F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I personally think its going to be really light and one of the reasons i like GG I just weight fuse its 270 grams both wings will be Balsa Very light weight rudder Balsa and elevators Balsa skinned in balsa
    So if i was to guess , the jet empty, primed and ready for paint with out any electronics Retracts , servos linkages , lighting, batteries etc under 2 pounds if that

EricR, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Actually i would bet it being under 1.5 for the ell of it i just weight both my elevators together * Balsa came out to 3 grams lol so lets add 2 grams more for skinning other sides i am being generous 5 grams total weight of 2 elevators guessing because i have to add supports to main fuse for rudder starting main framing today Balsa my guess 28 grams for that wings with framing and rudder assembly 28 grams

359 grams i added everything up to i must be missing something yes aluminum spars , and dowls etc rods to connect elevators Yup guessing realistically 1.5 empty max

Anyways we will see when it gets closer to that time mounting front canopy area to nose then start framing top fuse back end for rudder assembly

PS trying something different for nose piece going to form it hollow then cut it off and use it as a mold for glass nose
    IMG6312.jpg IMG6313.jpg IMG6312.jpg IMG6313.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    EricR and Wildthing like this.
  3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Who ever said this hobby is cheap ??? just ordered D Mad thrust 90mm and retracts, and after burner lighting kit 300 bucks later including shipping
    Geez so much for my allowance this month crazy .

Small update going to start on rudder framing on fuse tomorrow have my cockpit jig so when front is dry i can cut it out going to work on rudder as well forming jig for my Diy Canopy glass

IMG6337.jpg IMG6339.jpg IMG6343.jpg

EricR, Splashballz, Wildthing and 2 others like this.
  4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

From foam to wood and glue hoping to have top section framing done by late tomorrow with hinges then onto lower rudder base assembly on fuse

Attached Files:

5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well yesterday got my frame glued this is not your typical straight stab, she is going scale So today i got both rudder and stabilizer inner supports glued in. got dowels glued in only thing left is carbon rods which i have already pre drilled into the wood ( just need to figure out lengths to cut etc
    So that is if for the day on them Sand them tomorrow . I'm out of 32'nd skinning balsa

So just getting ready on starting lower base assembly Cheers everyone IMG6360.jpg IMG6363.jpg F-16C_Vertical_Stabilizer_18.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

What upppppp :) well like anything else start it off in foam get it all right then convert it to wood :) IMG6371.jpg IMG6373.jpg IMG6374.jpg IMG6376.jpg

EricR, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well i think i got it folks time to start cutting some wood and get on base :) and stabs assembly linkages

Sneak peak of whats to come and really going to start taking shape shortly
    i have to leave it in Rib form as per when light kit comes :) have one white flash on top of rudder as well on base rear , wing tips , retract door lights , belly and i think i have one also on top of fuse have to double check

Its going to look SICK :)
    IMG6383.jpg IMG6384.jpg IMG6394.jpg IMG6418.jpg IMG6413.jpg IMG6406.jpg IMG6392.jpg IMG6408.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Nakul, EricR, Wildthing and 2 others like this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well plugging away slowly on rudder base, hoping to have a big dent in it by end of the day lots of stuff to do in internally servo placement linkage rudder rod etc were not going to see any servo or linkages back there all Hidden and clean

Will have a screw in access compartment , in the rudder base going to look slick looking at rivet points etc as per where screws will be

So that is the goal for next week or so , get that all set up as well as elevators linkage and servo's placed .
    Can't do to much really for skinning until my lighting shows up hoping next month this time i am fiber glassing everything and by end of next month she is on final sanding and prepping for paint. putting me sometime in April when she is completed and ready for maiden

Attached Files:

9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Forgot other pictures from today slowly getting towards back end :) IMG6476.jpg IMG6470.jpg

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Forgot i found my Rudder emblem :) what do you all think of this ???? Was going to go with the Arkansas Wild Boar but hey I think this will look so much better ???? 1a51c68de7611f926b9864681fae9141.jpg y ss_3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  11. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

That emblem is SICK!!

