F-15 V5

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 30, 2016.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

"It doesnt appear to have the ability to fly under control at very slow speeds like numerous other parkjets do like the SU30-v4",... ...
    Hmm, no, no.. hehe! I disagree with you on that!;) Use your imagination, add Slats! It is at least as good or even better than any non canard Su with the same slat setup. Have you seen my maiden flight with a single 3s battery and single motor setup?. It's super manoeuvrable, easy to keep it close to the lens with full control even when gusty! excellent at very slow speed and high alpha. etc, etc... I Love it!:)

1080pHD F15 V5 Maiden in windy conditions, no trim needed! Elev/rud, no ail, 15.4oz Only! RTF:)

2. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

That's good to know

3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah! Build it if you get the urge to do so... I am very satisfied with it, even though I'm a Su freak.;)

4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Airflow,

I understand what you are saying and I am hearing you.

Based on Dave's promotional video of the plane as built and designed, he made it sound to me as if it wasn't a "great" slow Flyer and watching the video seemed to bear that out but that might be just a perception.

With soooooo many different planes to choose from to build and with time being a primary factor, this F-15 at least for now is not high on my list.

I prefer the way other planes appear to generally fly with a wider envelope but until I build it one can never be certain but it is very good to have choices in the way different planes are primarily designed to fly.

I purchase PDF parkjet plans and RC courses like the Ebook for a number of reasons, one being simply based on support for the guys that have been so good to us.

This is one that fits into that category for me.

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

;)... Ping!
    "

[​IMG]
    Time for more customization. I am impressed by Greg's F15 speed plane:cool: with a single powerfull NTM motor. Under rudder cannot go wrong either. ;-D

6. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Hello Lars,
    I really don't like the look of the wide canopy on the v5's but hey, your mod with the sleek canopy shape and without the step above the engine intakes looking great. I love it.
    Cheers

7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

It's a quick fix to get the canopy more 3D shaped, as well as the rest of the nose. Otherwise, mine is quite basic. All pieces out of 6mm Depron, no BWB design, wings are flat without any KF Airfoil. But things will change...

8. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Sure, it's not that big thing doing that, however it has a great effect for the look of the bird. ;)

9. rcfoamfly

rcfoamfly Airman

We're working hard to roll out the V5 Airframe kits and now the much loved F15 is available. Here's the link to our website page
    http://www.rcfoamfly.com/Products/SectionRCPowers/V5F15/index.shtml.
    With these laser cut kits we have tried to include some interesting features. One feature we have added to this kit from previous forum feedback is the pushrod templates in the foam sheet which show you the shape to bend the pushrods.
    KitSmall01.jpg
    ConstructedSmall01.jpg ConstructedSmall02.jpg ConstructedSmall03.jpg ConstructedSmall04.jpg

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  10. DJRubberCow

DJRubberCow Ace Pilot

Hi
    That step is actually realistic, the F-15 has drooping intakes to manipulate the shockwave of entering air at various flight speeds.
    Cheers

Shannon likes this.
  11. VenomKen

VenomKen Cadet

The Vertical Stabilizer you are using to compare to the F-15 looks like one of those to be found on SU-s and MIG-s. Double Check?

12. TxTH

TxTH Airman

I have a few quick questions. I am building an F-15 V5 at 125% size this weekend and have it all cut out.

I enlarged the plans so I also increased the length of the cf rods to 16" and 32". I added another 16" rod in the horizontal stabilizer. I am building it with the KF4 airfoil.

You can see from the first picture that the wingspan is now a little over 36" whereas the original is close to 29".

My question is this: Does the wing need any additional strengthening? I am using Model Plane Foam B. If it needed strengthening how should I do it? I can fiber glass it easy enough if need be.

Also I have a question about CF rods. I have both the round and square 3mm rods. The square ones do not flex as much as the round ones. Does it matter which one you use?

Once I get it finished and determine its weight I will decide what to power it with. I can put an NTM 2700 that I have with a 3S or 4S setup or I can use an NTM 1400 that I have used in the past on a 150% F-22. ( http://flitetest.com/articles/supersized-ft-22-150-bigger )

Thanks in advance for any ideas. F-15 big 2.JPG f-15 big 1.JPG

13. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hi TxTH,

I think you could get away with using the square cf if it doesn't impede airflow. On the strengthening question I think you'll be fine because you're going with kf4s. My 2¢!

Peter

14. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

Hi Venom. That is an old post that you quoted. The red outline is what the vertical looked like on the plan when they first released it. They updated it shortly after that post to the vertical that now appears in the plans. If you downloaded your plans recently then you would have gotten the updated plan with the correct flat top vertical.

Wildthing likes this.
  15. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

I heard one of the flite test guys say that if you double the size you have to quadruple the strength. I don't remember what video it was though...

So, by that math, if you are only increasing the size 25% I suppose you need to double the strength. I'm not saying that is what I would do, just what I've heard.

As you said; the square tube is less flexible than round, so you should be good there.

I would not go so far as adding fiberglass. That will add too much weight.

Maybe just some cheap, thin, packing tape applied under tension. That will add a considerable amount of strength in flexion with minimal additional weight.

Practice applying tape under tension on some scraps. It's tricky to use the right amount of tension on each side so you don't end up with a curved part. But when done correctly, it makes for a very stiff part with minimal weight gain.

Fly Safe.

SukhoiLover, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  16. TxTH

TxTH Airman

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go ahead and try this one with just the square rods to see how it works out. I really like the way my normal scale F-15 flies and look forward to seeing how this one performs.

SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  17. TxTH

TxTH Airman

Here it is, foam all assembled and ready to start installing the electronics. Bare weight at this point is 9.55 ozs. and I haven't done any sanding on it yet. You can see the size comparison to the normal sized F-15 next to it. This will definitely not be a speed plane but should be a lot of fun to fly and easy to see. 125percent f-15 V5.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    homey666, SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  18. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Ay--mas grande huevos!

19. TxTH

TxTH Airman

I came across this video of an F-15 taking off today and I was surprised at the amount of movement of the inlet plates to the engines. I thought maybe they moved at a particular throttle setting but they are also moving continually as the speed of the F-15 changes which makes sense when you consider what their purpose actually is. Pretty cool to see the amount of motion though you can't see the actual inlet to see the full degree of the changes occurring. (Look to the right and left of the crewman)

https://theaviationist.com/2013/03/...ff-with-an-f-15-eagle-fighter-jet-looks-like/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  20. lysle42

lysle42 Ace Pilot

you make it look so easy!

Wildthing likes this.