F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Figured i post Today's update for whom ever is watching , got all bottom ribs in and glued little while ago will skin one side of both elevators today, got the frames all sanded nicely and ready .

Today's do list
    Glue in rear side rails , get lower stringers in start skinning the belly tonight

Attached Files:

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  2. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

That is an amazingly detailed scale model. Is this a plan that you purchased from somewhere, or is it available in the public domain?

3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

No sir, its a complete scratch build using plans from J Harel i have pdf files of the plans original size which is a real monster i down sized it 50 percent so have original version and scaled down version in pdf form
    If anyone is interested All Mr Harel said was that these plans are not to be used in any sale from anyone using the plans

So as long as i get a promise from whom ever wants them i will gladly send you them as long as it does not infringe on sites rules etc

Grab a tape measure and measure the original size plane lol its stupid big a person can almost sit in the cockpit IMG5862.jpg

4. That should be really slick.

bimoadiprakoso and Nightswatch like this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I hope so starting to think this build is going to be my master piece :)

6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well another update got one rear side rail glued in an drying its just not about, just adding glue and smacking things together :)
    One has making sure everything is true and square in all directions .

And why its taking longer to do then a typical plane build ,, its rather tedious work dry fitting triple checking before its glued etc
    But i assure everyone once she is done she will fly and look unreal :) IMG6131.jpg IMG6148.jpg IMG6149.jpg IMG6147.jpg

7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well it looks i will get the other rear side rail on in the morning . I want to leave it as is with square in place etc till its fully dry meanwhile started cutting foam pieces for lower skinning which will commence tomorrow night Finally :)
    Yay i get to use my PVC pipe again .

8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Oh i lied haha got it on so can't wait to skin belly tomorrow :) IMG6155.jpg IMG6156.jpg IMG6153.jpg IMG6150.jpg

9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Good afternoon everyone , So today had to get more glue , had to add a few things to fuse just waiting for them to dry .
    I also decided to add another rib on very back end ( Exhaust ) so when i skin she is perfect.
    Should have some nice updated pictures this evening
    Cheers John

10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone figure i post little update, still doing stuff on fuse geez seems like its taking forever haha, i start thinking this then wonder if i should do that .. then think what about that .
    Making sure i am always thinking few steps ahead etc Whats killing my time is the Gorilla cure time etc

So anyways have my skins cut n marked , I squared cut the sheet then proceeded in making skins amazing the DT foam was not square
    Keep that in mind folks . anyways going to start forming it shortly,

Also Got one wing rail glued will do other one in a bout hr.
    Again when GG cures , i have my exhaust rib in as well as stringer attached So now its hurry up n wait
    other then that its coming and plans are to have some skins glued and in place tonight

IMG6168.jpg IMG6177.jpg IMG6178.jpg IMG6183.jpg IMG6184.jpg IMG6188.jpg

Kiko12, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I forgot some pictures of forming :)

Should look sick once on :) IMG6192.jpg IMG6193.jpg

EricR, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Are we ready people :) Skinning has begun IMG6197.jpg IMG6201.jpg IMG6204.jpg IMG6205.jpg IMG6206.jpg IMG6207.jpg

13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Wad upppp well i am happy i got skinning today woohoo . tomorrows goals is to do exhaust end and add 2 more skins to the front of where i started.
    Putting me pretty much in the middle of fuse.
    Then start in the front got lots of work between rib 2 - 3 and the start of cowl making supports and getting it glued in etc leaving center and front retract section open for retract assembly etc.

Once that that is done and dry i will cut out center foam in the back and insert thrust tube

Anyways have a great night everyone I'm getting drunk :) now off work haha IMG6199.jpg IMG6209.jpg IMG6212.jpg IMG6215.jpg

14. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Hey NW, just discovered your thread yesterday - now I'm stuck watching it, like an intriguing suspense movie!
    Amazing build - I'm pretty new to scratchbuilding and have never seen anything like this before. Keep this updates coming.

One question - why Gorilla Glue as your primary glue? I use it sometimes for touch-up repairs (and agree that drying time is a b*tch), but haven't considered it as my main adhesive (but then I've only built with foam and CF rods) - is it about the materials involved? Strength/weight perhaps?

Thanks!

15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thank you splash I use GG for bulkheads, balsa skinning. Usually wood glue for LE to foam because it sands much better than GG. So anywhere that I have to sand I use wood glue.

Reason i like it is because it really bonds to the foam, I personally like the foaming effect it creates . i can visually see where any weak parts will be specially in critical areas .
    But like anything else find what you like and what works for you

I like the weight I personally think when it is completely dry its lighter also
    Only down fall is its set time so it takes couple hrs so one has to pay attention etc

16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Figure I give Everyone a morning update :) it been drying now for few hrs now .

Going to put Couple more on bottom then flip it over and prep top fuselage, have to block stringers, and get it ready will do front to middle section and string very last exhaust section as ell cut out the main floor from rib 6 back

Pleased so far with everything ,
    Cheers John
    IMG6216.jpg IMG6219.jpg IMG6220.jpg IMG6221.jpg IMG6224.jpg

17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

And where i am at now New meaning to carving some weight out of the plane lol

So between Watching Oilers and Montreal game getting top stringers blocked cutting out center, will remove tail section once i have it skinned helps for support etc section now back to the game IMG6234.jpg IMG6233.jpg IMG6241.jpg

EricR, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well Oilers won now the super bowl haha so getting stuff done slowly IMG6254.jpg IMG6248.jpg IMG6249.jpg

19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Not to many talkative people on here, I think i will start posting couple pictures. Once a week or every second week Anyways here is couple what i got done today , next update, will be when rudder is on and completed . show you all finished picture
    Cheers everyone J
    IMG6275.jpg IMG6276.jpg IMG6277.jpg IMG6284.jpg IMG6290.jpg IMG6292.jpg IMG6294.jpg IMG6297.jpg IMG6301.jpg

20. Looking great, any idea of weight when all said and done, say minus edf and batteries.