482287.jpg 1400375482287.jpg 1400375593756.jpg 1400375684114.jpg

Need to rest the Back lol :p will maiden tomorrow suppose to be 3mph wind lol I'm sure that will change like today did. Stupid Ohio weather:mad: you can have all four seasons in one day in Ohio supposed to be in the 30's tonight:eek:

Rob. :cool::confused:

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Looks really good, Rob! What are your impressions so far?

zekozeko7, scott1111 and RobDavis like this.
  9. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

Was comparing to v3 I can see motor is further forward. Looks sweet! It's nice I don't have to cut the leading edges on wing's even nicer. Was nice build, little easier for sure then the v3 build. Can't wait to fly it.:rolleyes: Going to load it with 6 servos. :p To bad I'm broke and no paint to paint it hmm where there's a will there's a way though. Will make a video of maiden tomorrow weather permitting.

Rob

scott1111, F1wanabe and DavePowers like this.
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Yeah, a forward motor not only helps with high alpha, but also will help with the issue some of us had with the v3- not being able to get battery far enough forward. Looks really solid too, doesn't it?

scott1111 and RobDavis like this.
  11. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

Ya it does feel solid from multiple points handling it. Think it will handle a good crash, I'm sure I'll find out soon lol get to cocky sometimes flying. :rolleyes:
    Haven't Tried To Put Battery In It. It Seems Narrow And Deep To Put Battery In Im Sure Having That Weight Under the Wing Is Going To Help With Stability. Can't wait to fly it.:confused::confused::D

scott1111 and F1wanabe like this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Great job Rob :) that one is big!

scott1111 and RobDavis like this.
  13. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

So got my maiden flite in flew great fast and slow. I got to anxious and flew it without sanding edges but flew great still. Will post video when I edit some of the footage wife was all over the place lol:rolleyes:

Rob

scott1111, DavePowers and F1wanabe like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Rob, sounds great! How does it compare to the v3? Did you do the v3?

scott1111 likes this.
  15. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

Well might feel different once I sand everything and get it dialed in but the v3 F18 was my favorite of the v3's. I can say flying slow with it is fun and it Flys fast and smooth even tho I never sanded edges. I'll get it sanded and fly it again this week. Maybe tomorrow if not to windy. Like you said a calm day is what I need too to dial it in. It's got a lot of lift. Over all I do like it alot. I got it to knife edge but wife didn't get it on video.
    :D
    Rob

scott1111 likes this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Do you feel the lift coming off the fronterons? I am a big fan of fronterons now. Fronteron and spoileron combo felt great on our FRC F18, so I'll do flaps and spoilerons. I'm sure your wife did a great job recording, btw.

scott1111 likes this.
  17. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

Yes it's a lot of lift from them. One thing I noticed was the battery position although my battery is 1800 not a 1600 I had to move the battery back 6 inches to get it to balance I'm wondering if I can use 2200 on it but I would imagine it would be moved back more. I can say I can pretty much land the plane on a dime since all the weight is in the center it floats down when it ran out of lift it just dropped flat on ground it's that balanced.
    Wish I could figure out how to set flaps and spoilerons. I'll have to play with this transmitter more it's a tactic 650. Figured it out once lol but can't remember how lol:rolleyes:
    Rob

scott1111, DavePowers and F1wanabe like this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Dan's SU34 really drops straight down too. You can let it drop right to the ground. Its drops so slow you do no damage to the plane when it impacts!

gerrytriker, scott1111 and RobDavis like this.
  19. RobDavis

RobDavis Ace Pilot

Ya did same was awesome.

20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hey Rob -

Great job on being one of the first to fly the F18 V4, good for you!:cool: I am almost finished the Mig V4 and was looking to build the F18 V4 next. I am interested about what you said about battery position, did you find your F18 was nose heavy using stock CofG? Did you build with the servos in the recommended locations? I'm wondering if I should go into the build thinking about shifting some weight back from the start so that I can use a 2200 battery, would be interested in what your thoughts might be.:rolleyes: Any tips or feedback you could provide would be most helpful. I plan on building stock with six servos and the Focal Price 2700 motor.

Again, awesome stuff, can't wait to see some pictures and/or video of it flying:)

Cheers,

Scott