F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone pretty excited picking up my speed brakes in the morning ) as well got all my parts sanded again did 2 coats of primer then blocked all parts sanded down any high spots next coat is my rivet and body line layers

Rudder top is done . Also put my last coat of spackle in a few spots on fuse tonight will do final sand tomorrow as well finish up to speed brake, area then glass wings and top of fuse . speed brake will go on after fuse is glassed
    Looks like Sunday will have most of fuse glassed an d primed hopefully brakes attached

Nakul, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey all figure i give a little update So pretty much same ole same ole worked on Nose getting it better formed, cut back my side fins a bit worked on fuse as well as rear fuse sides , as rear is opened up formed exhaust as well
    Rain and pretty Humid so takes a lot longer for things to dry ..
    Tomorrow things come together, plans are to assemble Speed brakes , box up my elevator area skin it and attach brake
    Getting things ready to glass, Grease in aileron linkage area taped etc epoxy gets in there plane has just become a model my bad should of glassed them prior to assembling them .

I also weight her today mind you spackle was wet, lots of tape n grease etc she came out to 930 grams but she balances on the scale haha. Anyways hoping to see glass maybe my sunday

Shes a pretty Big bird
    IMG8290.jpg IMG8301.jpg IMG8304.jpg IMG8314.jpg IMG8311.jpg IMG8324.jpg

Nakul, EricR, Sterling101 and 4 others like this.
  3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well worked yesterday on new customers landscaping so pretty much got very little done on my bird which is ok its good to take a few days off from working on it But anyways need to get some linkage pins to get speed brakes together.
    its Also to humid out to glass its amazing how the balsa absorbs or even warps a bit when you have it outside i refuse to glass indoors so will wait on that . its like a magnet to moisture :)
    So just doing little stuff like missile holders some light sanding etc still no control module so i can get retracts in should be here in the next week it better or i will be really pissed IMG8346.jpg IMG8349.jpg

Wildthing and Splashballz like this.
  4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well little update have all missiles , holders done tonight glue in the fins on them all . Control modules came in ordered 2 of them 11 bucks well worth it this way i can possibly do another F 16 down the road etc monster size 120 mm EDF

Anyways some update pictures Being everyone has been on the retract craze haha i figured i better join the party i ordered door hinges doors retract bay etc.
    It just makes it that much better :) rather then screw around with adjusting and lining up the doors i made
    So got front assembly done all servo's steering doors linkages in place now just drop it in :) Oh you don't want to know what these HSD retracts costed and parts lol but i have to say holy cow are they scaled and huge IMG8356.jpg

Wildthing and Splashballz like this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Retract update JP brakes installed retract in main base Now onto attaching door servo's and doors :) shes big going to have to do some modifications to main ribs on fuse Grr but it will look sweet IMG8359.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Getting close some main fuse carving then glassing ribs for maximum support IMG8362.jpg IMG8360.jpg

EricR likes this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Little update :) front retract is almost mounted , Have to do some modifications to fiber glassed air intake so cowl entrance is the same and it goes in 2.5 inches " that is where i am going to have to cut it then angle it up then re glue so intake goes further up into fuse and goes on top of front retract so in reality air intake top skin is where i glue velcro for batteries and be my main table .. the front retract box is huge to give you a idea the tires are like 2.5 " round haha Big tires n rims the front cowl when looking in it is full with hardly any room for air to enter the EDF
    So in a sense cutting out some bottom fuse making her lighter lol

It is what it is that's the thing about scratch building its them changes

Other then that Working all around the plane making missiles, assembling Speed brakes tues next week is when i get my exhaust cone and detailed parts which will really finish up the back end meanwhile going to get speed brakes on .
    Ordered 15 mm actuators for speed brakes lots of detail and fine sanding 3 d parts so they operate smoothly etc IMG8379.jpg IMG8377.jpg IMG8373.jpg

BarryM, Wildthing and EricR like this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

little update first glass coat on :) IMG8381.jpg IMG8384.jpg

9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Getting real close to having air intake plug done opened up inside the fuse etc presently working on that as well filling up areas on inside sides of front retracts so retracts are fused to fuselage an solid for the harder landings .
    Really happy with how the front cowl has taken shape , looks pretty scale .

PS glad to say i did not glue my ailerons in haha

IMG8399.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  10. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

I'm glad you mentioned this, because when I saw that was going in the air intake I was concerned about it blocking too much airflow. Hopefully rerouting the intake air won't restrict it too much. Assume you'll be doing some thrust testing before flying to ensure you have enough thrust to get that beauty off the ground. :)

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Wildthing and Nightswatch like this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Yes my eyes popped out when i place front retract in area was like ok now what,,,, So cut my initial air glass air intake just in front of beginning of retract box and angled it properly just working on plug .
    Here is another pic showing blockage the foam is start of new plug
    Note when done you will not see retracts in the cowl it will round upwards will look pretty much like real thing i hope lol
    IMG8400.jpg

Grabber5.0 and Wildthing like this.
  12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Bombs away :) alright guys n gals Quiz name what type they are ;) IMG8403.jpg

Grabber5.0 and Wildthing like this.
  13. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

So, what is powering this and are you doing Thrust Vectoring?

Nightswatch likes this.
  14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I am going with JP 105 mm EDF 12 s 5.4 kg of thrust no thrust vectoring presently working with 3 d shop there trying to make my exhaust nozzle functional with hinged rings, we see what happens there so if anything i will be able to open up and close up exhaust

IMG_8643.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

16. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Trying from memory.. AIM9M Sidewinder is obvious.. I believe the larger missiles are Sparrows, and I want to say MK-82 bombs?

17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

one is GBU 12 laser guided smart bomb wing tip Aim 9 's and the fatter ones AGM 12 Bull pup missiles :)

Wildthing likes this.
  18. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

At least I didn't blow the easy one. :D

19. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Can't wait to see in flight.

Today at club field, they allowed a jet trainer using a kerosene burner and sounded like the real thing(real noisy and smelly) as it flew. All the pilot did was turn a valve, flip a switch and it started spooling up and settled in at idol speed. Trainer went straight up out of sight and probably averaged 150 mph around the field. Hey, only cost about $4000. Jet engine has to be sent back to factory every 25 hours of flight!!!
    to be checked. Now that's what I would like to do.

20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I have come to the conclusion that building a scaled version of any model it will cost more after its all said n done of course its fun scratch building , time consuming and believe it or not Expensive when you add it all up 40 bucks here couple hundred there etc before you know it you could of in my case easily purchased one and saved money ..

Those turbines sure sound amazing and rip in the sky but again that stage is a rich mans hobby then one also needs to have a waiver to even fly a turbine jet.
    Jets are not difficult to fly, they are simply different, and you need to be taught the difference. i think the most crucial part of Turbines is take offs and landings

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/510-d.pdf

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.