F-15 V5

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 30, 2016.

1. Butch1953

Butch1953 Ace Pilot

Here's a photo of my F16-V5.

Attached Files:

2. RCNoob902

RCNoob902 Airman

Completing my F-15 v.5. 90% scale, 27" wing is more manageable. KF4 & additional air vents.
    Better late than never.
    f15-v5.jpg

3. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Flew bcpowell's MiG-29 V5 last weekend AND IT GAVE ME THE FEVER AGAIN!!!

I've built the V3 and V4 MiGs so I wanted something I've never built before. I decided on the F-15.
    Nice weekend project and the FIRST TIME I've ever built under weight, ready to fly (sans prop, arriving today). 2x4 setup, no rudders

AUW is 17.94 oz with a 3S 2200 in it!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  4. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

Lgel, Shannon and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  5. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Thanks for the compliment - and had I seen that post before, I would've gone with different control horns. Lol. Here's to hoping they hold up! Maybe they'll be less strained by my use of the outermost hole rather than inner... Maybe.

I appreciate the heads-up and link!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shannon, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  6. I have some with the Hobby King version which looks pretty identical and none have broke on me yet, knock on wood. ;)

Shannon, bimoadiprakoso and gibby1117 like this.
  7. TxTH

TxTH Airman

Finally got around to finishing a new jet this past week or so. I had my eyeballs cut out and replaced so I was delayed getting around to finishing it. (cataract surgery and lens replacement) My latest is a 125% F-15 v5 as seen in earlier posts.
    This is the specs:
    MPF foam, wingspan 36 3/4".

NTM 2836 1400 kV, Turnigy Plush 60A ESC, Zippy Flightmax 4S 2200mAh 40C, APC 8x6 = around 52 ounces thrust

6 HXT900 servos, running regular 4 channel setup.

I was surprised the all up weight came out to only 30 ounces. I am going to try the 1400 first and then I may swap back to an NTM 2700kV with a 6x4 to see how it responds with that. (42 ounces thrust)

Any suggestions before I maiden it next week?

Pictured with my normal sized F-15 v5.
    IMG_2629.JPG IMG_2628.JPG

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  8. Plane looks great, glad your surgery went well. With the larger prop just be ready for some torque roll.

Shannon, Airflow, Lgel and 1 other person like this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Time to play with the F15 V5 diff-thrust twin again :)

The firstF15 v5 flight since June-July last year.

The powertrain is back in place, taken from the F22V5 diff-thrust twin.
    I have not flown this one much at all... Since the F22 v5 Took my breath away! and all my attention last year,, as soon as I got that "Uber-flier" in the air.
    But this one is actually not far behind... the F22v5 when it comes to maneuverability.:D

The powertrain from plane to plane....and back again.;)
    [​IMG]

Video of the entire flight, uncut :) Lasted nine minutes:)!
    ..with two motors and one single Gens Ace 1550mAh 4s.

1080pHD RCP F15 v5 2017 Back om track.

10. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Oh Lars. When I see you fly I feel like I have to ride the short bus to pilot training school.
    Wow. Just wow.

Peter

Wildthing, EricR, SukhoiLover and 3 others like this.
  11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Peter,
    feels even easier to fly it now than I remember it from last year. And back then it was already easy enough to fly! I Love these V fives!:)

12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

RCP F15 V5 DIff-thrust twin

A thrilling 3s run...
    The COG is quite far back now, due to short ESC wires. and a light 3s Lipo.
    Lets see how it goes!
    BTW an incident occurred, I knocked down the cellphone to the ground with the plane... without knowing it. I Tought the Cellphone still was on my head.

Video 1080p60HD My cellphone on its way to the ground. LoL:D

A Small 3s...
    [​IMG]

...Yes, Tail Hvy!
    [​IMG]

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Today's second flight, now with 1550mAh 4s
    A little more reactive now:D

1080pHD

homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  14. Well my neighbor was going to dismantle , save the good parts of his Blade 400 3D Heli and I told him I would buy it from him. He gave it to me for free, even came with a bunch of spare parts and really after going through it maybe $50.00 of extra parts I would need to purchase over and above the free spare parts so cool. :) He doesn't know it yet , I already have my rx in the heli and programmed so I took his and put it into the RCP F15 V5 and programmed his TX. He's always wanted to build a plane but with family and kids plus work never enough time so this way I might get him out there flying atleast. now the plane has a better chance of surviving then the heli. :D Plus I have way to many planes . :D :D

2017_0507_055908_001.JPG 2017_0507_055920_002.JPG 2017_0507_122428_001.JPG

15. TxTH

TxTH Airman

I have been out trying out my 125% F-15 again. On the maiden The tail fins were too flexible so I decided to stiffen them up a little with Sheetrock tape and Foam Tac. Flying with a 3S battery they were still flexing inward some but the plane at wot was puttering along like a Piper Cub. I put in the 4S battery and that opened it back up and now have some decent flying speed. The only problem is the two tails were almost touching each other they were flexed so far inward. :O So I have now installed cf rods in both tails and added a cross brace underneath with a cf rod in it as well. They flex very little now. Hope to get out again next week and try it out again. Maybe one of these days I will figure out how to film my escapades. :)

If I ever get my garage cleaned out I might could actually build some planes out there instead of on our dining room table. :) I had to throw in a picture of my stack-o-planes. :)

IMG_2797.JPG IMG_2798.JPG IMG_2795.JPG

Airflow, SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  16. cmbt66

cmbt66 Cadet

F-15V5 2.jpg F-15V5 1.jpg After building 7 other RCPowers airplanes I have built my first V5. The F-15 V5 is a great build. All ready for the Super Megajet!!!
    I have not done a 2X4 control system. I have kept a separate aileron servos and elevator Servos.
    Will the F-15 V5 roll fast with just ailerons or should I try the 2X4 aileron/elevator combo?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  17. cmbt66

cmbt66 Cadet

flew the F-15V5 today. Using a Super Megajet with 6x4 prop and 3S 2200Mah battery.
    I added the KF4 airfoil. This plane is really fun. I even was able to go straight down with throttle.
    One issue I do have is the Vertical Stabilizers are bent inward about 25 Degrees during high speed flight.

I brought the plane home and with some advice, I added a lateral piece of depron across lower fuselage to prevent fuselage side from flexing. I strengthened the glue joints of the depron with a layer of tape. I also recessed a Carbon Tube in each Vertical....What a difference. The plane was definitely faster. The nose was more stable. The low level full throttle turns were much more precise. The dive from altitude was also smoother. With the Verticals more secure,the buffeting was totally gone. I have not even added a gyro yet. perhaps I wont need to. Lateral beam.jpg Carbon Vert.jpg

18. cmbt66

cmbt66 Cadet

I incorporated the reinforcement Depron and carbon fiber rods to the verts on my 100% standard F-15. Great additions. Thanks for the ideas.

19. Johan121264

Johan121264 Airman

My new Rcpowers F 15 V5

Attached Files:

20. cmbt66

cmbt66 Cadet

That plane looks really great.

Shannon and Wildthing like this.