F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Ok start of making retract doors with framing inside :) first attempt and being glued IMG7311.jpg

actual doors will be skinned with wood then glassed eventually :) IMG7311.jpg IMG7317.jpg

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  2. What do you mean first attempt? How many times do you plan on gluing them??? :D :D

andy_downs and Nightswatch like this.
  3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

lol we will have to see :) progress picture let her dry then see if it will work what yeah think ? Yes / No ? IMG7322.jpg

Splashballz and Wildthing like this.
  4. Heck if I know, do they fit??? :D

Splashballz and Nightswatch like this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well it looks like door assembly will work great phew :) will design it so front retract door and rear door will open on one servo with door sequencer
    Just gave them all a re glue so all joints are solid tomorrow sand them then work on inside framing and attaching

Now to figure out cool linkage ?? Any ideas anyone ? to do the job something

Glad that there is only one door for front so on right side so more or less as servo moves back linkage opens rear doors at the same time opens the front door reverse linkage for front etc

IMG7323.jpg IMG7324.jpg IMG7325.jpg IMG7326.jpg

Airflow, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Darn i forgot i also did a puzzle today in like 15 mins its said 3 - 4 years on the box :)

Splashballz and Wildthing like this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone little update didn't get much done this week end . as for retract doors and inner framing but i am getting close to boxing it all up now with ply having it as one boxed unit retracts and all then just slide it in and Epoxy in place

As for prop pusher got fuse done still going to make hand launch area under the fuse and when i get to wings will use the wings in picture but also will when i skin make a wing and half of the fuse top and bottom as one wing so that piece in middle and 2 other wings top n bottom gluing into it this will give i hope good enough strength and flex being actually bonded all away around fuse if anyone understands triple wing but top and bottom wings are longer and actually part of the middle skin of fuse no carbon rods nothing in wing .
    12 mm thickness which i will probably make it shorter going to ends then sand simple will figure that out when i get there .
    and prior to using FG tape for elevators and ailerons sections will probably seal up foam with white glue and brush couple coats for the added strength and stiffness etc then cut out servo location and carve lines for wiring in wings etc then scotch tape it
    Good enough spray paint her and done deal :)

IMG7354.jpg IMG7353.jpg IMG7339.jpg IMG7341.jpg IMG7346.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Airflow, EricR, andy_downs and 2 others like this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey Everyone, will have some killer update photo's later on, started filling and sanding everything getting ready to glass it all and prime just waiting on bearing packs for elevators , and get it on Static balance everything assemble one last time then remove glass and prime
    Still doing some final sanding on retract area it looks Sick
    Anyways Changed up few things got rid of aluminum tube i just did not like it even though i picked it up a metal shop to save on money RC shop wanted like 30 bucks plus. and it added substantial weight to the build
    So went ply instead.

Way lighter and will work just as good ( wings will be glued in ,non removable anyways no need for it )

Have my decals and stencil being made ( Rivets lines etc for when i start on final stages of painting etc

Then its onto making front internal air intake form then converting it to glass which is going to be time consuming and tight fit no wonder most RC's cut out air slits on lower fuse for there EDF versions

My Bird will have a FG duct to front of EDF tightest spot is 1 1/4 in height but its has some width to it 5.5 but pretty sure 105 mm EDF will suck air threw that like nobodies business

Here is a killer Scaled F16 and the stencils i am talkng about will tack it on then airbrush rivets n lines etc then fog it all in

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Spent all weak sanding and filling the 16 Glassing has begun :) The other foamy wings are on and skinning

Wildthing likes this.
  10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Wad up everyone figured i let everyone know were build is @ the main 16 is @ body shop now ,, took her there this morning to get completely primed . light gray this will allow me once i get her back to pin strip and do my stencil lay out mask area's etc then its back to body shop for second coat Dark gray .
    then all we have to do is remove pin stripping apply decals and clear coat
    spent last 2 1/2 days with a razor scraping everything and wet sanding its hard blocking everything when its all white so hoping there are not to many low spots once i get her back or i may have to re due that step block fill and re prime ..

