F-15 V5

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 30, 2016.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I haven't had an F-15 Eagle in my "hangar" in quite awhile, so I decided while the plans are on sale to add one to the "Squadron":) Plans printed and starting to put the "gear bag" together.
    2018-06-30 09.49.43.jpg

I printed off a few pages of the plans first to see if I could downsize it to about 85% and still be able to use a quad racing motor with a 6" prop and with a little adjustment, it should work out just fine:) I'll probably have a few other tweaks for looks and performance as I tinker along over the coming days and weeks since I don't build too fast during the summer :) I'm hoping the resulting 25.5" wingspan will give me some serious speed yet still allow for some good presence and stability if the wind comes up a bit.

Build will be primarily of Dollar Tree foam for the wing plate, fuselage, vertical stabs, KF4s with Depron for the elevons and nacelles. Will build with full controls, elevons, ailerons and rudders. Will post updates as I go along :)

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Plans cut out, starting to do some figuring and drawing to move the motor forward a bit (to compensate for the weight of the paper on the DTF in the back end). Needed to make sure the prop slot would not interfere with my KFs and still allow a 6" prop. I guess my printer scale is off a bit, I ended up with a 24 and 7/8" wingspan instead of 25 and 1/2", but it seems like everything will still work out OK. It will be tight, but I should still be able to run a 6x3 EMP prop for 4S flying (those props are actually about 6 and 1/8" long). Prop should end up where I drew the red line across the prop slot.
    2018-07-02 07.18.46.jpg
    I will be able to fit the wing across the length of a sheet of DTF, I will cut the back part off where the orange line is, then glue that back on later in the build.
    2018-07-02 07.18.41.jpg
    I will have to get a bit creative drawing some ailerons. As much as I like Sukhois, I don't really want that style elevon on my F-15 :\
    2018-07-02 07.18.51.jpg
    I will downsize the vertical stab a little bit and also go with a smaller rudder, I have really liked how the smaller rudders have worked on other V5s like the F-18 and F-16, so I will give them a try here as well.
    2018-07-02 07.16.10.jpg
    It will be a snug fit, but I also checked to make sure that after down sizing I can still fit a 2200 3S battery fairly far forward if need be for balance.
    2018-07-02 07.20.11.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

homey666, Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Slowly plugging away on my F-15 V5 build, been lucky to have some great flying weather as of late, so I have been taking advantage of that :)

All the parts cut out now, all Dollar Tree foam except for the nacelles which I made of Depron.
    2018-07-11 07.28.27.jpg
    I rounded off the corner where the leading edge of the wing meets the wingtip to make it more "F-15ish". I cut out the KF4 airfoils, mine are just slightly larger than what were on the plans to suit my flying preference and environment.
    2018-07-11 07.28.34.jpg
    Managed to draw out more "F-15ish" elevons including the "dogtooth" which will be part of the horizontal stabilizer.
    2018-07-11 07.28.45.jpg
    I programmed it into my FlySky FS-i6 transmitter to give that more of a workout/evaluation now that I have done a firmware upgrade to it once another couple receivers arrive in the mail :)
    2018-07-11 07.43.08.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

After three months, getting back on track with my F-15 V5 build.:) Spent the weekend getting a lot of the fussy stuff done, all control surfaces hinged, reinforcements installed, paper trimmed off around the edges wherever I will be sanding/tapering and the edges of the paper sealed with glue on the wing plate, elevons and vertical stabilizers/rudders.
    20181028_180555.jpg
    Velcro installed in the bottom of the battery bay, servo holes cut out for the elevons, ailerons in the nacelles and in the wing plate for the rudder servos as you can see in the first picture.
    20181028_181058.jpg
    Receiver bound to the transmitter, all the electronics have been checked out.
    20181028_181206.jpg
    Just need to do the first stage of sanding while everything is still in smaller parts, then assemble the wing plate pieces and the rest of the assembly should go quickly. Like all the other V5s, I like the low parts count and build simplicity. Hope to have it ready to fly by this time next week:)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

jimbosflyin, hwilton and Wildthing like this.
  5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

