F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. lethuye

lethuye Airman

Yes, you cut it after the assembly so that you have a perfect fuselage shape! If you read the instructions, cutting the hatch and installing tape hinge is almost at the end of the build!

All the best on your build and the flight!

Lethuye.

menus666 and Shannon like this.
  2. menus666

menus666 Airman

thank you!!

Wildthing likes this.
  3. asma

asma Rookie

can I chose color

4. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

You can paint it whatever color you want.

Check out this thread if you are just "Getting Started" with RCPowers.

Wildthing likes this.
  5. ranjithshankar

ranjithshankar Rookie

Can anyone help me on how to build a v-tail ?? And can use aelevon controls on the model which is done by a sun-pack or sun-board....

Attached Files:

6. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

If your Sun-Board (Coroplast) is similar in thickness to Depron (5-6mm) then you should be able to build it using the RCPowers plans. However, it will be much heavier that it was designed for. Because of that, you will need a more powerful motor. It will also have to fly faster to stay in the air. And the higher speed will make it harder to control.

Is this your first parkjet? If so, I would recommend a more beginner friendly plane.

Are you following a plan, or is this a true Scratch Build?

7. ranjithshankar

ranjithshankar Rookie

This is my first build and unfortunately i got the motor of 2200kv of A2212/6T.

8. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

I've been flying a lot of different planes for a few years now. I always found the f-117 to be difficult to control. I would not recommend it for someone with no other RC flight experience. Especially one built out of a heavy material.

You might have better luck with a more traditional wing, such as the F-18 V3 that should be on your downloads page.
    I think the F-35 V2 was free for a while as well. I'm not sure if they still list that for new members.

Alternatively, you might be able to take what you have there and turn it into a "Cheap n Easy"
    http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/plans-for-the-cheapneasy.6085/

That is a good motor. What Prop, ESC, and battery do you have to go along with it?
    That motor should work well on the planes I've mentioned. You will just need more wing area than the F-117 layout will provide, to compensate for the weight of your plastic build medium.

Hope this helps.

notamedclosed and Wildthing like this.
  9. Avo

Avo Rookie

I finally finished my V3. Flies beautifully. So here is one more picture from a happy F 117 V3 pilot.

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  10. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

When the prop adapter is loose....but the balance is spot on....

11. :D

12. falcona

falcona Cadet

Printed my plans today at 120% so it will be slightly larger (approx. 48"x30") and easier for me to see and can carry the weight of my mobius camera in the cockpit on a rudder servo to pan as I roll the aircraft- but that is a later challenge. Here is the build so far- used extra CF bracing in nose section.

Attached Files:

Wildthing and Airflow like this.
  13. falcona

falcona Cadet

Filler and sanding to get the lines how I want them. My wing line was distorted a bit where it met the fuselage so I used a damp cloth and an iron on low to smooth it out and it worked great. Carbon fiber rod cockpit and installing panning camera servo into the flight deck next...

Attached Files:

Wildthing and Dennys like this.
  14. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

Falcona looking good, I am planing a 120% build as I fly at high altitude (Colorado 7,200 ft) how many sheets of foam did you use?

Very interested in your maiden flight. Best of luck!

Wildthing and falcona like this.
  15. falcona

falcona Cadet

Where in Colorado? I am in Denver! I used 6mm depron for entire build (drove to Co. Spgs to the warehouse to get it since I was in area) and hot glue majority of the joints. The glue sticks are 25gs each, I usually use 1-2 and it distributes good strength across entire model.

6mm depron, lots of CF bracing, and the foam filler really strengthens up when I cover model in minwax polycrylic for minimal weight. I build all my foamies a little heavy like this to deal with altitude and winds here (and hangar rash.... and hard landings....)

First cuts on the cockpit below, making floor insert to hold servo with mount for the mobius in it now:

Attached Files:

Airforce101 likes this.
  16. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

I am in Estes Park.
    Your build looks great, what engine will you use?

I built this model once before, it was my 2nd RCPOWERS build and I was new to RC. Flying it was beyond my skill level at the time and I demolished it. Am ready to try again, and 120% scale seams right. Hear is a pic of my 1st f-117

image.jpg

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and falcona like this.
  17. falcona

falcona Cadet

Thats a beautiful build, did the red help keep it visible in the air at all? We will have to fly sometime soon I go to Boulder r/c field to fly occasionally.

I have crashed so many starting out that I have been forced to get good at building them. This one is 120%, I am not sure on AUW weight yet. I will be using a 2200 mah, 30A esc, Turnigy 2200 KV, and whatever prop gives me the best numbers in e-calc, probably a 7x4 (I enlarged the prop gap to accommodate incase I need the 7". Hoping AUW around 700g. I am not building for speed or anything crazy, just a sturdy fun plane I can pull out my car quickly and fly lazy patterns and a few mild aerobatics and turn a few heads.

I am debating about a silver or white main color paint job or to go traditional with black....

18. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

The red was added after the maiden, lost orientation on first turn. The really helped, especially the bottom shown here.

Attached Files:

19. falcona

falcona Cadet

Used sheet rock tape under leading edge and spine of the wing, and a coat of monocrylic. Decided on aluminum/silverish color so hit it with the first coat of white base color. It weighs in a 265g right now, and AUW will be under 700g. The bottom will be painted black and silver in the scheme of the drywall tape, a giant arrow pointing in its direction of flight.

Taped on the military star decal to get an idea of what it will look like. It will be painted black on each side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Wildthing likes this.
  20. Gvdh

Gvdh Ace Pilot

This is such a cool looking plane... i'd love to give it a go using 2mm corro like most of my other park jets....

I assume a large percentage of the lift comes from the shape of the cabin area? (Not just the flat bottom sliding on air, but kinda like a lifting body?)

Wildthing likes this.