F-15 V5

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 30, 2016.

1. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

I have to agree with Lgel about the challenges of a wind-blown flying field. In a full-scale airplane it's easy to monitor your airspeed, but it our models it's all guesswork (though we can get better with experience). The turbulence we feel is also a function of wing loading (weight of the aircraft divided by the wing area). These park jets can have a very low wing loading--especially the really light slow-fliers--hence they can be VERY influenced by turbulence.

Take a look at a video of a rocky stream bed. That gives a very good example of how the wind moves over ground obstructions. If you're flying "downstream" of a treeline, buildings, etc., it can get pretty nasty from just above the obstacle height all the way to ground level.

https://app.nimia.com/video/136400/rocky-stream-5-uhd

The good news is these little guys rebuild pretty easily and quickly. Have fun and fly safely.

SL

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  2. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had a chance to build this yesterday - perfect 4th of July project! Only took a couple hours, actually, courtesy of Malukk who cut this kit for me! All surfaces are cut but I'm flying with elevons only on the maiden flight. Since this is the speed plane, ntm prop drive 2200, 6x4 prop on 1800 4s is my power set up. MPF, foam tac, fiberglass tape hinges and leading edge reinforcements mean I'm at about 20 oz with 40 oz of thrust, or so. As usual with speed planes that need some good distance to set up for runs, I've got the paint scheme I prefer for good orientation. The yellow points the way and white on bottom. Also, for efficiency, I've got all leading and trailing edges sanded which I've begun to do since the f35 v3. Feels super slippery especially when I'm using 2s. On 4s... We'll see! In the interest of speed, I butted the top fuselage/canopy piece on top of the fuselage sides to make the nose 12mm thinner. Finally, the f15 has been a stable wind plane so I've left off the kfs and am using a flat wing with no le flaps. Haven't done that in a while, but, less frontal area = more speed? Hope so!Almost got out tonight, but it'll probably be Thursday before I can fly.

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  4. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Love the mods. Love the color. Excited to see how she flies!

5. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Nice coloring Greg

Sent from my LG-F320K using Tapatalk

Wildthing, F1wanabe and SukhoiLover like this.
  6. TxTH

TxTH Airman

Love my F-15 v5! I was able to get out and fly several days last week and it flew true and straight. It was nice to have a plane go right where I was pointing it for a change. :)

(The "other" plane has a Turnigy G-60 in it. Any old timers recognize the plane? Too easy?)

planes a.JPG

Waiting in the "wings" - :)

planes b.JPG

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  7. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Top Flite Contender?

8. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

OrTaurus.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  9. TxTH

TxTH Airman

Right! I had one back in the 70's and couldn't wait to build one now that I am back into RC after 40 years or so. Doing an electric conversion to the Top Flite Gold version.

10. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

It's funny the things that your brain will hold onto,,,and the things that it won't! :)

11. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

What was I talking about,,,,,,?
    XD. lol

12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Finally got to maiden the F15v5 tonight just before dark. The 4s power system is definitely overkill!
    Unfortunately, on the way to the field I shut the liftgate of my wagon on the nose which required some emergency repairs. Luckily got the flight in before dark.

13. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Great flying skills and excellent tips Greg! I'll have to try out the beveling of the trailing edges for efficiency. Very very cool.

14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Wow Greg! that was a thrilling power maiden at dusk. Nice handling with all that torque.

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ready for Miaden! My first flight of an American twin jet, ever! Gonna take a chance with activated diff-thrust already at maiden... I do not know how it will react... Perhaps foolish to do it... Time will tell...
    It's too windy now.

The entire powertrain from my newest MiG 2.88. 2x 40A TGY Plush ESC, 2x TGY 2826/6 2200kv, 2x 6x4 APC. A simple 30min transfer job.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 and 4s 2000mAh 50 or 78oz of thrust.
    [​IMG]

16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

RCP F15 v5 Twin Diff-thrust prop in vert stab Maiden.
    This is a miracle! When it comes to stability. It was very stable with one motor, but now! It feels like flying a delta canard plane.

It did great on 3s. But it feels even more well-balanced with a 4s.

But first the 3s video. 1080pHd

Fz1Fazer, DavePowers, Shannon and 7 others like this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, talk about stable! Loved that, Lars! Who knew the f15 could do that? I always thought of it as a super stable mig 29 but that often worked against maneuverability. In this case, who cares? Very nice!

18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Greg, I have no idea why it is so incredibly stable... I am flying it with a flat wing like you, without KF2 and BWB skin...
    A 8.4 oz 4s battery was no proplem to lug around with either. Of course slats and flaps are playing a role here. The problem is that it is almost too stable in yaw, difficult to make tight 360s when doing flat spins even with Diff-thrust at 100%

The toe-in angle is radical on this plane, it has a negative impact on responsiveness in Yaw. COG is 1/2 " behind the rear marking of recomended COG.

19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

One of the best 4s maiden flights I have had so far with a twin diff thrust RCP plane.
    I think it's pretty much dialed in already:)
    Thanks Dave and Shannon!

1080pHD uncut

Fz1Fazer, Shannon, malukk and 4 others like this.
  20. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

RCPowers developed the airframe but you were the mad mod man who turned it into a twin-engined monster--I'd call that a collaboration. Great airplane and great flying. Thanks for posting and fly safely.

Fz1Fazer, DavePowers, Shannon and 5 others like this.