F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

Well I went with the dowel anyway. Here's my progress so far, hopefully I've built it it the right order because the instructions seem to be of a different build altogether?

Great to plans although I would expect a decent build log considering this is the first plane I have built that has cost money for the plans.

Attached Files:

2. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

Done....
    I'm not a fan of painting, grey depron all the way for me in future although I do like the black.
    It was a really good easy build,
    Great plans, well worth buying!

(it weighed in at exactly 20oz, painted with dowel leading edges and a 2200ma battery)

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

Maiden..........

This is the first flight of my F117v3 in not the greatest of weather. it was quite windy and not the best light. I nearly crashed at the beginning (low rates) but after getting a feel and flicking back to the recommended throws (40% Expo, probably reduce that) it flew really nice and I mean REALLY NICE!!!!!
    It definitely needs a lighter colour on the bottom to help with orientation. My plane didn't fall nose down as I read somewhere, maybe I need to bring the cg forward slightly but I recovered a tumbling plane with plenty of throttle.

I am using the cheap HK 6x4 props (balanced) and this thing has LOADS of power and is stable as hell.
    I think some bigger throws are in order in calmer weather!!!

This is definitely going to be my regular flyer considering its performance and build simplicity.
    this is the best quick build ever, it looks the part too!
    Absolutely well worth buying these plans. yeah there's loads of free ones and I didn't see why I should pay for some but its well worth it so support RC Powers they do cracking work!

Cheers

Mark

CeeKay and Boxermad84 like this.
  4. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

Sorry for being so slow to get back to you. I usually paint after assembly, and paint the hinges also.

Looks like your build went well, and also the maiden. I maidened mine in some wind also, makes things interesting for sure. In fact, this is the windiest time of the year or us, so not getting much flying in these days.

Congrats on your build and flight.

5. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

It looks like I'll have to put up with painting my future planes. I bought some grey depron and it's nothing like the white. It's slightly thinner and a lot more soft and flexible than the white.

No good at all in my opinion

6. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

20150306_123729.jpg Led's controlled by the gear switch on the tx
    Should make some good dusk flights!

7. Baufritz96

Baufritz96 Ace Pilot

That looks amazing. Be aware though that the ufo sightings in your area might increase depending on your flight plans :p

8. yamahajim

yamahajim Cadet

Just finished my F-117 v3. All up with 2200 mah is 20 oz. Just picked up a camera so i can start filming my flights. Just need a little nicer weather and it is go time. f117 1.jpg f117 2.jpg f117 3.jpg f117 4.jpg

9. Wow, that looks great yamahajim! Very nice!

10. yamahajim

yamahajim Cadet

Thanks for the compliment malukk.

11. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

Looks really nice! I need some extra colours on mine as keeping orientation can be a ***** ha!

12. gratefulfrog

gratefulfrog Cadet

Hi guys!

I finally maidened my F117 with only partial success, sigh. Both wings broke in flight! They cracked from the inner corner of the ailerons outwards to the leading edge. It was a master pilot who managed to bring the plane back to the field, inverted, with nearly no command authority and made an inverted zero damage landing!

Obviously, that was not me at the commands.

My plan is to add another carbon spar to the wing and reinforce the leading edges with thin carbon rod as well, then fly fly fly again!

Cheers,
    Bob
    IMG_20150405_193527.jpg IMG_20150405_193521.jpg

13. SHAFIUL

SHAFIUL Rookie

I LIKE THIS PLANE SO MUCH.CAN I HAVE IT'S PDF PLAN

14. gratefulfrog

gratefulfrog Cadet

The plans are for sale. go to the first post on this thread and buy them!

15. Nightware

Nightware Rookie

I did this with too much input at too high a speed. From my break direction, was pitching down that did it for me.

16. Nightware

Nightware Rookie

I had cracks at the inboard corner of the wing for both elevons.
    Sitting there staring at it while I deburred another wing rib for a kit plane, I finally caught on. Sharp corner, vibration, that's where the cracks are born. On my next F117, I'll try rounding it a bit, and perhaps adding a bit of support to spread the force out.

17. 9T5SVT

9T5SVT Cadet

Well, I maidened my F117 v3 this past Tuesday and wow, does this thing climb like crazy...!! ((00)). I wasn't expecting that but was able to get a smidge of actual controlled flight time...until I decided it would look better if I was to fly it straight into the ground, which I did. I'll post a pic up in a few of the aftermath. But overall I thought it actually flew pretty stable for my newbie skills. I'm going to do what I can to repair her and get back out there. My only question is how far forward do most of you put the battery?

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. gratefulfrog

gratefulfrog Cadet

I place the battery to get the CG around 43cm from the nose and it flew great until the wings cracked... Now repairing...

Check my build log in earlier post... Sorry can't put it in here due to phone keyboard..

Ciao,
    Bob

19. 9T5SVT

9T5SVT Cadet

Here is the aftermath. This is dollar tree foam btw.

Attached Files:

20. gratefulfrog

gratefulfrog Cadet

@9930529451 no one is going to send you the file; you have to buy it. Sorry.