F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

woo hoo got it all lined up time to glue canopy into position fill it and mold it to fuselage.
    Glass it. then cut it all out again lol .
    literally from rudder base to nose this will be one big hatch
    Also for anyone looking for a good glue that takes like 40 seconds to bond i wanted to give the Gorrila super glue a go its great for literally anything plastic, wood , foam its like CA very light weight i like it and its going to be part of my glues i will use from now on

IMG8104.jpg IMG8102.jpg IMG8105.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Now its looking like something :) first coat on IMG8106.jpg IMG8107.jpg IMG8108.jpg IMG8116.jpg IMG8118.jpg IMG8119.jpg

3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well ground to wet to work @ Job site so its get the top of 16 ready for glass hopefully glassed by end of the day IMG8130.jpg IMG8134.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    bobdabilduh55 and Wildthing like this.
  4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well filling has commenced and while its drying figuring out how i will make a spring loaded locking mechanism for top hatch thinking parts from a pen with some other pieces
    It should look good when all sensors are on and in position

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well its getting there folks on second last coat then prep for glass hoping to get first layer on tonight so can't wait to start scoring fuse lines and doing rivets this bird will look insane :)
    Was just going over retracts and realized that i got no electronic controller module WTF so just ordered one from motion RC 11 bucks lol.

IMG8153.jpg

Attached Files:

bobdabilduh55 and Wildthing like this.
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well i didn't get her glassed to night but got it to last coat i hope guess tomorrow final sand with 320 and see where its at hoping late tomorrow night i really want to get the top and sides glassed ASAP
    I also finally made my 10 degree Jigs for elevators so i can get them drilled on fuselage sides prior to glassing as well have bearings rods and all material to mount them once i am installing retracts i will get them installed only after bottom rear fuse to tail is glassed

Other then that its looking real good lol playin around with the missiles IMG8164.jpg IMG8170.jpg

Wildthing, Nakul and Sterling101 like this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well couple updates got fuselage really close been forming everything got elevators done rod in place weights in elevator , and there ready for glass still got some shaping and light filling to do getting there IMG8188.jpg IMG8176.jpg IMG8177.jpg IMG8184.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Other then that there is only one issue i did not for see well i did but thought nothing of it
    Rain and taking a day off work so have one glitch
    Being that i used Balsa for elevators what has occurred is being side of fuse is 6 ml foam , and i didn't use foam on elevators the thickness of elevator when joining them to fuse
    So shaving the rear section sides of foam so its lines up right other then that happy with progress may have to re due the back end side pieces will see but thinking back rear side tips beside Exhaust might be going to balsa so i get sharp tips other then that

Also getting things lined up and traced for fuse lines and rivet locations etc will be using these plastic sheet and using a projector on a wall to get all fuse lines wings etc then its just tape onto fuse and score and dremel rivets where they belong you can also use plastic for sale signs they work great also IMG8191.jpg

9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

So after using protractor on few items i came to the conclusion the dehidral is 10 degrees on elevators so went ahead and made my blocks will have one bearing on outer fuse to elevator and the other on back end of the block this will allow for 0 movement other then what its suppose to do :) presently getting ready to glue it all up IMG8192.jpg IMG8195.jpg IMG8197.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

So as i am opening up and working on the back end sides of fuse and have to make new section out of Balsa coming to the conclusion how much more would it take to make functional Air brakes :) now that would be pretty cool

And looking at actual F 16 flight manual air brakes are deployed when retracts are down so this might really help with my landings and such also slowing bird down just before touch down My retracts do have the JP 60 mm Brake system not worried about stopping on the ground ,
    So thinking mixing it in with retract as there deployed for landings

11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well i think i got the Airbrake hinge figures out i am so going to try to make it happen haha like in video going to close up or more or less box up right behind elevator mount which will leave me 3 " to make airbrakes only thing i will have to do is drill hole thru first part of the 2 part section
    Anyways one thing at a time elevator blocks glued in once dry i will use more wood and box it up then get on making air brakes tops and bottoms

Wildthing likes this.
  12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Ok update time :) got elevators mounted still need to play with one side a bit . But i am happy Here it is 10 degree dihedral now to box it up and get on air brake assembly then top is pretty much done glass it retracts next week IMG8209.jpg IMG8211.jpg IMG8212.jpg IMG8215.jpg IMG8217.jpg IMG8219.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

well got my supplies today now to make the plugs for speed brakes and linkages IMG8220.jpg