As or my other F16 foamy i come to the conclusion that my first idea of having wings part of the fuse top will not work no matter how i did it the wing took on the angled look like Hawker Harrier , so i ended up cutting the complete wing section off anyways got rudder base glued in , rudder done just needs to be glued in presently working on wings and elevator just getting ready to line up and cut glass rods for wing structure as well presently making my elevators .
    its going to be attached as one unit one servo up or down good enough :)

Other then that then its clean her up sand and fill with micro balloons then put in the electronics hoping hobby shop has everything that i need not sure on what kind of motor and prop to put in .

IMG7409.jpg IMG7412.jpg IMG7413.jpg

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  11. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

I would be araid to fly it after all that work,very nice and a good sound track to go with it

Nightswatch likes this.
  12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

I'm sure i will be a bit nervous on maiden just going to have to make sure everything is fine tuned there is going to be some intense testing before she goes up in the air and getting everything programmed wheel brakes etc

So far i been keeping good track on CG and all balance points horizontal and vertical when she gets home primed i can then get it on CG stand see whats what its first time its all bolted together , and will know what the weight is i am excited to get it this close . But there is allot of stuff left to do as in electronics and where i will be placing it all .
    That is another night mare in the makings

13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well decided while i wait for fuse to get back from body shop figured i better get going on finishing up my canopy glass and base for it which will be removable . canopy is 14" long .
    So between that and main fuselage internal compartment gives me 21 " total for batteries and all electronics , more then enough room to move things around etc. and get CG nailed perfect .

Thinking i might use 4 screws two up by front nose area and 2 on fuse in the back sides to keep it in place or maybe magnets we will see . anyways now to build around canopy and have it mold into fuse when it gets back again not sure if i will use foam or some thicker balsa skinning material then use filler to form it

Got the lower wings glued in foamy tomorrow i want to sand n fill fuse maybe get rudders put on
    Anyways couple pics

PS will be cutting some of that foam inner once base is build up and its more or less a cap

IMG7428.jpg IMG7429.jpg IMG7430.jpg IMG7431.jpg close-up-view-of-the-canopy-on-a-f-16a-ramon-van-opdorp.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    EricR, pileit1 and Wildthing like this.
  14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well working on canopy base as usual start it out with foam then transfer it to wood , Also going to start making my Missile base racks today.
    Filling fuel tanks missiles getting that all ready guessing 2 weeks she is pretty much all painted n done then comes the electronics still need few things as well as controller i looked everywhere storage in boxes cannot find my old one anywhere .

So looking @ Taranis Qx7 which i will probably order thinking its the best bang for the buck out there unless anyone here as a better idea

IMG7432.jpg IMG7433.jpg IMG7434.jpg

Airflow, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well guys i got the best deal in a long time and pretty happy brand New Taranis X9d plus with 8X receiver 150 bucks US 40 bucks shipping that is 250 bucks canadian landed to my front door almost 80 bucks cheaper then anwhere else

Same unit 334 dollars landed to my front door

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  16. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well looks like the New Taranis fell through i did not feel comfortable with sale seemed little like a scam he wanted money wired i wanted to use pay pal still searching for best possible deal out there i may just get Qx7 and be done with it

Other then that came back from body shop only to see it still in front room of business un primed i was like ok whats goin on . Buddy said its a talk piece lots of interest so they kept it up front i was like Hmm you think you might get her primed this year ???
    haha

There pretty busy and its free so i am on there clock but he said he will soon
    So working on other foamy, and jumping around from canopy to missiles etc etc etc etc but no matter what its still moving forward View attachment 50056 IMG7438.jpg

Nakul, Airflow, jonathan0691 and 2 others like this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey all whats everyone building :) as for me just playing around sanding n filling fuel tanks and bombs, missiles etc making the rails for them etc.
    Really need to get things all ready so when it comes back i can get her pretty much completed and worry about electronics only few more things i need to get . still and she is pretty much done

So his morning i stopped off At this boat craft place looking for fiber glass cloth and i tell yeah i struck gold , talking with the owner he took me to the back they sell 2 mm ply same material used for higher end RC planes turbines etc

He went on telling me he is starting to get few Rc builders buying material epoxy, glass wood etc from him .

