F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Couple more pictures have front cowl and next section glued and first coat of fill on them one more fine coat once sanded and some dry fitting to make sure its all good. i tell you after 4th attempt at making the second section of the cowl with DTF i gave up haha and went with solid foam block
    Then get it glassed .
    Still have to add cowl side light pretty simple drill holes add light and glue in lenses only lighting this bird is going to have is landing gear cowl and rear

As for canopy still making cockpit area which is time consuming and boring task haha and its got to be done prior to gluing in canopy .. My side rails for canopy are done . So its work on that a bit then move on to other things like Missile holders and fuel tank holders . Fuel tank holders are easy the actual missile racks are the ones that need some time to get right .
    this bird will have 2 fuel tanks wingtip missiles as well as 2 missiles under each wing
    Waiting on my plastic sheeting to arrive where i will design all the lines rivets and top extra strength plating which scoring tool and dremel are used after first coat of prime after its all glassed cockpit_layout.jpg block32.jpg IMG7881.jpg IMG7884.jpg E-609_012.jpg IMG7888.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Nice, A Scandinavian F-16, Danish.:) We often had visits of Norwegian F16's during my time in the air force.
    They did not sound half as loud and low-frequency, like thunder! that our Viggen did back then in the good old 80s! :)

Wildthing likes this.
  3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

:) just one of the pictures i am using to make missile holders anyways little update F-16_Fighting_Falcon_air_intake.JPG IMG7907.jpg

EricR, Wildthing and Airflow like this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Nice, the intake looks very good when comparing to the full scale.

Wildthing and Nightswatch like this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Almost got cowl done looks slick glassed some more today should have rudder all mounted this week with linkage, servo etc slowly getting there lol IMG7984.jpg IMG7930.jpg IMG7936.jpg IMG7970.jpg IMG7962.jpg

EricR, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well got a day off, time to get some color in some places and canopy finally done :) with light mist of rain can't ask for a better day

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well got to spend few hrs on cockpit today Anyways good enough for this cowboy .
    Now with some minor color detail and will post some more shots in a while presently detailing knobs and inner cockpit then its onto gluing in seat pilot and canopy :) IMG7993.jpg IMG7996.jpg IMG8000.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

And its getting real close to being done few more things to put on. In the morning I think it looks pretty slick IMG8014.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

lol well had a look at her this morning and was not satisfied one to many beer last night haha anyways revised IMG8018.jpg

Sterling101 likes this.
  10. okie86

okie86 Airman

Looks amazing

Nightswatch likes this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Ty sir its almost there to where i am satisfied

Wildthing likes this.
  12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well getting real close time to work on seat as Wild hing printed it the original seat , i am thinking of making it out of balsa and foam as it does pack some weight .
    It also is close to scale but on the taller side If i remember correctly seat height was almost 7"
    Anyways as i do not want to cut into the main floor under the canopy as its going to hold few items as in steering servo's front door servos right under neath main floor . And above hold some other electronics thinking making one seems a better idea
    Anyways front cockit area is done now onto seat etc lol this detailing is driving me crazy haha but so be it .

It does look killer and Believe it or not , these little things is what makes the WOW into a scratch build when ppl ask where you bought it :)

Just like front air intake angle and opening lot harder to replicate from scratch then it looks IMG8024.jpg IMG8041.jpg IMG8030.jpg IMG8046.jpg IMG8038.jpg IMG8048.jpg IMG8049.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Oh yeah baby you know person gets some time not being bothered with phone calls and who ever haha you can get shat done Seat almost done little spackle to clean up few flaws and shes ready for light coat of epoxy so paint will look good on seat etc still have side rails to put on that will allow seat to be glued into removable canopy sweet turned out better then i thought

doesn't that look sweet :) IMG8052.jpg IMG8054.jpg IMG8058.jpg IMG8059.jpg

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

So last night i was thinking ESC placement and being concerned about making sure it stays cool so i came to the conclusion that the ESC is going to be the only thing outside of the body.
    Plans are to place it in between the 2 lower fuse fins and place a cover above it so a person has to only drill 2 holes for the wiring this way it will have ample air flow

http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=422&filter_attr=6345.6346

Anyways going to get seat glued in and canopy on hoping to have side canopy rails to fuse done as well today

Wildthing likes this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

little up date workin plane off and on today so lower base in place need to carve it a bit also canopy glued in :) its coming

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  16. Looking great. :) Way to much detail for drilling purposes. :D :D

Nightswatch likes this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

i here you man and actual being able to see all what i did it , with detail and canopy on now Dam its looks dark in there haha you get some out line
    i may have to drill a hole and place a LED light in there inline with landing gear lighting

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

So took tape off canopy this morning figured i let glue dry over night so now all i need to do is polish canopy, and get on side rails and mounting
    Kinda ugly out there today so undecided if i will go to work haha great being your own boss :) IMG8075.jpg IMG8073.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well just terrible weather and decided to stay home today :) sides of canopy being glued in as we speak :) IMG8079.jpg IMG8090.jpg IMG8091.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Forgot some other pictures it look Sick wait till, i get it fully molded to fuse and all rivets and body lines marked IMG8094.jpg IMG8095.jpg IMG8096.jpg

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.