A bit more progress on my F-15 V5 today:) Wing plate is all together now, aileron and rudder control surfaces trimmed so they move freely, sanding around the edges where needed to keep it sleek all completed. Control horns for the rudder and elevons installed, ailerons will be done later after I get the airframe together.
    2018-10-30 15.31.28.jpg
    To help prevent them from getting dinged up too bad from "gonking" the plane when getting it in and out of the car or if I have to turn the plane upside down, I put a thin layer of Foam Cure type glue along the top of the vertical stabilizer and the "dog tooth" part of the horizontal stabilizer I drew out for more scale F-15 looks. With DTF (Dollar Tree Foam or Adams readi-board) I have found these can get crunched easily, so the glue doesn't prevent them from breaking off in a hard impact, but should make them stronger for minor bumps.
    2018-10-30 15.31.04.jpg
    For strength it probably isn't required as leaving the paper on both sides of the DTF makes for a strong vertical stabilizer, but if the foam gets folded or bent a certain amount and the paper "wrinkles", it is very hard to get straight again. I put a length of bamboo BBQ skewer in each vertical stab to hopefully help this from happening.
    2018-10-30 13.15.39.jpg
    I didn't mention in the last post, the two spars in the wing plate are 4mm carbon rod, a little bit heavier, but has proven over several builds to withstand some relatively aggressive flying:)

Time to get the rest of the airframe together, do another round of sanding, paint, install electronics and it should be ready to "slip the surly bonds of earth":)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing and homey666 like this.
  6. Your builds are so clean Scott it makes me sick . :D :D

e3_Scott likes this.
  7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Looking a lot more "F-15ish" now":)
    2018-10-31 15.25.10.jpg
    2018-10-31 15.25.21.jpg
    Air frame is together (vertical stabs just dry fit for now, those will be put on at a much later stage when I'm ready to paint the top of the plane).

I'll let this all set up for now, KF4s will be installed perhaps later tonight or tomorrow, then final sanding, applying the Minwax to the bottom of the plane where the paper is left on and let that dry tomorrow night. Hope to be ready for paint and final electronics over the weekend:)

Happy Halloween!

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

paulh998, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Ready for final paint and a couple more bits of gear.:) Motor and rudder servos will installed after I finish painting.
    20181102_142431.jpg
    Elevon and aileron servos and linkages installed, I find it makes painting the top of the plane easier when the elevons and ailerons are held still. The green tape is holding the bottom of the vertical stab to the side of the nacelle so that they will be perpendicular to the wing plate as the glue dries.
    20181102_142416.jpg

I have decided to borrow the GepRC 2306 2750 kv motor/HobbyWing Platinum PRO 40A ESC setup I had in my T50 V5 for this plane until some other goodies arrive in the mail. From RC Powers intro, this is a "speed/aerobatic" plane, so might as well give it the best 3S/4S speed setup I have right now;).

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

paulh998, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

One modified F-15 V5 ready to "slip the surly bonds of earth":)
    20181104_121303.jpg
    20181104_121322.jpg
    I went with a "desertish" inspired paint scheme and Israeli Air Force markings inspired by the paint scheme used on the IAF F-15I.

My wingspan is 24 and 7/8"/632 mm, length is 34 and 1/2"/878 mm.

AUW with a 2200 3S battery is 538 gr/19.0 oz.

Build is mostly Dollar Tree Foam (DTF or Adams readi-board) for the wing plate, fuselage, vertical stablizers. Depron used for the elevons and the nacelles/intakes.

Power system is the GepRC 2306 2750 kv motor, HobbyWing Platinum PRO 40A ESC (custom settings of 26.25 degrees timing and 8 KHz PWM frequency). On 3S, I will fly with the 6x4 APC gas prop, on 4S the 6x3 EMP/TGS/KMP prop. Where the prop sits, the prop slot is 6.5" wide, so both those props will fit nicely.

Full controls of elevons, ailerons and rudders, 9 gr nylon gear servos for the elevons, 5 gr nylon gear servos for the ailerons and rudders.

Hope to get the maiden flight done in the next couple of days:)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

homey666, Wildthing and andy_downs like this.
  10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I managed to squeeze in about seven flights with my new modified RC Powers F-15 V5 this morning before it started to rain :)
    2018-11-05 08.26.45.jpg
    Some flight footage of one of my flights this morning

As mentioned in the video, my CG is about 1/4" ahead of dead center of the "rectangle" (I mistakenly said triangle in the video ;)) from the CG spectrum on the plans, so pretty close, most of the other V5s I have built the CG ended up 1/2" to 5/8" ahead of that point.

Still dialing in the throws, but I think I am pretty close, pictures of where I held the ruler to make the measurements are attached below. I only fly with about 15% expo in the pitch and roll and 20% in the yaw, so your throws may vary from mine depending on how you like to set up your planes.

Pitch - 3/4" travel (one way);
    Roll - Elevon 1/2" travel (one way) and Aileron 3/8" travel (one way); and
    Yaw - 1/2" travel one way.