I was pretty impressed at there Shop wood CNC etc . i went on telling him about the SU build and that its going to be all wood rib same material they have etc and hinting :) like hey can you do my cuts for ribs .
    He was like send me the plans i can figure out cutting list cost and cnc cut can probably put it in between jobs ,
    He said it will be cheap well we will see i guess so need to send him plans etc

I did purchase 4 x 8 sheet of 2mm ply today and ordered some .75 oz cloth from them which they have on order for them selfs
    It that was why i really went there lol for cloth really reasonable price to boot 6 bucks a yard for .75 and 8 something for 1.5 both 50 " widths awesome just happy i found a place where i can buy as i need rather then spend 300 bucks on a roll IMG7446.jpg IMG7450.jpg

18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Wad up everyone :) well got pin stripping done now waiting on second coat of darker gray then clear coat apply decals and re clear coat and she is done only thing left is completing electronics and installing magnets for canopy and other hatches

Got more glass for my next secret build :) old pictures of 16 when i was filling it prior to glassing which we did at body shop , FG that is
    Should have finished pictures in a week or so I'll keep everyone in suspense :) so waiting on what body lines looks like after next coat hoping for recessed lines once she is all done think i am going to have to invest in air brush for some finer detail work and touch ups some oil and fuel smears that i want etc and exhaust tube area but it was a wise decision using a professional paint booth because so far it looks perfect and my blocking came out perfect lol
    i used plywood instead of aluminum much happier and it lowered weight IMG7455.jpg IMG7456.jpg IMG7460.jpg IMG7461.jpg

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  19. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey all have not been around for a while came into some bad luck with my truck blew the rear end and transfer case all at the same time talk about a big hit transfer case 1800 rear end 1500 anyways so 16 has been put off for a bit have not even picked it up from body shop so all hat is left to do really is put in servos's retracts and dial it in and fly it ordered X9D taranis from local hobby shop its in but no funds to get it for a bit and i be damned if i can find my old controllers to set everything up plans we maiden for may long week end but short funds for 160 am ESC anyways blah blah blah

I found a new line on Foam comes in 4 x 8 sheets 1/8 " or 48 x 60 at a reasonable price 9.00 for 48 x 60 and 18 bucks for 4 x 8 from local framing shop .
    will work for my wings for SU build i will start shortly with twin 105 mm EDF's other then that

When glassed the 16 i went with new epoxy resin for glassing i must say this east systems is turned out really good and my go to resin from now one other then the more expensive lines what am i talking about its all expensive haha..

So anyways here are some older pics of when i was making my front Air intake mold used block of foam to form it then spackled her sanded her re formed filled low spots or cleaned up front cowl intake so it fit like a glove also note i needed room from front and main retracts .

Once that was all lined up i then c glued another piece of block and formed to the od of EDF for a perfect tight fit i ended up making it 2 pieces and used tape to join it together last picture its all spackle'd up to make her smooth this is just a mold IMG7482.jpg IMG7467.jpg IMG7468.jpg IMG7472.jpg IMG7474.jpg IMG7476.jpg IMG7477.jpg IMG7479.jpg IMG7480.jpg

Airflow, malukk, EricR and 1 other person like this.
  20. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Few more pictures i found when i was getting things all sanded up prior to glassing my air intake mold front was almost done lol few little air pockets to fill up lots of detailing due to retract compartments next up was doing rear side removable compartments in servo area's then she was ready for glass Normally i would do the wings separate to fuse but for 16 what i did was only rudders and elevators separately.
    Wings and fuse were glasses as one complete unit did bottom then top over lapping the front edges which then was sanded
    Which made this bird even more stronger

Note in last picture on rudder base the opening i made it a access area to rudder electronics using screws
    IMG7526.jpg IMG7523.jpg IMG7512.jpg IMG7496.jpg IMG7516.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    EricR, Wildthing and Airflow like this.