F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey all well bird is on final sanding on fuse then prime and make my lines n rivets presently been getting all missiles tanks primed and as well lines rivets and markings indoors working out door for sanding / painting and etc weather has been terrible, but going ahead and doing my second glass coat on inner air intake today so i can close it all up once n for all
    here is a shot of ventral fins still need to make few rivet lines on elevators to finish it all off right
    Anyways plan of attack today is getting final glass on intake air intake and working on front section gluing in the M 61 cannon and nose section scaled pieces etc.
    I still need to cut out portion of wing behind cannon for air vents which i should hopefully have done today other then that in few days will post finished project
    Final weight is coming in around 9 pounds fully loaded and air ready but it looks amazing IMG8637.jpg IMG8617.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Shannon, Wildthing and EricR like this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

PS Pictures from a while ago priming and blocking what a job man lol obviously i did a very bad job on glassing so many uneven spots that i had to build up and sand down But she is now almost perfect and streamlined and ready for priming and lines etc
    IMG8607.jpg IMG8609.jpg

Shannon, Nakul, malukk and 2 others like this.
  3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well got air intake glassed happy about that now i can actually get it installed and front retract glued in once n for all Tomorrow .
    Will need some minor sanding in that area and she will be done
    Yee haw i can start detailing fuse tomorrow .
    Here is a pic of one tank done now onto other one then few coats of paint some coloring and its ready to install IMG8640.jpg IMG8639.jpg

Shannon, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well didn't get much done today tomorrow sand n paint air intake and mount and close up front retract area IMG8649.jpg

Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

oh hell retract and air intake glued into place :) IMG8655.jpg tomorrow attach and mount

Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Little update everything is in mounted except speed brakes having some minor issues with linkages interfering with elevator linkage.
    Pretty tight in there i should of made this bird 1/5th or 1/6th scale but will make it work . Presently blocking and and filling under wing and fuse area she she is almost ready for final detailing and paint lines rivets etc here is fuse air vent that needs to be cut in fuse etc
    Note on last picture the vents on fuse IMG8679.jpg IMG8711.jpg f16armament (1).jpg

Wildthing and Shannon like this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

The last picture is what i am referencing rivets and lines for my bird

Shannon likes this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well far cry from what i expected for weight with everything in servo's, actuators, control rods edf and motor, and batteries and being glassed has come to just under 12 lbs shes heavy but amazed how it has balance out both vertically and horizontally .
    It should fly with authority and extremely stable well lets hope retracts , motor and batteries is what really packed on the weight rather fast .. was like wow ..

Will post some pictures shortly presently making stencils for fuselage detailing .

Took a few days to get nose section just right with sanding and filling etc but overall she was a long build and happy its coming to a end .. its one of them builds where you work on it then put it aside as life takes its priorities or your waiting on parts or just get bored of it haha ..

Anyways still undecided on color scheme have a few things, thinking of doing to make it a one off Here are some older pictures getting things lines up etc
    IMG8667.jpg IMG8684.jpg IMG8706.jpg

EricR, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

A sneak peak of sorta design i will be following for 16 color scheme i think with some black coloring on leading edge slat areas as well as front of elevators and rudder light bluish gray for main base color , gray white possibly yellow as well as blues into the equation and off course air brushed weathering in gun area ailerons exhaust as well as landing area as well as full decals rivet lines etc more in the military scheme full lines will be on cowl sides and bottom rather then in this picture where it runs on the sides Tomorrow i finally get on actual putting down the lines on surface areas then its first full coat of main paint scheme Colorcheme.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  10. Hurry up and get that thing in the air. ;)

Nightswatch likes this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I'm trying man if work would friggen slow down problem is when i get home, I'm so beat i just want to lay around rather then work on anything

Kiko12 and Wildthing like this.
  12. I hear you. ;)