I may reduce these a little bit more as I dial it in to right where I want it, it is very responsive in all three axes, so another flight session or two might be required to get the final throws set up.

It is very stable at speed, I thought I might have issues with zooming due to the longer nacelles and flat fuselage as I have experienced this occasionally with other F-15 designs I have flown, but this plane just locked in and took off when I hammered the throttle. However, it does feel very light on the sticks, so I imagine that flatter bottom may be adding a bit of extra lift to the wing reducing the overall wing loading a little bit.

I don't think I could or would reduce the size down anymore than I did, with a 2200 3S battery, 40A ESC, receiver and wires, it is a pretty snug fit in the electronics bay:) The ESC is sitting on top of the battery where my finger is pointing. Fortunately, due to the small air vents just behind the "canopy", good airflow is getting through the electronics bay to keep things cool.
    2018-11-05 09.28.02.jpg
    Another winner from the V5 lineup by RC Powers:)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Blessed with another calm day, so I managed to get another really good flight session in with my F-15 V5:)
    20181106_100323.jpg
    Today I finished really "dialing in" the setup getting the trims, throws, balance just right. I kept the throws the same as yesterday other than to reduce the rudder throw by 1/16" of an inch, I did this mechanically by moving the pushrod to the outer most hole on the control horn. I had previously been in the center hole, so no when I want to do a stall turn, the plane responds in the yaw without any "rudder roll" as happened before.
    20181106_102215.jpg
    I was even more impressed today by how rock solid this plane is throughout the flight envelope and basic aerobatics. It tracks exactly where I point it and doesn't wander or change direction until I tell it to, very precise handling. I have yet to see any issues with torque roll, speed wobble, this plane really likes to go fast and stays very stable while doing so:)

I still haven't had the opportunity to see how it handles any sort of wind, so that is yet to be evaluated.

I feel ready to try it on 4S now that I have had a second flight session with it and feel pretty comfortable with how it handles. It will be a snug fit, but I will be able to do it.:)
    20181106_125530.jpg
    Fortunately, the ESC will be sitting right beside the two vent holes just behind the canopy, so it should get decent cooling air:)
    20181106_125538.jpg
    Hope to get back out in a day or two to see how it handles some serious 4S power:)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I had this little "speedster" out for some 4S fun today :)
    20181108_105301.jpg

Some flight footage of one of today's 4S flights

I flew four flights on 4S today, I think the plane might be even a little bit faster, the air was very cool and damp today, so not the best conditions for really maxing out the speed. Perhaps I might also be getting close to the drag limit of the plane as well, but still very fast:)

It remained very stable at speed going straight and level and in full throttle turns. I was pleasantly surprised there was no "zooming" today at full throttle, it just locked in and went fast when I hammered the throttle:)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

andy_downs, hwilton and Wildthing like this.
  13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

With three good flight sessions and 25 total flights evaluating both 3 and 4S performance, I shot this "table talk" video to discuss my build, mods and how I feel everything is working out thus far with this impressive park jet :)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

andy_downs, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  14. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I had this little steed out for another good session yesterday:)
    20181120_095712.jpg

I have now switched this plane over to my FlySky FS-i6 transmitter setup so that I can continue to evaluate this inexpensive transmitter on a couple different planes. I have completed two flight sessions since switching the F15 over to the FlySky setup and think I have it dialed in really well again.

Since doing this was almost like a "re maiden", I ended up with some slightly different settings compared to my Turnigy 9x setup. I suspect some of the reduced throws are due to the fact the FlySky FS-i6 has considerably lower stick tension than my Turnigy 9x, but it also shows how little deflection I need to still have a very nimble, aerobatic plane. I also must have had some slight up deflection on my elevons with the first setup that I wasn't noticing as I ended up moving my battery back about 3/8" and now put my ESC on top of the battery to get it to balance.
    20181116_102524.jpg
    This brings my CG back now to about 1/16" ahead of stock. The plane does feel just a bit better balanced now and this might also contribute to the reduced throws to get the same response.

My current throws (all deflections are one way, pictures showing where I held the ruler to make these measurements are attached to post #310 above) are as follows -

Pitch - 5/8"

Roll - Elevons 3/8"
    Ailerons - 5/16"

Yaw - 7/16"

The more I fly this plane, it reminds of the T50 V5 and how nimble it is, especially in the pitch and roll, in fact the control surface deflection is about the same in both planes although the T50 V5 I am flying is about 9% bigger. Both are just a blast to fly, I would say that even at a smaller size and weight, the F15 is just a bit more forgiving than the T50:)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott