F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

How i made my Scaled canopy cockpit / Hatch IMG7580.jpg IMG7581.jpg IMG7582.jpg IMG7585.jpg IMG7586.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

when looking at how it looked on real F 16 i knew i had to cover the actual canopy with foam that is what you see in first picture so lets get started with main base .
    Once i had it in place Note that the main base will eventually get cut out room for pilot seat and dash this will be the main support and actual start of inner ccckpit sides etc

So once i was happy how the canopy balloon style looked i marked it on the base this is where i will slice it and dry fit the canopy on base here are the lines i made once i was happy i will seal wood and paint her black

IMG7587.jpg IMG7589.jpg F-16-cockpit.jpg

Airflow, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  3. Are you not done that thing yet???? ;)

Sterling101 and Nightswatch like this.
  4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Electronic issues my friend "_" i'll post some killer pictures shortly :) just going back on pictures i took before ETC.
    Also do to unforeseen circumstances, stopped build due to a major mechanical issue on truck that cost me nearly 4500.00 to repair And its landscaping season so that again has be tied up with customers :) but looks like a great year to bad you live so far away could put them steers to work big time on some high end projects IMG7533.jpg IMG7562.jpg

5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Some more pictures the canopy will be glued inside the ring that i cut out will also glue in a inner ring approx 1/4" which will be the start of the actual balsa cockpit :) front of canopy will have a 3" horizontal piece to glued in so it helps keep canopy in shape the hud base etc will be put in on that
    There is electronics on the floor so instead of usually starting it @ fuse working out wards i am doing Ninja style haha from top of canopy in kinds forced to
    As to make sure it all lines up properly once canopy hatch is 90 percent done i can start on cockpit with inner measurements known

Jeffs seat will still work nicely

Would also note that this plastic cockpit is not your usual pepsi bottle plastic its ridgid and and is a bugger This jet canopy measures 21 inches long 5 inches wide and 4 and 1/2 inch tall. formed with .030 PETG plastic. It fits the 1/7 scale F-16 ...
    so gluing in wood pieces on both ends will help keeping canopy in form so i can eventually glue the ring and canopy onto main base once base is glued in i can start covering canopy with foam which i will trim .
    like in avator one that is all done its sand n fill then glass IMG7589.jpg IMG7592.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Still had some fine tuning to do but it was starting to look decent IMG7595.jpg IMG7597.jpg still had to raise actual cockpit IMG7598.jpg

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Some more pictures of how i did the canopy from wood jig to Foam put on one coat of Spackle prior to glassing i kept the X part in place to help keep it strength wise when i glued the Canopy into place. the Dash and Hud display will be on lower box i make that holds the pilot dash seat etc and glued in from underneath
    Only after the base was fiber glassed with .50 and primed and painted then she was ready for gluing in canopy remove the X and start on canopy to body as in last picture IMG7601.jpg IMG7603.jpg IMG7606.jpg IMG7610.jpg IMG7612.jpg IMG7614.jpg IMG7616.jpg

8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Couple more progress picture on how the canopy came along making the skirt design covering then sand base glass it and glue canopy very little maybe 45 mins a day working on it. thing is resin epoxy is not cheap so when glassing one makes sure that he has few pieces to do rather then just one piece this utilizes cost efficiency

Tonight have meeting at our club with turbine jet guys this is where there all helping me set up the 16 its getting close for maiden nice having 20 year guys with tons of scaled building coming together and helping a fellow pilot lol there getting anxious in seeing her fly also so plans are having everything bound to new tranis with down loaded voices should sound pretty cool for alerts

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Some more pictures Canopy base ready for glass , PVA mold release agent put on front air intake plug . And its ready for 6 oz glass IMG7693.jpg IMG7695.jpg IMG7708.jpg

10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Some pictures of glassing air intake plug ,, 2 coats of PVA then resin coat let it set then applied 6 oz fiberglass 2 applications Canopy base glassed and elevators
    came out smooth like glass going to need a light coat for final etc IMG7733.jpg IMG7736.jpg IMG7737.jpg

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

So as this years landscaping took off with a big bang. the 16 took a back seat on build . with only hr her e couple there oh well it was slowly coming together is all that matters haha.

So what was glassed all got good sand and ready for fill coat using light weight glass powder and resin literally can make it to a puddy.if i like
    Meanwhile worked on rudder hatch and the main hatch , note the tape is cut line will glass that when cockpit and canopy sides is all done

Anyways .
    Plan is to use foam to get it to design then sheet it with Balsa this way i can sand foam after thin as i it gets towards the top and flush to side canopy IMG7740.jpg IMG7767.jpg IMG7770.jpg IMG7761.jpg IMG7758.jpg IMG7752.jpg

12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well slowly but surely with the heat wave going on one does not want to do much but rather stay in a cold place.
    Other then that one hatch pretty much done nuts glued in now onto Elevator hatches and main top hatch

Still need to cut down screws

my next super sized F 16 will be done much differently removable wings top of fuse solid and formed including rudder base IMG7771.jpg

13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

And some more pictures :) Clear canopy then not so clear canopy , Top hatch almost done . Cannon in position presently working on cockpit detail
    IMG7774.jpg IMG7778.jpg IMG7787.jpg 4ef430698e52d3c71a2ea6e20b1eb4cd.jpg IMG7789.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very impressive.... i love the detailing. You've gone all out in the little things and your attention to detail is really starting to pay off.

Nice work !!

Nightswatch and Wildthing like this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thank you Tom Couple more pictures and more glassing and coating parts missile rails retract doors etc IMG7815.jpg IMG7823.jpg IMG7832.jpg IMG7834.jpg

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  16. Nightswatch and Sterling101 like this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thank you Jeff now that i got final coat on plug its going to look really killer shortly now i can get front intake and body done still got some detailing just working all around the bird lots of lots of blocking and sanding . But i tell you the final fill coat came out amazing talking pure smooth glass prime n paint and its done blows me away how smooth like a brand new paint job on a car elevators etc have no waves or bumps etc its jjust pure stream line haha

Wildthing likes this.
  18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well worked on plug tonight still needs some inner cleaning little slimy from melting her down but fits like a glove as well my main retract doors are done and glassed as well rudder hatch now to get canopy sides done and painted then onto missile racks and fuel tanks IMG7835.jpg IMG7842.jpg IMG7850.jpg IMG7853.jpg IMG7856.jpg IMG7861.jpg IMG7835.jpg IMG7842.jpg IMG7850.jpg IMG7853.jpg IMG7856.jpg IMG7861.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well with front air intake pretty much completed its time to get the front skinned and front retract assembly in place .
    first thing is enclosing the fuse base then so that when its skinned its flush to main body the actual retract will be a box that will rest on the actual plug made out of wood with a sponge backer seperating box to plug to allow some sort of cushion on landings etc as well bonded to Rib 2 and 3 on the fuse

Its the little things like this that closes it all up and makes it loo right will post more pictures shortly . the actual front outter cowl will be glassed separate and the rest back glassed to fuse do to the curvature IMG7867.jpg

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Little update had little time to work on bird front retract area IMG7871.jpg IMG7876.jpg IMG7878.jpg IMG7880.jpg

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.