F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

While i am here excited got call from 3d shop heading there today hope he has functional exhaust done :)

Wildthing likes this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

lol postponed until tomorrow there printing things as we speak :) Soon peeps :)

harlow8410 and Wildthing like this.
  3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Little update had some time to work on the 16 today i been getting little time been busy but .
    finally got front plug corrected .
    Going to skin it with DTF sp inner plug once glassed is smooth Now to get main gear in and plug behind it to EDF inlet as well as door servo box in its right position . Still some tinkering and building door servo supports etc

i promised my self by next week end its all glassed with final cloth then its all just minor sanding rudder assembly and onto paint

Still lots to do cutting out lower fuse where EDF will be installed want a screw hatch there wooden tray for electronics Gyro batteries etc
    PS mounting nose on a pusher prop while i am working with pink foam IMG8412.jpg IMG8418.jpg IMG8425.jpg IMG8428.jpg IMG8421.jpg IMG8423.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well getting main gear close few more mods to actual fuse presently getting ready to glass lower back fuse section tonight .
    So i can cut out section where EDF will be placed will be remounted with screws for easy access
    also allowing me to form fit retract supports as well as EDF my rib is about half inch out so in order for Main gear to be placed perfect so again never ending and she is pretty much ready to drop in .
    Presently doing stuff which should of been done at the beginning that what happens when one does not have the EDF landing gear before the build lesson learnt lol..
    Been pretty windy here as of late and been pulling out some toys Time for some soaring IMG8431.jpg IMG8435.jpg IMG8437.jpg IMG8900.jpg 20170810_184709_1200x675.jpg

5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hwy everyone have some time today to work on main landing gear . Slowly getting lt all lined up linkages etc hoping to have it all boxed up then one can just drop it in :)
    Will be also placing some foam on top to cover retracts as well as some wood spars IMG8446.jpg IMG8447.jpg IMG8453.jpg IMG8449.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well getting things closer have another day off tomorrow so will get her done center section glued in with carbon rod , need to enclose little section where actual door hinges are attached to fuse thats pretty much next step once that is done and hinges are in position i can power it up and test it out ,
    then cut rib 6 and 7 half out on fuse then drop her in and epoxy into place man IMG8456.jpg IMG8462.jpg

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  7. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Your right about takeoff and landings, of the 2, landing is more of a problem due to the time delay of spooling up/down for change of thrust. Too much, or too late, is what causes the crashes. Talk to some of the jet jockeys on how they set up the throttle curve. I did the same for my dual 70 edf's. Works wonders.

Wildthing and Nightswatch like this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well getting a early jump on main landing gear need to get some supplies this morning when things open up
    ,. had to work last 2 days so got nothing done
    Gong to be lots of block forming today for air intake as well for EDF location molding everything into the rear fuse that area needs to be structurally sound specially on 12 S

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

On final sand and finally assembly man talk about fine white dust from epoxy .
    presently installing Speed brakes Exhaust piece is not glassed will be cutting out and replacing it with functional exhaust / turkey feathers etc

Attached Files:

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well waiting on epoxy resin as i ran out some detailing while i wait lines on will coat then its onto rivets IMG8550.jpg IMG8555.jpg IMG8556.jpg

Airflow, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  11. FlyteTime and Nightswatch like this.
  12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

first coat on will apply 3 coats wet sand then rivets

Attached Files:

13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well pending on how works goes i just need to reinforce landing gear and EDF locations mount glass front cowl do second coat on under side of fuse Install edf batteries etc .. sand , prime then details who knows might not even see the sky this year but it will
    only working on it here n there
    Also have few other projects coming up that will take priority from a company that is designing a new 1/5th scale kit JET i was chosen as one of the pre kit builders which is pretty friggen cool . so once that lands on my front doot it will take priority over everything else expected arrival is end of Sept all it costs me is shipping which is about 230 bucks this company doesn't fool around :) 17021857_1367709876585258_26358493112014114_n.jpg 16865231_1367709566585289_4371022633890506727_n.jpg

PS Turbine version i will be making

Airflow, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

So going to try something different for rivets just on horizontals which i hope turns out so letting her dry then wet sand and coat rivet area should be good to go .. IMG8562.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  15. Just put it together and fly it. ;)

Splashballz and Nightswatch like this.
  16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Gone this far might as well finish off all the detail like airvents rivits etc haha not like most it gets into the air when it gets into the air ..
    I got this month to get it there if not its on the back burner

Splashballz likes this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

well lets sand her and see what it comes out looking like :) IMG8564.jpg IMG8565.jpg IMG8566.jpg

18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well still no shipment on epoxy resin must be in high demand :) have everything ready to put in . its always one thing anyways going to do some more detailing later on Horizontal stabs turned out really good pretty happy now onto Rudder an misc

Attached Files:

19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well sneak people ppl F 16 is almost all painted here is my painted exhaust will post complete finished product shortly i did not go with functional turkey feathers the design was not complete but plan on making a 1/5th scale 16 in the future where it will have functioning canopy , brakes , and exhaust guess one could say this build was a trial and error but its looking really Good just re blocking fuse because of some noticeable waves
    exhaust.jpg

20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

well finally getting things in order i come to realize i suck when it comes to glassing haha it looked great until it got its first coat lots of work needed to be done to correct fuse waves high spots low spots . So between work and little time on bird its getting there
    That's the problem when you have wing fully attached and such a large surface to glass the resin will flow even when its been carded off
    And it still had high and low spots but the end is near . lol
    Thank God presently getting her ready for fuse lines and rivets got rivets on one elevator anyways here is a shot of one elevator done now to sand it and get final paint on IMG8614.jpg