F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

20150620_073845_resized.jpg
    It was my favorite too. I had an ESC meltdown (suspect wrong prop size) and the aircraft locked at half throttle and rolling from about 150'. Beuatiful crash and all electronics survived. This is the 3rd incident with Suppo ESC's and I like the Suppo motor, but no more ESC's. Here is the result of 45 MPH rolling straight into the ground.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  2. wes_huntley

wes_huntley Cadet

I had trouble getting the download plans for the F117 V3 and I contacted RC Powers and almost imediatly they sent the proper info to me-thanks a lot. I've built almost all of RC planes and I'm on my second case of Depron. Wish I was a camera guy, but I'm very satisfied with what RC POwers has given me.-wes

Shannon and F1wanabe like this.
  3. wes_huntley

wes_huntley Cadet

A little weak o the dotted lines, but I worked it out. Ignore pictures 14 and 15. Other than that easy build. Other seven of my planes make this one a piece of cake once you figure out the invisible dotted lines. Anxious to fly it. Kinda hard to go out and fly in 114-117 degrees. Might have to wait for our winter season. When all our 75 club members get back around Oct, Nov, I'll have some eyeopeners.

4. wes_huntley

wes_huntley Cadet

Your not alone, I'm known as"Crash wes"

Flybyknight22 and Heat like this.
  5. wes_huntley

wes_huntley Cadet

6. wes_huntley

wes_huntley Cadet

I flew my new stealth this morn before it got to hot. It's a different plane from the other seven of Dave's that I've built. Takes some getting use to hand launching that close to the prop, but it flies very nice. I guess my favorite is still the F-18 V3 with landing gear-working on a steerable nose wheel. Going to make something similar to the Apprentice steering system-Although I'm considered a "newbie" I've used thirty sheets of Depron 6mm and have built almost all of Dave's plans. It is only a hobby that I really enjoy. Too bad that I'm not a camera buff as some of my cardboard plane and their abilities would knock your eyes out untill the humidity ruins them. Then I just go on to the next one. But RC Powers has opened up a whole new world for me with the Depron foam and the excellent designs.-wes

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wes, you are right. Dave and Scott brought Foamies to the masses with their easy but great flying designs and more importantly, nurturing atmosphere on the forum. The most beginner friendly forum on the interweb if you've built that many planes you're an advanced builder for sure!

8. mercury8

mercury8 Airman

A new member of the Powers F117 group. Some photos taken yesterday at the LARCS Club, Logan Queensland AU.

Attached Files:

9. Wow! Very nice clicks...

10. mercury8

mercury8 Airman

Hi Malukk, thanks for your comments. I was concerned with the use of dark grey depron (soft) instead of the white depron. During the construction I was not happy with the depron flexing in the motor area and rear wing areas so I had seen in some of the older posts that they had used a second layer under the aircraft eg. photo. Q96A1769 light a.jpg

Heat likes this.
  11. Adding another layer of depron is also a good idea but what i do to keep the weight down and make it even more stronger is to use some brown paper...
    First apply water based minwax (or an alternate water based polyurethane - usually available at hardware stores) to the foam, the apply a coat to 1 side of brown paper (available in paint section of hardware stores - you could even use tissue rolls but i havent tried with that yet). Apply the pre-cut brown paper to the foam and then apply another coat of minwax..
    Your foam will be as strong as you can possibly imagine once its dry...
    Not only that, it also sands well...
    And by this technique u add very minimal weight...

Lgel, mercury8 and jimbosflyin like this.
  12. wes_huntley

wes_huntley Cadet

I don't know if anyone has had the same thing happen to them as did happen to me on the Stealth. I found that the fuselage going back to the tail had a split across the small part of the fuselage. I don't know when or how it happened, but I added two 6 inch 3mm carbon rods from the tail feathers up to the inside cowling. Have had no more problems with it. Flies great.

malukk and mercury8 like this.
  13. mercury8

mercury8 Airman

Hi Wes, I had a concern about that area and my solution had been to add a second layer of depron (as per my post above). Both your and Malukk solutions would have been better.

malukk likes this.
  14. tuckjohn

tuckjohn Rookie

I maidened my f-117 yesterday and it flew great like everyone knows it does, but my microjet v3 was making a strange sputtering sound at any power level above 1/4 stick. I've checked all of the conectors, and none of them are loose. I am using a 6x4 prop, and a Grayson Hobby 30A ESC. I was using two batteries; a 1600mah 3s which the sputtering was happening with, and an 800mah 2s, which the sputtering was not happening with.

The sound starts at about 4:50 in the video

edit: i discovered the negative part of the connector on my battery was wobbling all over the place.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Heat likes this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

16. FatsGW

FatsGW Rookie

So I modified the plans a little (yes I know it says do not modify)...

This is a mini F117. I won't say how much I scaled it down yet. It flies alright, suffering from a lot of torque roll. But once you get the hang of the torque roll, it is pretty fun to fly! It weighs 160g , with battery. So crashes are pretty much just bends to the nose and easily fixable.

It flies really fast for its size! Will try a slightly bigger size to see if it helps with the torque toll roll

Attached Files:

bimoadiprakoso and Baufritz96 like this.
  17. lfrichar

lfrichar Rookie

I actually made the fuselage out of a single piece of Depron and simply strengthened the back end with Gorilla Tape. Worked great.

18. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

Looking great in the air!

19. SteveD

SteveD Rookie

Really wish I saw this post before my maiden. I had the same flexing with foam I used (paper removed) and despite some reinforcing carbon totalled this one on first flight...incredibly frustrating after seeing others fly without any issues. Is it worth adding another layer or is the F117 to unstable, along with having a high thrust line???

20. menus666

menus666 Airman

For the hatch the plan says SCORE but I think is supose to be cut??
    I think also I have to score the hatch hinge from under??
    Sorry for my poor english...