F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Some progress shots will have nose on tomorrow should look kiiller in another week or so will be taking it to shop and letting the pro\s fine tune everything IMG6594.jpg IMG6574.jpg IMG6575.jpg IMG6576.jpg IMG6597.jpg IMG6606.jpg IMG6610.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. bimoadiprakoso and Nightswatch like this.
  3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Nice day to take off and enjoy the weather cold front is coming back .. Anyways slowly forming nose not doing to much today .
    :) more or less just doing minor work want to get the nose mold made :) then its onto wings
    So letting things really dry n cure .
    Other then that Hope everyone is having a great day next update will be when wings are on :)

4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    EricR, Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Its amazing when you go to a RC shop for tubing :) i mean seriously 1/2 " aluminum tubing 30" they want 20 bucks Crazy went to metal supermarket 48" same for 4.50 lol picked up 8 feet 10 bucks later haha

So blue line will be aluminum rod going through wings and back end line wood dowels IMG5865_Ink_LI.jpg

6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Figure i post my nose piece used all scrap pieces being its a mold , and thinner will eventually eat all that foam up.
    So letting it dry will form it tomorrow and make a cast IMG6614.jpg IMG6619.jpg

7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Little update cleaning front Fuselage area sides and working on front turbine inlet framing is all in and drying.

Now to work on front foam inlet should look pretty sick when i mount it later on. tonight . Will get better pictures up tonight
    IMG6652.jpg IMG6655.jpg IMG6646.jpg IMG6632.jpg

8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey all really excited got some parts sent out this morning to me one JP 105 mm 12 S EDF and Two 6s 5000mah 65c Genesis packs, as well a 160 amp ESC you do not want to know the price lol.

Mailing Date: 2/16/2017
    Est. Delivery: N/A
    Service: First Class International (R)
    Signature: Not Required
    Tracking: .......

Owe yeah baby over 14 pounds of thrust i want it lol

My canopy is made n done an sent out hoping its here next week coming from Texas i

As for build sand , sand and more sanding haha almost should have front air intake done shortly going to put a curved spacer inside it as per real one .
    this will also help from rocks n sand getting kicked up into EDF lots of sanding shaping etc but it will look trick , and what i am presently doing before i install it to fuse . as well working on fuse framing part curving it as per real one

Other then that plugging away at nose piece and other detailed parts will have wings on next week i want to glass everything by the end of the month

Other then that retracts are inbound , lighting etc i need to pick up some servo's next week for doors etc so its coming along pretty fast i think its the small detailing that kills time IMG6674.jpg IMG6673.jpg IMG6672.jpg IMG6671.jpg x7ukp.jpg

EricR and Splashballz like this.
  9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Almost got it done finally :) IMG6679.jpg

10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

What up everyone, another day plugging away on the 16 made my wing gun in foam. Still need to sand it and form it little more , then chop it up in sections make inner ribs and convert it to Balsa and skin it
    Sealed up inner front turbine entrance foam on second coat will apply 2 more then light sand and is ready for primer n paint . Decided not to attach her going to wait until retracts are in .

Just give me more room to work around etc

So more or less working today on nose section and playing with the gun ,
    Need to drill out 2 " hole on front rib top section nose cone as for electronics going to put something in hollow nose section be it receiver , door sequencer or something any thoughts ??????

I am also thinking of hinging nose, so that i can open it magnets on one side hinge on other side . so canopy back to middle part of fuse also removable and that is where most of the goodies will be
    So this week end will be making little bits and detail pieces which is time consuming

IMG6682.jpg IMG6683.jpg

Wildthing and BarryM like this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I am starting to hate sanding period , Nose is getting there also making pitot tube. We will see how this goes tip in balsa then other half going into nose and making up the difference in Carbon fiber going to try to put it in a drill and sand it to a point IMG6684.jpg IMG6686.jpg IMG6687.jpg Qmywd.jpg