Sterling101 likes this.
  14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey all well i played around with speed break today little bit and its not as easy as it looks :)

I came up with s few options was thinking live carbon rein enforced laminated hinges , aluminum tube etc to have both joined together no matter what they have to be movable an joined together
    Other option is actual tracking along side metal rod as servo pulls it back she opens and closes vice versa that leaves me with again placing alumunim tube on back end with rod so there hinged we will see going to play with it for a few more days if not then hell with it :) .
    its not going to take long to close it all up and have it ready for glass anyways but t would be cool if not oh well not going to lose sleep over it haha

Its all pretty much ready for glass anyways other then the few bruises bottom got from movin it around the table you know bumps n bruises haha
    i want to glass bottom first anyways this way the top has no creases on side edges all overlap creases can be sanded on bottom of fuse hidden from plane site if there is any imperfections
    Anyways going to play with it for a few days then get on retracts will post pictures
    Cheers J

PS Now is where a decent 3d printer would come in handy

Attached Files:

Wildthing and Splashballz like this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Ok i come to the conclusion that making speed brakes from scratch is going to be incredibly time consuming so at wits end on that .
    I put the word out on FB if anyone close by has a 3 d printer because Only way its going to happen is 3d print made

Cough Cough Hey Jeff :) your printer cooled down yet from the P 38 lol Going to email you some files could you please check if all the codes are there to get it printed .. found 3d speed brakes and exhaust covers this will finish off the bird rather nice
    other then that got lots of stuff glassed last night going to sand them today and get primer on them, meanwhile waiting on F 16 control module i hope it comes in this week then retracts , doors are in and working

So other then that just little things to get done like very top section of rudder which i have not made yet servos for elevators and ailerons go in last after its all glassed and hatches cut out on sides etc so in reality its coming close to being completed
    Also contemplating if i should just go ahead and glass up to speed brake area today want to get some color on this bird and going to be lots of scoring and rivets might as well get started on that :) Assemblage4a.JPG Assemblage4b.JPG Assemblage4c.jpg Nozzle_1_preview_featured.jpg Nozzle_7_preview_featured.jpg img9001.jpg

16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Oh i forgot the here is exact 3 d printed speed brakes that will work perfect and scale

17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

So today been workin on bird off and on sanding glassed parts getting them ready for color , its time consuming when using 320 grit and up Anyways one elevator is done presently working on other one weight came in @ 22 grams that is with weights in inner front section now to sand other one and get it in the same weight . i think that is really light considering they been glassed ..

Anyways i been looking at color schemes and really liking the artic Camo or this one i was going to go with the normal color scheme so may have to take a vote and see what scheme we should paint her its coming that time shortly i am so whats everyone's thoughts Artic or the colors on next picture
    artic-f16.jpg Splinter.jpg

Nakul likes this.
  18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

OK for anyone watching first coat of primer has begun :) on glassed pieces presently sanding and assembling rudder , lower ventral fins primed ,as well as drop tank rails IMG8246.jpg IMG8250.jpg IMG8256.jpg Underwing-01.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well some more painting and making few items :) today still no control module that sucks hoping tomorrow grr going to work on fuse some more and probably glass it tonight :) oh yeah baby lets get this bird colored least i can start on the slow process of scoring and making rivets :) still undecided on final paint scheme other then that ready to start carving the very top of rudder piece an get that glassed and installed

Note on lower piece on bottom of rudder near lower right wolf i think i have to make one lol

IMG8257.jpg IMG8259.jpg IMG8260.jpg 22-tail-fin.jpg

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well got rudder back together as well top part glued in , will just brush on some epoxy resin on the wood just need some minor sanding other then that going to give it to fri for control module, if its not in.
    Then plans are to start glassing fuselage Friday and start cutting my body lines, and rivets and finally install rudder onto fuse this week end servo linkage and all so i can close up the hatch area and fine sand Blend it all in

As for speed brakes No matter what, i will not see any printed speed brakes till mid next week but that will be easy run two ` 15 mm actuators for them run on 6 v right beside elevator servo's
    There like 14 bucks a piece US

Really looking stream lines :) IMG8279.jpg IMG8278.jpg IMG8272.jpg IMG8271.jpg