F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Got all my supplies today and will start on both wings tomorrow, as things dry start . portion of the wings will be actual foam core instead of full balsa wood anyways cheers everyone

bimoadiprakoso, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Forgot to mention got my nose really close to being formed completely have to now put filler on and get it perfect then cut it off and make a mold which is also a back up if i need to make another one in the future IMG6758.jpg IMG6761.jpg IMG6766.jpg

3. Coming along really nice.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thank you Jeff started cutting out wing cores part of wing will be actual foam core
    With 1/4 x 1/4 balsa strips glued to it about half way back from wing tips to fuse will be ribbed giving me the air foil so in reality only going to have to skin half the wings with Balsa but will see might skin it all when the time comes etc working on figuring out linkage also for elevators Rod as servos are not going to be in the wing least that is my goal

Have to do some modding with elevators as plan is having a functional elevator working right up to the main fuse my wing print lets see how i make it look :) not much there to work with as in air foil etc IMG6770.jpg IMG6771.jpg IMG6772.jpg IMG6774.jpg

EricR, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well loo key here :) stepped out for like 30 mins come home and parcels are starting to arrive .
    Wonder what i got in them :)
    Can someone say its going to look smoking shortly i can
    Sent Jeff some 3d prints as in scaled coc pit seat things are going to really take shape and look killer as i slowly will detail control panel knobs etc IMG6776.jpg IMG6777.jpg IMG6778.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well little up date as usual start it with foam then convert it to wood got some tinkering to do to get it exactly where wing attaches etc but shes coming and should have both done and attached by Fri night .

Still waiting on lighting so not rushing it elevators attachment and hidden rods will be little work but got that figured out also wings do not have the air foils / ribs in them yet but it will look great shortly :) once wings are actually attached will run a sharp seem starting from wing point on fuse to nose as per scale

Anyways enjoy IMG6816.jpg IMG6823.jpg IMG6819.jpg

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I also want to thank AKA Jeff wild thing he took the time today and went out of his way to print me a seat today for this this project

i also sent him the codes to make actual front and side control panels
    Talk about detail it would take me a month and tons of razors later and still probably not even come close now to buy model paint :) and fine paint brushes but that is last part of this build

Thank you Jeff 2017_0222_225152_002.JPG 262dd06769f16bc71447d244c23e6645.jpg 2017_0222_225129_001.JPG

Attached Files:

8. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Great job @Nightswatch
    Coming along really nice!! You must have some real patience to build this, all the best. :)

9. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

An Absolute beauty! And a great seat from Jeff!

10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thank you Eric Hoping it turns out great, just on few mods on wing then gluing both up shortly .

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and EricR like this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Couple pictures of progress Got all my wood cut although these plans are great. There is lots of stuff that is not scale as per model
    So it slowed the process down etc, but will have it all glued up today .

One thing is where ailerons if you look at the picture above there actually in the wing middle etc . When you look at scaled F 16 they go to fuselage on his plans they do not .

So i am presently working on that so in a sense my wing aileron is going to be actually longer then actual wing and making up the 1- 2 ' difference on Fuse ( Scaled version )

Will post some great shots tonight IMG6836.jpg IMG6829.jpg IMG6830.jpg

12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey Everyone been going slow n easy on the wings , Looks like no gluing today. Tomorrow get the other pieces on other wing and get it looking like same .
    And then work on aileron linkage them wood pieces you see on them will be actually moving the aileron, so need to line things up drill them and run tubing threw them. then glue in control linkage rod in them.

Should have both glued tomorrow lol IMG6843.jpg IMG6850.jpg IMG6858.jpg IMG6862.jpg IMG6867.jpg

13. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

You surely have lots of patience, Nightswatch. :) Which I'm sure I don't posses as much as you do. Nice progress.

Nightswatch and Wildthing like this.
  14. My patience level would have stopped at reading the plans. :D :D

Nightswatch and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Ha ha thanks truth is i don't have patience. i work on it then walk away for a while .
    Its measuring lining things up looking at model then prints etc .
    Prints do not have really anything on the inner wing details so in a sense i am winging it :)

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well better get working on the wings spent 1hr looking for these small plastic tubes again between that and starting to make wing tip missiles . We will get her done someday :)

So Anyways , finally getting one wing close to being done the other one will be a breeze just copy n reverse :).

But for the life of me i cannot find my plastic hollow tubes were i will run the linkage rod thru.
    Seen them not so long ago , and as usual will turn up when i already went and picked up more . Anyways i need to split and get these tubes and my bearing packs
    IMG6870.jpg IMG6872.jpg IMG6876.jpg

Wildthing and EricR like this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Can you believe it i go to hobby shop, find what i am looking for but they come in packages of like 12 of them .
    15 bucks for them i like F that for plastic you got to be kidding me ..

So look around for anything else that might work ??? and found aluminum tube that fits perfect for like 4 bucks . Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which one i bought lol..
    Anyways Darn its cold out today time to warm up and get on the wings IMG6879.jpg IMG6878.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well folks, 4 in score and 7 years later haha finally got to the point of GLUE woo hoo So another slow process making sure spars and ribs are square etc might as well do it by the book .. gluing both wings .

As wild would say to me your not going to be breaking any record build times :) anytime soon .

So some progress pictures , still have to drill some holes where i will run my electrical to wing tip lighting etc but but that does not have to be pretty :) IMG6880.jpg IMG6881.jpg IMG6883.jpg IMG6886.jpg IMG6890.jpg IMG6894.jpg IMG6900.jpg

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Wad up everyone :) couple progress pictures, today same thing plug away on both wings getting there :) IMG6901.jpg IMG6904.jpg IMG6908.jpg

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

OH i just had to put it all sorta together :) IMG6925.jpg IMG6932.jpg

EricR, malukk and Wildthing like this.