F-18 V3 help needed guys

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by as409, Feb 29, 2016.

1. as409

as409 Rookie

Hey guys!
    I am a beginner and this is my first plane so i didn't expect a perfect flight but guys it was a complete disaster :'). As soon as i left it from my hand it just crash landed directed and the nose broke.Please help me to make my plane better.I have thought to scratch built my plane so i will tell you what all problems i faced so you can help me with it.
    1)I used a 1800kv motor with 6x3" props and 2200 mah battery.
    2)the second main problem that i faced was with the servos.guys i have brought a flysky FS-i6 2.4GHz 6 channel transmitter. So since i am new to this i bought this cheap transmitter.Now it says 6 channel but in any particular mode only 4 channels are working.
    3)So is it neccesary to connect all servos to a different channel or can we short them and connect.
    4.)plus if we connect 6 servos to 6 channel then how can we put the motor to a channel.
    5)so i decided to short my aileron servos and when placed facing each other they moved it in opposite direction so it worked it.
    6.)then i clamped both my elevators together and controlled it using one servo.
    7)Similarly for my rudders i fixed a rod between the right and left rudder and controlled them usingg one servo

8)MAIN QUESTION IS- how do you connect the servos(please help)

Wildthing likes this.
  2. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Well, if you are a beginner, you should not be using elevons,aelierons and rudders. Try a simple 3 servo setup like i am going to. Use elevon mixing, so your elevators work, and they work as elevons as well. Since you have the same transmitter as I do, depending on firmware version, you might have a lot of difficultly figuring out the elevon mixing on that transmitter. I just figured it out last week. Check this thread out as to how to configure that transmitter for Elevon mixing.

http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/servos-and-my-transmitter-a-little-help.19112/

bogusbandit56, Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  3. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

"plus if we connect 6 servos to 6 channel then how can we put the motor to a channel"

The throttle of the ESC connects to channel 3 on our receiver (for the Flysky FS-T6) transmitter, so thats your motor.
    Aeilerons to Ch1
    Elevons to Ch2.

Thats all you need for simple 3 servo setup. Rudders would be Ch4. I do not know what Ch5 and 6 are used for as I am a beginner too.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  4. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

To make it easier, to get Elevon mixing correct on our transmitter, I had to do the following.

Turn Elevon Setting OFF.
    Reverse Ch1.
    Then set the following mixes: Turn on Mix 1 & 2

Mix1
    Master - CH2
    Slave - Ch1
    Pos and Neg mix - +100% (Positive 100% )
    Offset - 0%

Mix2
    Master - Ch1
    Slave - Ch2
    Pos and Neg mix = -100% (Negative 100%)
    Offset - 0%

Hope that helps.

bogusbandit56 and Shannon like this.
  5. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

I completely agree with this.

Make your first plane as simple as possible. Elevon (two servos) only. Don't even cut out the ailerons and rudders. ...ignore them.

You have help with your radio mixing right here when you are ready again. Any number of these gentlemen own and operate this very same radio.

When you do rebuild .. don't hesitate to ask questions. The key message in all this is keep it a simple and functional build.

I don't care for your motor prop combination either. At 1800kv you could risk trying a 7x5 propeller on a 3s battery. What you currently have sounds a little under thrust to my eye ?

6. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Hi as409, and welcome! There are a bunch of guys here using the i6 - some are beginners like me, others are experts. I would suggest reading through the last few pages on the main F18 V3 thread, where you'll find some great suggestions on setting up the Tx elevons and ailerons, from bimoadiprakoso. It all becomes very clear once someone who knows shows you how to do it! Good luck.

7. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

O Crap, I thought he had said the T6. DOH. But from what I understand, Elevon mixing is very similar between the 2? Sorry for the misinformation if it differs from the I6. I keep doing that. I had purchased a receiver thinking I saw compatibility with the T6 and it was for the I6. DOH. I need to read more carefully. Thanks for chiming in.

Wildthing likes this.
  8. Elevons only to start with , ask me. :D . Also if you can't figure out the radio mixing and want to cheat a little plus if you look at the instructions it has 2 wiring diagrams but in the beginning I used the V Tail mixer from HK. It's like $3.00, has 2 leads in and 2 out. 1 lead goes into Channel 1 and the other to channel 2 , then the 2 servo leads plug into it. Very very simple.

9. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Don't follow my mix above, at least without confirming the elevons move correctly. This turned out not to be correct for me. Elevator up and down were correct, but left and right were reversed. I know the OP does not have my transmitter, but since I can no longer edit that reply, I wanted to make note of it in case anyone with my transmitter and firmware version thinks that is the correct setting. Its not. I am repairing 2 planes because of it. :)

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  10. Ouch, you should have caught that before you launched. I know sometimes I have to look at it twice and double check in my own mind that everything is moving the right way.

11. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

I checked and double checked. The flaw was actually that I did not know which way the elevons should go when banking left and right. :) So I thought it was correct. Now I know, bank left, left elevon UP, bank right, right elevon UP. So it was not my pre-check flight that was the flaw, but rather my knowledge of the elevons. :) Now I know. And now I also know how to repair my broken planes. So lots learned in a session where I did little to no flying. :)

Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  12. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

I
    I had a similar crash with my F-18 and it was something very simple, CG. The F-18 is a bit touchy when it comes to weight distribution. Follow the plans for the CG point closely. The F-18 is now one of my favorites. The guys are right, start with elevons only if possible. The maneuvering will be slow, but you can add rudders and ailerons alter once you get the hang of it.

13. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

One thing I do before my first flight of the day Is apply 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and move the control surfaces. You should be able to feel the plane rotate and move around. Just 1 more check that can save some time on the back side.

14. Done the same thing and that's what makes me second guess my first instinct. :D

15. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

You know, me too. Cause it seems whenever I am torn between a decision, if I do not find out for sure, and go by my instinct, I almost ALWAYS choose wrong. LOL. Enough to think that I should go by the opposite of my gut feeling. but I know if I did that, well, lets just say, that wouldn't work either. But I learned a lesson, and my repairs aren't too bad, and its a lesson I will now remember for life. :)

16. Which ever way I am turning that wing has to go down.

17. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

No, that can'[t be correct can it? At least with elevon mixing? (Looking at plane from, the back) Thats the way my elevons were going. If I went left, left elevon went down, and my plane went right. The trick I learned afterwards was, whichever way you are turning, use that hand and put thumb up. So left hand turn is left elevon UP, and right hand turn (bank) right thumb up, right elevon up. This is correct?

Wildthing likes this.
  18. That is right and the wing is forced down.

Shannon likes this.
  19. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Ahhhhhh, Ok, I get it now. Cool. Thanks.

Wildthing likes this.
  20. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

Just do the test with throttle up.

Wildthing likes this.