F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thanks Jeff , I like the idea of No control horns or linkages visible, that was one of my goals all along makes it look so much more real .

One is gluing up and once its set will start on other one should have both finished if not ? then just a little work on other one but yeah i like it and really happy works really smooth IMG7007.jpg IMG7008.jpg

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

One done sweet also made another set of missiles today as things were drying , anyways now to get other one together after supper

Attached Files:

3. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Closely watching and enjoying ur progress. Simply amazing @Nightswatch :)

4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thank you Nakul its rather enjoying working on it , and to be honest much easier of a build then i first thought couple places of build one had to think and come up with ideas but its smooth sailing now .

As for getting other wing done just ran out of time last night waiting for things to dry . But she will be done today
    I am in no race Still no lighting but got another parcel today :) and will open it when i am at that stage internal cokpit seat and sides and dash i believe :)

Thanks to my new friend Jeff :)

Anyways more missiles more missiles and working on wing :)

PS when i get back to my rudder area i may change up few things possibly do the same as i did with ailerons

Attached Files:

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey Jeff a quick before picture its a perfect fit :) not going to deal with it now and other dash part but soon buddy :) IMG7033.jpg IMG7031.jpg

bimoadiprakoso, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  6. Awesome, will it all fit including the cockpit? Where the heck would the hood go?

bimoadiprakoso and Nightswatch like this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

its bubble canopy :) the cut out i i got there is not full canopy it goes back yet away's but its allot taller it will look great as for instruments i took a quick look with some modding it will work great i think time will tell anyways as one wing is drying getting ready to skin aileron and wing ) IMG7051.jpg IMG7050.jpg

8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone here is a couple of pictures of my progress both ailerons are done tomorrow sand , and skin both wings (( one side,)
    Then work on getting them mounted on fuse will set up the drill press at buddies shop to make sure everything is bang on wings and fuse

Other then that it turned out excellent really happy IMG7059.jpg IMG7061.jpg IMG7063.jpg IMG7064.jpg

Wildthing, bimoadiprakoso and BarryM like this.
  9. Falstar

Falstar Airman

Couple of questions, your img7010.jpg missile, what is it? I can tell the other ones will be a paveway when done, but that one is confusing me. Is it is a penguin? (Hope not, then it would be a Norwegian F-16 and you would have to extend the tail dorsal for the drag chute housing).
    The seat will look great! Just checking if you were just checking the size of the seat and not the location (Too far back)

I missed if you said which motor you will use. Any idea what your final weight will be? Otherwise it's looking great.

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

:) i just placed the seat in coc pit area it will work as for missile that is the AGM series As for motor was going with Dr mad thrust 90 mm but canceled order and going with JP105 mm EDF 12s

Anyways presently skinning both wings , will attach ailerons and get them mounted on fuse today waiting for friend to get off work so i can use his drill press IMG7067.jpg IMG7066.jpg

bimoadiprakoso, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well last update for today looks like its not going to to be attached to fuse tonight still have some fine aligning to do sanding ( wing to fuse area etc )
    looks like tomorrow oh well no need to rush, Being one of the most crucial parts of the build anyways need to sand aileron sides about
    1/ 16 or so to get wing flush to fuse . and wing in right location etc

Have a great night everyone IMG7136.jpg IMG7124.jpg IMG7116.jpg IMG7082.jpg IMG7085.jpg

12. Very cool, looking fantastic.

13. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thanks guys i am really happy with the out come so far , So today's plan of attack is getting things finely sanding making sure ailerons work perfect when attached to fuse its binding a tad ( aileron section to fuse )

Cut my linkage rods going into the fuse to length. and get that all done . and bearing packs installed so its just a slide in
    make my marks for tube cut . and drill wings and fuse .
    Dry fit and do what ever lol on it.
    Then skin other side of wing / then get them static balanced prior to final install.
    then glass wings

Last night i was looking at my Elevator assembly bearing packs and how i am going to do it. obviously i will make a block drill it thru place bearings on either end and run rod through .
    But it looks like the section i have in foam ( Between exhaust and elevators i am not happy with so probably going to replace it all with wood making it completely bullet proof .

IMG7138.jpg IMG7138.jpg IMG7139.jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well got one wing all lined up had to hit store for couple pieces of wood for bearing packs, making complete unit packs with servo box
    So far so good everything is bang on even my linkage hole is bang on center woo hoo IMG7143.jpg IMG7145.jpg

16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Wad up everyone haha its Fri lets get Hammered :) so got both wings where there going to go . Presently cleaning up my servo area and bearing pack area should have my marks made up tonight for tube section. ( Being Drilled in morning )

On the F 16 they have from wing to back of nose a nice body line running down the side so started making foam jig it will be in wood like in picture
    So tonight i am taking it easy making some nice wood boxes for servo and bearings etc f-16-990579b.jpg fde318aa4986e168edf32b6bd50a6c74.jpg IMG7163.jpg IMG7164.jpg IMG7165.jpg IMG7162.jpg IMG7147.jpg IMG7148.jpg IMG7157.jpg

17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone little up date got my servo and bearing boxes made. I was surprised it took all day pretty much .
    Both sides of ailerons skinned looks killer
    Will have to skin the front of wings, going over prints and running lines for my leading edge slats, so i can get it all framed in and cut out of the wing ..
    these will be fully functional as for hinging unsure what route i am going to go yet still got to sand ailerons etc
    IMG7179.jpg

18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone well today is the day to get wings attached to the fuse Dry fit . just doing final sanding and lining up then she is getting drilled bearing packs for linkages glued . then working on fuse to nose i want fuse leading edges done today .
    Then i can get on wing leading edge slats IMG7180.jpg fuse leading edge .jpg

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and EricR like this.
  19. When you skin it what thickness of balsa do you use? The jet is looking awesome.

20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

1/32nd thickness will light sand it so its fairly even then will use light weight spackle to fill low spots etc re sand with 320 then prep for glass
    its still under 1.5 pounds i am impressed but once tubing is in she is going to start gaining weight going to guess when glassed she will be just a tad over 2 lbs with out electronics

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    bimoadiprakoso, EricR and Wildthing like this.