F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Butch1953

Butch1953 Ace Pilot

Do you know what motor you will use with the 90mm EDF?

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

3. Butch1953

Butch1953 Ace Pilot

Wow that's should blow the wings off haha!

EricR, bimoadiprakoso and Nightswatch like this.
  4. Butch1953

Butch1953 Ace Pilot

Must be a power eater.
    Great unit sounds like a real jet engine.
    Can't wait until I see it fly have fun building that's what it's about.
    Thanks for your time.

5. Butch1953

Butch1953 Ace Pilot

It sure is a bad boy!

6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Man i am lucking out . i mean the 55 percent scale plans is working perfect for 90mm or 105 mm EDF unit my inside cowl diameter is 110 mm for once things are right :)
    So 2 more top ribs to go in and top ribs are done then in morning start on under side IMG5980.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  7. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Does this design incorporate any stringers?

bimoadiprakoso and Nightswatch like this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Yes sir have not place them in yet,
    Balsa stringers will have them going from Rib 2 back should be in tomorrow.

Here is some more updates leaving last rib out for now as that is the one stabs get attached to so getting ready to cut that all out etc and get it done with hardware attached etc IMG5994.jpg IMG5995.jpg IMG5990.jpg IMG5992.jpg

9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

:) running metal tubing in my wings she will be solid my friend :) it should sound and go pretty good but again will see what weights when she is close to being complete might even go bigger time will tell

EricR, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Last up date for this evening flipped fuse over and marked all my positions for lower Ribs , i will glue them all in in morning letting GG set for top ribs
    First thing tomorrow is get my stringers on top in and taped up 1/4" x 1/2" Balsa 2 on top rib sides as well 2 on bottom cowls full length pieces that will keep everything square n level

Glue n tape it up then flip fuse and attach lower ribs from rib 6 to tail pipe going to cut out main fuse floor so it fully hollow
    Where EDF will sit and thrust tube etc.

Looks like Thursday i will start skinning top n bottom areas leaving wing area open for internal work placing servo's and metal rods etc

number 3 and 4 on lowe rib is front retract location :)
    IMG6000.jpg IMG6009.jpg IMG6004.jpg

11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I know one thing that canopy glass is going to be fun to make heat gun and vacuum cleaner :) sure some here are going to like it lol

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well another day plugging away presently gluing in stringers with epoxy glue this should take couple hrs where i am placing stringers i will mark, and cut.
    Once skinned from top rib 2 to 7 will be my hatch and access area clip in and screw in .

Meanwhile i think i am going to make final rib on tail end where horizontal stabs get attached, been avoiding it like the plague not great at angles lol this is should be fun Not

Attached Files:

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  13. Looking good.

14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well another day of getting nothing done lol either phone or this or that :) anyways have top stringers in and done just starting on cutting out Rib 9 and getting her in place I'll be happy
    just those 2 stringers made the fuse rock solid

Attached Files:

15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

haha you all probably getting tired of my updates, Anyways wanted to do a step by step build :) trying not to leave much out, if anyone is ever wanting to give it a try .
    So moving forward Rib 9 is drying , i reinforced it because she is taking the grunt of the elevator load

There going to be angled just like scaled version and a critical joint. And bottom line if it looks bad the whole plane will look bad .

I could of went simple and straight out square etc and would of been easy but that is the easy way out lol and how is one to become a better builder if he doesn't push the envelope

Man am i blabbing along hahaha so this is where i am at Rib 9 is 90 percent done in morning sand it and get it into position and glued.
    I transferred all my air foil spars i made in foam, to balsa.
    framed and glued one elevator will get on other one in morning before i get on last fuse rib .

So yeah its getting angled rods drilled sheet one side of elevators get servo;s and hardware attached inside so its all hidden etc fun fun next day or so make rudder get all that hardware in place and so on and so on :)

Have a good one all

IMG6033.jpg IMG6035.jpg IMG6037.jpg IMG6041.jpg

16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone getting a late start today on the bird :) but got second elevator glued up so now let is set before i move it and get on fuselage
    Balsa side rails, starting on carving rib 9 as i reinforced it , and getting it ready for assembly have my linkage rods bearings etc all ready .
    drill press ready what else am i missing ???. only thing now is make a jig for elevator angles so both sided of fuse is drilled identical @ that angle needed then static balance elevators will be using batteries to balance as in picture once elevators are sanded etc

Slowly but surely will be skinning in no time

IMG6044.jpg IMG6045.jpg IMG6047.jpg IMG6050.jpg

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Pushing forward folks one step at a time and slowly getting there if i can only stay off the golf channel :)

So waiting again on side rails to dry i will bevel the piece i glued on side rail for my elevator angle should work great hope haha
    Working on a Jig that i will clamp in place so i get it right , once i mount it on fuse sides anyways getting close to joining it and getting servo's in then onto wing still got to drill center of the actual elevator for rod mounts etc IMG6051.jpg IMG6055.jpg IMG6061.jpg IMG6064.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  18. Golf channel, REALLY ??????????? :( :( :( :( BORING

19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

lol last year i golfed literally every second day What you telling me you never golfed silver wood ??

20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Oh yeah baby its coming alive :) Now she is ready for last rib on fuse :) IMG6067.jpg IMG6088.jpg IMG6086.jpg