Wildthing and EricR like this.
  12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Ok well placed pitot tube into drill to sand the Balsa to get it to a needle look :)
    worked for a bit then flew off haha the metal and wood did not stick together .
    so stay tuned on second attempt re glued with epoxy which i should of done at the beginning . The nose is looking real good still some more sanding then will mount it for final sand then remove and make my mold trying to get other molded parts i want to do done so when i make the mud i can do all of them at once missile holders gun Ventral fin etc
    IMG6689.jpg IMG6690.jpg IMG6691.jpg general-dynamics-f-16-1974-usa.gif

EricR, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Round 2 of using the drill to make pitot tube experiment and it worked yee haw . Now to make the real one have nose piece on plane now Tomorrow get it fully sanded and all lined up get ventral fins done .
    This week end is all the details of the plane i want to work on

I didn't like how the elevators were going to be attached being i am going 50 - 55 mm 30 percent expo same as for ailerons
    need to pick up bearings for elevator assembly looks like i might be using Traxis parts for sleeved bearings threaded tubes etc i want it solid and right with smooth movement and 0 play.
    Anyways for anyone watching that is the plan :)

If canopy comes in next week Pretty sure i will be glassing top fuse wings rudders and elevators by next week end.
    Wings are going to be easy to assemble and make. I really need my retracts ASAP so i can get the bottom all closed up

So i decided to weight it tonight put rudders elevators etc it came out exactly 300 grams Dam weight is staying down Nice
    I also got a chance to measure it now with nose on she is 48" long and with side wing missiles 41 wide
    Big but not that big
    some more pics of the day

48 long by 41 wide
    IMG6697.jpg IMG6699.jpg IMG6700.jpg IMG6701.jpg IMG6703.jpg IMG6707.jpg

14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Good morning everyone just little update made my ventral fins preparing to glass them shortly i put a nice air foil to them lets see how they glass stay tuned still working on Pitot tube for nose piece once that is done will just resin seal it should give it strength gong to cut my retract doors to day. Form them, and probably glass them as well. plans are to make some sort of inner frame to them as per scale also when there open etc .
    Will see how that goes maybe i nix the idea when i try it

Remember Experience has demonstrated that the worst 3-views of any subject are the ones that came from the factory. The best were done by some careful modeler who wanted an accurate model and made his 3-view a labor of love.

That is what its all about labor of love and patience and the end result will be outstanding IMG6708.jpg IMG6709.jpg IMG6711.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    EricR and Wildthing like this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone well i played around this week end doing the fine detail work pretty much have most of it all done on fuselage have couple to do on rudder and base but took it easy.
    Cut my front and rear retract doors and need to sand few things. Tomorrow is a day off being Family day Holiday so probably start on wings Tues / Wed and get back at er
    Here is a few pics Enjoy

Attached Files:

16. That's not to bad of a size for hauling in the truck, at least you won't need a trailer.

Nightswatch likes this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Exactly she will be big enough to see it fly, in the sky with out squinting lol as well should rip in the sky @ 14 pounds thrust forgot these pics IMG6745.jpg IMG6749.jpg

Wildthing and EricR like this.
  18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

And last but not least my Cannon work in progress lol going to have to still do work on it but its all coming will see how it works.
    Made another one might i might just vac one IMG6751.jpg IMG6752.jpg IMG6755.jpg aaf.jpg

19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey Eric yesterday some of my parts was only 300 miles away from you today its in another Country :)

February 20, 2017 05:31 CANADA PROCESSED THROUGH FACILITY
    February 20, 2017 05:31 CANADA CUSTOMS CLEARANCE
    February 18, 2017 10:09 ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) PROCESSED THROUGH FACILITY

EricR likes this.
  20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone , well today took most of the day off on the bird but i did get some stuff done
    Cutting list for wings have to get some more balsa wood and sheeting for wings and enough to cover everything else rudder, rudder base and elevators etc Control horns for elevator and rudder want metal control horns
    Need bearings and few things to attach elevators properly as well need some more servos and epoxy,, wood alcohol for fiber glass mix

But other then that started making my static dischargers which are on back of wings and rudder out of copper wire will post some amazing pictures in the next couple of days as things get put together.
    Now the fun begins getting the wings on, wiring etc i still do not have the lighting system here but will get wings skinned and leave part of the wing un skinned until it arrives etc

Cheers J

IMG6756.jpg

Wildthing likes this.