13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

sure you do says the man who moves earth with bobcats me in most cases it wheel barrel other day i shoveled 18 yards @ 2200 pounds a yard surprised this old bugger is not in a wheel chair lol
    This build was a mess specially with scaled retracts and getting it all lined up specially when the the the original plans should of been bigger in all honesty this plane should of been least Scaled up bit more from what it is the from air inlet issues to putting in the landing gear lots of modding needed to be done internally and externally .. that alone set me back large then it came to glassing :) i am no pro and took it to shop to get done at the time it sat there for 2 weeks they did nothing.
    so when i did it looked great but she was wavy so right there ton of sanding and re filling took place and that took again lots of time this is not sanding foam this was sanding the finest white dust epoxy resin poison one would stop breathing just looking at the dust haha . would of been much easier to have it all separated when i glassed but i want to make it one solid fuse and wing all glassed as one unit

Anyways so yeah its been a long journey still have some minor stuff do to to belly of fuse as in filling and sanding to get it stream lined around front and main landing gear
    other then that started marking top of fuse area and wing for initial body lines etc now just to apply chart pak
    Got today off to work Si if i can get motivated will work on belly just need to get some more paint material loll its never ending 7 bucks her 7 bucks before you know it 100 bucks just on paint supplies

Wildthing likes this.
  14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Found some pictures in my phone that i forgot to post when i put in the landing gear So being like i mentioned the the actual plan being sightly smaller then HSD 16 the landing gear was in a sense bigger then i would of figured but i wanted locking bars and more of a scaled gear with also braking system
    So modding had to be done because fuse was narrower then actual gear width when doors were attached

. So What i had to do is more or less put in fillers around both landing gear and blend them into the body, re glass etc etc etc in order to do this with out going way over board and putting it way out of wack on lower fuse .
    what i did was lower the main gear assembly approx 1/2 " deeper into the fuse this way i did not have such a huge area to fill and kept everything in sink

here are some filler pieces that i had made as well as nose pitot tube i finished so had to sand lower fuse glue fillers into place then sand and block it until everything was flush re glass and touch up etc etc etc
    Either way it turned out really nice and happy with the results

IMG8723.jpg IMG8724.jpg IMG8726.jpg IMG8727.jpg

15. But will it fly???? ;)

16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

100 percent positive it will fly this bird has balanced out perfect its bang on vertically and horizontally in all directions may take bigger runway but again who knows what this JP 105 mm EDF on 12 s will do.
    Took it to rc meeting and many said the same thing she will fly

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Also when i was at meeting we re weighted it because something didn't add up , Both batteries were in two 6s 22.2 v 5200 mAh 50C total weight came out @ 4430 grams so 9.76 pounds loaded
    My scales are out big time you should of seen the smile on my face because i was chewing my finger nails at the time lol
    Specially when you had 18 members all around the table haha

7.5 kg of thrust or 16 + pounds of thrust should make this thing a rocket like many people there said

Edit forgot to mention some very experienced EDF members said same thing it will be a Rocket anything over 2/3 performs well

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    EricR and Wildthing like this.
  18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey all well getting things buttoned up and finally getting things finally done cosmetically , have couple days free so plans are to really spend some time on her hoping to have everything primed and ready for rivets n lines in next day or so pending on weather i think i am about 2 weeks away from actual maiden flight getting excited :)
    Have to wait till last week of the month club meeting where there going to help me bind everything and get everything sorted out

Now to open up a You tube account IMG8740.jpg 2017-10-16 11.21.05.jpg

Kiko12 and EricR like this.
  19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Yay doors working like a charm lights attached time to finish up all the sandin and get priming today 2017-10-17 12.44.59.jpg 2017-10-17 12.44.05.jpg

Kiko12, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hoping to have some video up for you guys tomorrow :) first etch coat on lower wings tomorrow fuse and wings will be completely done and ready for chartpack and rivets 2017-10-18 18.48.28.jpg

Kiko12, BarryM, EricR and 1 other person like this.