F 16 scratch build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Nightswatch, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Man i hate when you have to glue crucial areas with 0 tolerance now its hurry up n wait for it to dry Bearing packs if its out then linkage binds

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Well little update, didn't get much done today, but what i did was good for the day.
    Got my bearing blocks glued in fuse, as well did my sides of fuse .

Now it can dry all night long and i can get tubes finally drilled tomorrow :) Yee Haw

IMG7192.jpg IMG7189.jpg IMG7186.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Wad up :) got my wings and fuse drilled today, Yay now to skin other sides of wings , then she is onto cutting canopy get that all set up and working my way back to rudder and elevators final touches . and assembly

Going to change up the hinges on Rudders pretty much do the same thing i did with ailerons. still got to do bearing packs for elevators and rudder assembly .

Once that is all in shape, then its get all linkages and servo's installed and working properly and skin remaining area's then dissemble and its glass time
    Hopefully retracts are in by this time

Attached Files:

4. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey Everyone little update Reinforcing some spots in wing / fuse area where tube is and starting to make actual floor where batteries and electronics will be i put plane on a scale today
    Its exactly 550 grams or 1.21254 pounds with tubes in bearing packs etc that is amazing i think

Anyways bouncing around plane from working on canopy to main floor and wing reinforcements around tubing IMG7203.jpg IMG7204.jpg

Wildthing, bimoadiprakoso and EricR like this.
  5. Looking great John

Nightswatch and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  6. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

What a great project. I can't wait until we see it finished

Nightswatch and Wildthing like this.
  7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thank you guys well got all my pieces cut for main fuselage floor this will also give it structural strength and where most of the weight of electronics will be .

EDF about 8" back but that section needs to carry two 6S batteries comfortably :) still not sure if i can get batteries side by side with out inner top side rails interfering or i might double stack idunno

Also being its a open compartment i do not want to see tubing etc
    I will be centering floor to top of tube so more or less cutting out some foam .
    then sheeting floor and enclosing sides , making it a box.
    I think it should work for added strength IMG7208.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Darn forgot to post a before and after shot of canopy here is before after will come lol as i slowly get it in position and right location f16_canopy.jpg IMG7211.jpg IMG7213.jpg f16_canopy.jpg IMG7211.jpg IMG7213.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Whats up everyone well today started making another F 16 rear mount prop pusher as i am working on my main F16 sanding n carving etc . which is ok it helps me align my canopy better etc a plus plus
    I am terrible when it comes to cutting canopies that is a art on its own . my canopy is not cut to spec yet slowly getting there makin sure i do not cut to much or at wrong angles etc so its take it slow n easy

So just working on bits n pieces till i get bored then move on to something else etc as i wait for parts dam retracts ordered from ali express and have not even left china yet Daaaaaaaam
    I wonder sometimes is it worth saving 50 bucks on a product but pay for it in waiting time . and free shipping etc

Anyways ,All my servo's are in Hi tec digital @ hobby shop here in Edmonton just have to pick them up . bought and paid for .

Hey Jeff here is your seat in pretty much location where it belongs

So presently working on canopy area bottom intake inner side rails carving them up like in the picture etc for today tomorrow i am getting on finishing up and closing up rudder area drilling and getting all that rudder linkages working etc

Cheers everyone John

IMG7235.jpg IMG7224.jpg x7ukp.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  10. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

forgot one picture of Vulcan cannon haha its cute IMG7241.jpg IMG7227.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey everyone , Worked a few hrs on last night and got canopy real close and good enough for now
    Did little detail work which will be time consuming with out a doubt,. and will work on it.
    Every so often as everything else comes together. Because its really boring work lol not going to go to crazy on it, but make it look decent

So just started back on my rudder linkage doing it the same way as my ailerons it will look better and to be honest be much easier then the way it was running piano wire angled and bent
    I would of had to drill into the wooden block and run it through there And i didn't like it, it really bothered me .

This way it i just drill one hole in open space for tubing simple cleaner and Stronger Anyways that's the plan

Cheers John
    PS the the other 16 rear mount prop pusher not going to have the intake open its closed up IMG7242.jpg IMG7244.jpg IMG7246.jpg IMG7253.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  12. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Yes it will fit going to clean it up and glue it up right now .. the other bag of parts floor , gauges etc will not but i will cut them up and glue them on the foam etc as or dash the top skud view or what ever you want to call it will work
    just lining up rudder :) then going to glue seat all up etc IMG7256.jpg

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Hey Jeff almost got er IMG7260.jpg IMG7266.jpg

Wildthing and Splashballz like this.
  14. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Alright todays updates lol got rudder skinned ,Glued seat and worked on lower fuse detail as well skinned some more of the wings
    Tomorrow sand and put on top section of rudder, then join them together and glue in its final resting place then
    skin base section IMG7269.jpg fde318aa4986e168edf32b6bd50a6c74.jpg IMG7272.jpg IMG7275.jpg

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Alright todays updates got rudder almost done need some minor sanding and its ready for glass really starting to look sick :) this week end is making my compartment so sealing up top section and making it happen as well work on rudder base making door to get at inner servo etc screw on .

I dunno how i did it but got wrong sized bearing packs for elevators so that is going to have to wait but have some lumber to make my rudder 10 percent angle frame so when i mount it there exactly 10 percent angled more or less make 2 angled boxes where elevator will rest on as i mount them :)

Anyways pretty happy with progress hope you all are to

IMG7293.jpg IMG7298.jpg IMG7295.jpg IMG7291.jpg IMG7286.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  16. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Looking pretty sweet Nightswatch!

Wildthing and Nightswatch like this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Thank you sir i almost forgot working on retracts as well :) hoping to have all the framing done doors Hinged by end of this week end IMG7299.jpg IMG7303.jpg IMG7306.jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  18. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

fantastic build,really coming together,love it.

Nightswatch and Wildthing like this.
  19. It's coming together, very sweet. :)

Nightswatch likes this.