F-15 V5

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 30, 2016.

1. achilles

achilles Ace Pilot

DSCN0138.JPG Finished the F15 v5.Used the 4x4 set up for the first time.It flies a little different then using ailerons and elevator.

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks good! The less throws you put on ailerons the more it'll fly like an ailerons and elevons plane. I make sure I limit the aileron throws to less than half of normal. If they are full throws then when you are putting in up elevator like with loops, it can feel a little unstable as the airflow to the elevons is blocked by the ailerons.

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks SL I appreciate your funny and straightforward comments, and your reminders about safety!:)

4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Time to try it without Flaps, hopefully less drag, lift and stability.

Before
    [​IMG]

Done, flaps set to zero. The slats are still in use, at 15deg.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first testvideo online later today.

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The eagle looks like a SAAB SCANIA Grip (Griffin). Very stylish!

[​IMG]

6. achilles

achilles Ace Pilot

I came across the griffin while looking for a eagle and liked the look of it.

Airflow and Wildthing like this.
  7. Did you cut out your own stencil? It does look cool.

Shannon likes this.
  8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes! what can fit better on a F15 strike eagle than the eagle head.:cool:

Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ok time for the 3s testflight video with the flaps at zero dg.

Still hanging in there, the lack of flaps does not affect its lifting capacity as much as I thought. but the LE-slats are still down at 15 degrees.

1080pHD

10. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Oh, please stop--I'm blushing.
    Okay, tell me more . . .

Airflow likes this.
  11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Oh .. I made you blush, sorry...:D
    ..No no! I have to be more careful how I express myself.;)

12. achilles

achilles Ace Pilot

I found the image and printed it off and made a stencil and used an airbrush.

Shannon, Wildthing and Airflow like this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The hunt for more maneuverability. Test no2 now on 4s with flaps set to zero dgr. with the center of gravity 1 inch behind the rearmost recommended spot ...

Still a wonder of stability, even now, with the COG far beyond the red zone.
    5 thumbs up RCP staff!

1080pHD

14. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Wow--that's great! It looks at though "retracting" the flaps might have minimized some wing rock (although there was some around the 5:50 point of the video?), but I couldn't tell. I also could not tell if the different wind conditions had anything to do with it. How did it feel to you with and without flaps?

Thanks for posting the videos with these different configurations, equipment, CofG, etc. These probably need to be archived so other builder/pilots can benefit from guys like you, wildthing, bimo, F1wannabe, nakul, kiko, etc. Maybe some sort of "Experimental" thread . . . (Or is there one already?)

Airflow, Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  15. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Right?!? That thing is totally Airflow upgraded to the max!

Airflow, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks SL
    Flaps are good, but it's enough with slats on this one. flaps makes it easier to fly slowly without having to compensate with a high angle of attack on approach for landing.

What was occurred at 5:50 was a classic pilot error, PIO/over-compensation. It has to do with the diff thrust rudder/throttle mixing, when I'm not careful enough with the stick... The rpm of either the Left or Right motor increases rapidly when on 4s, (without using D/R Expo) even at a gentle touch of the rudder stick. It causes the plane to rock, until I let go of the stick.

So... Let it go before the overcompensation has gone too far... hehe... It's actually much easier to keep it steady in high alpha without differential thrust.

"PIO. Pilot-induced oscillations are sustained or uncontrollable oscillations resulting from efforts of the pilot to control the aircraft and occurs when the pilot of an aircraft inadvertently commands an often increasing series of corrections in opposite directions, each an attempt to cover the aircraft's reaction to the previous input with an overcorrection in the opposite direction."

Yes there is a "Experimental" thread already, created by SL ;-)
    Good idea!

SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  17. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Great, Airflow,

Would I please be able to post this on the "Experimental" page? Good stuff.

Thanks,

SL

Wildthing and Airflow like this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Of course, no problem!

Wildthing likes this.
  19. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Jeremy's build, he didn't worry too much about the colour, just used what we had, turned out ok. He maidened today, flies really well, set up with ailerons, elevator and rudders.
    [​IMG]
    He had a slight mishap on landing and nosed it in, you can see the crack in the nose, easy fix.

Grantman, SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Not sure when I can find time to buid it but bought it and downloaded it.

I love the real F-15, its a Mig Killing machine, always has been and will continue to be even for the foreseeable future.

Big old gray headed girl probably has the very best combat kill ratio of any fighter in history,.. period. When it comes to the Eagle in real life,.. all the Migs are just targets. Only thing better than the F-15 in real life is the F-22, nothing else in the fighter role even comes close.

BUT,.. of the 3-V5 planes released thus far this is one I most likely may never build as It doesnt appear to have the ability to fly under control at very slow speeds like numerous other parkjets do like the SU30-v4, SU-34-v4, SU-35-v5, FRCFoamies MK2-Alpha Jet or their Mig 2.88.

I like a good all around flight envelope and the F-15 doesnt fit in there for me.

Airflow, SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.