12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Yes i agree , I really like it :) and for sure will look sick on the 16 :)

13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well i got good news and then i got bad news Which do you want to here first OK the bad news first haha.
    It looks like i am not going to be able to keep rudder linkages completely concealed staying with plan drawings back end ??
    i can make base bigger, but its just to much work fiddling around if i was scaled 60 - 65 percent would not be a issue maybe i will scale up for future F 16 build etc.

Good news is it will be much easier just having rod on outside connected to rudder etc servo will still be concealed its just the arm and linkage to rudder all being on the outside . Servo arm showing on out side

I am still up in the air one what route i am going to go in the mean time , still plugging away at her presently making base middle to back bigger and will see how it looks this way i still got both options on the table completely hidden linkages vs typical linkage on out side Grrrrr.
    Anyways If it does not look great i just need to sand it back . i will know by the end of the day which route i will have to go

Attached Files:

14. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Could you maybe mount the servo output shaft directly in line with the hinge line and run a torque rod to the servo from the rudder?

15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Problem with that is the base goes to a point in the front, as well the back
    Where the servo sits now is the widest part as per plan .
    I came up with a plan of attack i just need the middle where servo sits to be 1/4" wider sorta where servo sits so presently added a piece and blending it both ways towards the front i think it will work out well and will be back in business we will see :) if i do not like it i will go to plan B

All i have to do is cut a slot in the wood i added for the circular servo arm but she will be inside then i can run my linkage all hidden

16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Ok well i made some head way even though i feel like crap today as well have had company non stop popping by .

So got both rudder pieces sanded got my rod in my rudder going to dry fit the hinges But stupid me haha sanded a few spots little low on main vertical stabilizer so using filler to make up the difference .

Tomorrow light sand filler rounded up rudder hinge side then dry fit hinges
    line up the rear block and get that drilled through . for linkage
    Once there, i will proceed in mounting servo in its final spot .
    work on some linkage .
    and get back on lower sides i think i have enough balsa to to close it all up then i can proceed in making entry hatch..

Elevators are going to be easy just need to make couple servo boxes as i am lowering them so there centered in the fuse sides IMG6518.jpg IMG6515.jpg

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and EricR like this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well made some progress today need some different linkages for rudder so will get that in few days .
    So other then that cleaning up back end almost have lower base completely done few more spots to work on before glue lower base in place
    I want to get the other elevator on tonight this way i can get both linkages i will need to get it all done have rods but need different control horns then what i have etc

got rear light hole drilled just forming the block presently and i m sicker then a dog today haha

Anyways some pictures Enjoy IMG6520.jpg IMG6521.jpg IMG6543.jpg IMG6544.jpg IMG6546.jpg

18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Owe i forgot almost got thrust tube in :) who ever said Big Gulp plastic bottles were just right for this haha it fit like a glove short about 3" in the back but will fix that up with another one :) IMG6550.jpg IMG6551.jpg IMG6552.jpg IMG6554.jpg IMG6555.jpg

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and EricR like this.
  19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Another day of #$%^^* ING around with rudder base getting real close to being done, Thank #$^%^&*& GOD elevators are done installed and removed for the time being ..
    Want to get onto something easy later on today once back base is installed probably start on NOSE piece :) couple pics of servo and lower framing etc
    IMG6570.jpg IMG6568.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey all tomorrow morning i skin rudder base with Balsa get finish up on servo location on elevators get it all hooked up and skin fuselage .
    Started cleaning up the jet and getting ready to start fine sanding Tomorrow i will form nose piece and order some dental rock got some main electrical holes to drill so looks like by next week or so i should have wings done and those servo's in place

Have thrust tube completed and drying so looks like its coming together much faster then anticipated putting me ahead of the curve

Have canopy on order she is 21" long and 6 " tall thinking i will be ready to glass everything in less then 2 weeks time

Wildthing likes this.