F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

MileHi, thanks for the kind comments! My parents live in Sedona and we were visiting them with my step son and step daughter-in-law. We've been to Prescott before and it's a must see as far as I'm concerned, but we were running out of time after Jerome. But next time I'll pm you. We need to get back there soon....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RCJohnnyB likes this.
  2. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

That picture is hilarious.

Yes, PM me when you're coming back, that would be great.

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, wife's idea of a practical joke is to push me off the rock when I was posing for pictures! At least she was nice enough to help me back up. ;) Looking forward to seeing your flight of the F117 v3!

4. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

Viggen. Sincerely sorry to see that happen, brothers in RC. Keep LQQKin Up, ok, as my grandpa always used to say. Cool, simple, but profound statement, huh. Sincerely, sux when that happens. My version of that* person, is my Older Immature brother of two older ones, who have Zero respect for our hard work making our builds, so...I hear ya!!:( Best of Luck patching her up I hope...still reading...JB.:(

5. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

Sounds like my soon to be exwife #2. Except shed have her one of idk how many guys, she cheated on me with, do it for her if I had to bet on it, she's that psycho I found out, the hard way, enuff said?:(...wow, I knowwww. UGHHHH. Cool pics thou...still reading...JB.

6. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

Ditto, on the flight video, and great pics, F1. Sincerely, thanks for sharing them. Cool scenery!!:)

7. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

Thought I would throw a few pictures on here real quick. I hope it still looks like this after tomorrow.

The green didn't cover very well, I guess my Bob Ross skills are lacking.
    IMG_0892 (Small).JPG IMG_0893 (Small).JPG IMG_0894 (Small).JPG

Attached Files:

DavePowers and RCJohnnyB like this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, milehi, that looks really sharp-good work on that!

9. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

Thanks. Doing the final decorative pretty stuff is the hardest part. Once the build is done, I just want to fly it. I flew the Mig-29 10 times before putting any color on it. Kinda hard to keep orientation when they are all white though.

RCJohnnyB and F1wanabe like this.
  10. Baufritz96

Baufritz96 Ace Pilot

Well if you fly them white long enough, they get that natural camo look on the underbelly :D

RCJohnnyB and F1wanabe like this.
  11. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

Here's the maiden, crooked camera and all. After the launch, skip to 4:00 or so. At around 5:00 at high speed, you will hear the elevons flutter. I think I will be moving the servos out onto the wing with shorter rods and the control horns closer to the center of the elevons.

All in all, a great flying plane, even in that wind. Thanks guys.

DavePowers, RCJohnnyB and F1wanabe like this.
  12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, what a great flight! great work on the build and flying. The launch was perfect- Really good speed too! Changing the linkage will definitely do the trick on the flutter. I use dubro micro push rods in tubes glued down to the wing to prevent any play what so ever and they are super light too.

RCJohnnyB likes this.
  13. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

Thanks. It was too windy to do any slow flying, hopefully next time.

14. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

One of these days I want to get a better camera, and learn how to edit the footage into something a little more presentable. Baby steps I guess.

RCJohnnyB likes this.
  15. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

Great looking plane! What's the approximate time build time for this model? I read 4 hours somewhere, is that really possible? I'm just finishing off my f18 at the minute and that took way longer than that.
    Also what paint did you use?

Cheers

Mark

16. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

It takes me a couple days to build. But I have full plans printed, cut them out, transfer to DTF (dollar tree foam), cut that out, trace to MPF (model plane foam), cut that out and then assemble. Except for the main fuselage/wing piece for the F-117, it's too big to fit on DTF.
    This way, if I want to build another plane, or just need a repair piece, it's easy to trace out on the MPF and cut. But, it does mean that you are cutting out parts for two planes essentially.
    The paint I used for black, gray and white was Testor's spray paint from the hobby store. The green is acrylic brush-on from Walmart.

Thanks for the compliments.

F1wanabe and RCJohnnyB like this.
  17. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

Build started!!!
    I have transferred the paper templates to card for hot wire cutting. It's fast, does nice straight up and down cutting.
    I've been looking for a quick build plane that still looks and flies well for regular flying so I don't mind crashing to often.

This looks to fit the bill exactly.
    Great plans. The parts fit together perfectly!

Cheers

Mark

Attached Files:

18. Baufritz96

Baufritz96 Ace Pilot

Wow, very clean cuts. Looking forward to the finished product!

F1wanabe likes this.
  19. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

Build question with regards to weight.
    I want to run a 6mm wood dowel along the leading edge of the wing. It give a nice rounded edge and will give it good impact protection. It weighs 27g I will also be using a 2200ma battery, will this be pushing it weight wise?

Thanks

Mark

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

Do you paint the parts before building or paint the finished model? Also how do you paint the tape hinges, doesn't it come off?
    I have built quite a few models but never painted one