F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I think you're going to have to add another 3k USD to your cost sheet! Wow this is cool.

http://www.jetcatusa.com/rc-turbines/turbine-details/p160-sx/

2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Actually this is going EDF thinking 90 or 120 mm will see when getting it to that stage

Anyways got some stuff done working on ribs from front to back its going to take a bit that is for sure.
    IMG5879.jpg IMG5882.jpg IMG5883.jpg IMG5888.jpg IMG5892.jpg

3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

And few other pictures i know i know everyone loves pictures :)

Attached Files:

4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well another, enjoyable day cutting jigs for ribs. looks like this will be a all day project , cutting, sanding wood etc
    Guessing it should start taking form in next day or so .

Anyways brother showed up little while ago brought me F 16 model so will use that as reference.
    Anyone wanna come over n help haha

5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well this old guy is taking his sweet old time getting ribs cut out have most of the ribs done few more left then off to making them . going to leave the bottom right side together as per retracts till the time comes when i assemble it .
    Don't want to cut out anything by mistake

I hate when a good movie comes on get caught up in it :) Unforgiven Clint rocks

IMG5902.jpg IMG5903.jpg

6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey i need some help here , on last few ribs of fuselage which will determine if this plane a F16 A
    or F 16 B

Whats your thoughts peeps

7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

After looking at a ton of pictures last night and this morning i decided to go single seat canopy it just looks better.
    Think i am going to have to change one or two ribs that are already done, no biggie .

So today plans are to get a really big dent in her stay tuned should look pretty good.
    Front forward fuse as solid floor back will be skeleton frame
    Least that is what i am hoping for lol

8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Here is what my messy table looks like this morning haha instead of making 2 new ribs for front canopy i just glued in the difference with scrap pieces . and completed my other 2 back end ribs today .

Rib foam jigs are all done, so now transferring my foam cut out jigs to Wood :) working my way from front to back
    Now the thinking is over :) time for the labor part :) jig sawing and sanding

So the plan is cut the front half ribs upper and lower portion till i get to rib 5 where it becomes full piece top to bottom well least i think that is my plan haha IMG5909.jpg IMG5910.jpg

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

So now i wait for GG to set 2 hrs etc
    So decided to start making front part of air intake that is not attached to the fuse about 2..5 inches or so used my pvc pipe to start bending foam just like rolling pizza :)
    made 2 cutouts of outter design and taped it in place
    Now i will mark front point as in picture, ( top ) closest to Fuselage, And cut it
    once i am happy i will glue it up and tape it
    later i will mount it to existing nacelle with inner supports the inner diameter jigs will be removed so will be open its just to help it keep its form while she sets

Attached Files:

10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

OK got front air intake done and glued.
    Onto next step, hoping to have front fuse ribs in today :) looks like the GG has dried up enough to work on her some more mounting 1 thru 4 ribs top and bottom ..

My clamp set up for front ribs i had to change seems to work prefect Clothes line pins etc IMG5913.jpg IMG5929.jpg

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well its getting real close. Folks i probably not get the ribs glued in in tonight looks like tomorrow.
    But will have main fuse bonded together lots of sanding lining up and figuring things cutting ribs for tops and bottoms etc
    on the plans i just placed the single seat on top did not want to cut it out who knows maybe after Wild thing decides he wants this one i make another one haha

Anyways back to sanding and cutting more ribs fun fun

Happy with the progress lots of print reading and rechecking and measuring IMG5938.jpg IMG5940.jpg IMG5941.jpg IMG5945.jpg IMG5946.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  12. Butch1953

Butch1953 Ace Pilot

What kink of power set up will fly this outstanding bird.

Nightswatch and Wildthing like this.
  13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Not sure yet thinking more in the lines of something like 90 mm maybe 120 mm pending on weight .
    TBH i think she is going to be pretty light but we will see when i get close to that stage ..

Wildthing likes this.
  14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well back at her for another day :) so today's project is gluing both fuselage pieces together , and start on wings while its drying .
    All Fuselage ribs are complete, Reason i am starting on wing is.
    I want to get fuselage side rails attached ( Balsa ) 4 pcs where wing and fuse join. This way i build i can build up insides sand etc so when i skin it all forms a nice flow perfectly like in this picture once i have both glued on fuse its skin time :) IMG_1451 (3).jpg IMG_1451 (4).jpg

jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Geez this day is flying by and i am accomplishing nothing haha seriously dang tracing airfoils etc for elevators and wing etc are time consuming and i have not even cut them out yet lol IMG5949.jpg IMG5952.jpg IMG5955.jpg

jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

little up date so today been a write off :) no matter what , was always being pulled away from build .
    One thing or another .
    Anyways have everything cut for horizontal stabiizer. elevators there going to be fully functional , didn't even touch wing today but have paper parts cut out
    Main fuse is glued and i had to copy all rib jigs being i am cutting them in half , for tops n under fuse
    This way i have complete plans always rather then re printing

So long story short started on gluing the top ribs now its going to take shape :) doing every second one 1 3 5 etc tomorrow will do evens
    leaving me room to place squares n pins ,Not to many talkative people in here lmao
    IMG5956.jpg IMG5957.jpg IMG5958.jpg IMG5959.jpg

17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well slowly but surely on rib 5 A and 5 B this is where it gets little tricky this is where compartments start coming into play 5 A thru 7 where EDF unit electrical compartments servo etc start playing a roll :) but its getting there slowly but surely IMG5965.jpg IMG5968.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

woo hoo getting real excited lol starting to look like a Fuselage folks :) got 5 A and 5 B in now just waiting on f 7 and 8 to dry up then mount it , hoping tonight i can turn it over and glue bottom Rib , cowls etc then start skinning some areas tomorrow

IMG5972.jpg

Wildthing and Butch1953 like this.
  19. Butch1953

Butch1953 Ace Pilot

Looking real good!!

Wildthing and Nightswatch like this.
  20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thanks Butch now i am working on 96 mm thrust tube that will be inside rib 7 and on to back end about 14" making it longer as per final trimming when i place 90 mm EDF unit in her
    Final tube length will be 11 "

Wildthing likes this.