F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

That kind of motor will work with something like a 8x4 prop if I remember right?
    Now, that will "work" on these planes, but you'll have to cut a big hole/slot in the plane and it will fly with lots of torque roll. So not idea for these planes.

RCJohnnyB likes this.
  2. viggen

viggen Rookie

learnt a hard lesson today.dont let your friends fly your plane

Attached Files:

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh no, viggen! Thats a good one to remember. Does your friend know how to build a new one?:D

4. viggen

viggen Rookie

well i semi fixed it...i cant believe if flow again.lol.the last few days ive been flying the su34 a lot.then flow this one again today...all i can say is wow.its so twitchy compared to the su34 and requires you to be a lot smoother on the sticks with lessmovment..i missed flying this plane

F1wanabe likes this.
  5. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Ha! Right? The Su-34 will really spoil you.
    Don't ever put gyros on anything, then you'll get REAL lazy (like me).

RCJohnnyB and F1wanabe like this.
  6. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

Hi Dave. Hope all is going great for u brother!!:) Hey, just wanted to say, I dig and wanna build Ur F-117/V3, but a buddy is sending me another F-117/kit (for free), so I cannot pass that up, ya know. But, when my budget improves, hopefully with networking with u like u suggested, ASAP I hope, then I will be able to afford more RCPowers builds too. Cheers buddy+plz pm or email me back on that subjects updates, ok, thx.

7. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

Just finishing up the F-117 V3 and have a few questions.

1) The CG in the instructions says 15" from the nose, but the plans show it at 17.5". Which is correct? I hope it's the 17.5", because I barely get CG at that point with a 3S 2200 far enough forward that it's a pain to get in and out.

2) The tail section and wing tips seem to need some carbon fiber tube to keep them rigid enough when using MPF. I added some CF after most of the assembly, but would have been much better before the other parts were added to the wing plate.

I can't maiden it today, but wouldn't anyway without confirming the CG. Thanks for your help.

RCJohnnyB likes this.
  8. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

*GO OFF YOUR PERSONAL BUILD, BC* IT MAY BE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS THEN THE ORIGINAL PLANS, therefore the CG will be placed differently as well, does that make sense to you, MileHi?;) I have also made 50-60% size builds of multiple V4s and the Alpha Jets, all of which I've had a Blast building and flying, FYI, and the CG is completely different for each, bc of the size build differentials, see?!*:) what I personally do is, once its RTF, fully loaded with the Motor mounted with prop, electronics, Lipo I'm going to use, etc.,+++ I make Velcro strips longer then needed too, for flexibility in batteries to use too*, hint, then I use my thumb and index finger, with my other hand holding one end, ever so gently for support + stability only, so it doesn't fall down, and slide my fingers back from the nose, until I find the CG sweet spot, then I mark it with one of my fingernails, with a small indent. After this, I take my T-square or straight edge, whatever u have available, and measure that indent back to the motor mount and there u have Ur CG. It's worked for me, for over 30+ builds. I call it, my poor man's CG method. There's WAYYYYY more expensive ways of setups to find it, trust me, but I find this method works just as well, for FREE**;) WELL, That's, my two cents. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Johnny, don't you use the cg that's marked on the plan? Regardless of whether the plan is printed at the wrong scale, the cg Mark will always be at the right spot on the plan.

10. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

I do and I don't, bc depending on any modifications I have done to the original plans, and u knowwwwww me;), well, then that changes Everything. U know.lol:) But, if you are going "stock build," then Yes, I'd agree with u F1.:) Good to hear from u too, fyi. How r things with u, my RC overseas brothers and sisters?!*:):) Cheers, JB.:)

11. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

For instance, if I make a 60% actual sized Alpha Jet, with a regular 2212-2200kv and regular 3s etc. It offsets ALLLL the CGs. Does this make sense F1? Txtmb plz thx.

12. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

Thanks for the feedback on my question. I did some searching (a lot of reading) in this section and saw that F1 goes with the 17" mark, so I will go with that.

I was going to post pics, but realized the cam is in the wife's car, and she ain't here, so the pictures will have to wait.

My first RCP build was the Mig-29, and that went very well. Awesome airplane !!!

I will try for the F-117 maiden on Monday. I will have to get up early though, the spring winds are coming. I will update how things go. Thanks again.

RCJohnnyB likes this.
  13. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

I've never been to Arizona. Is it nice there this time of the year? Zero regress with -10'windchills, 40+mph wind gusts and 1-3' of snow drifts everywhere here in central iL. UGHHHH, huh.LOL;) wish I could find someplace to knock the rust off my flying skills and maiden my ten new builds too, my RC Arizona brother!!:) Best wishes to you+your maidens too. Wish I was there,
    right Now, too.lol;) This Thursday, I may drive into a town about 20 miles away, that has an inside soccer/football fields dome, and see if I can get any...FlyTime, from the powers that be there. Wish me luck, and I'll take my video camera and a few setups with me, as to hopefully impress them into giving me some inside fly time.:) Wish me luck, my RC Arizona brother from another mother!!:):);)

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, the correct cg for stable flight is set on the plan. If you change the size or type of components, then you must shift those components around to maintain the correct cg. The correct cg doesn't move, only the components would move in order to keep the cg on that same mark.

RCJohnnyB likes this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Milehi, the stock cg was perfect. In fact, on the maiden flight I was expecting some drama but nothing. Perfect launch and flight with that cg.

MileHi and RCJohnnyB like this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh and last week I was a few miles from you eating at the Haunted Hamburger in Jerome. We ran out of time so didn't continue on to Prescott even though we had planned to do it. You are in God's country there!

MileHi likes this.
  17. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

I agree 100% with your logic, F1, but once the original plan IS altered, as u agreed too, the CG Must shift to accommodate those alterations. Do u agree with that logic as well?:) ps...I Love my two Alphas builds, Zombie Killer & The King of Beasts, and I cannot wait for better weather, here, to spread their wings some more!!:):) Thank you, for your creative designs, sincerely**:)

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ok Johnny, just making sure that anyone reading through the thread for the first time won't get confused by thinking that the cg on this plan or any other is a moving target. If you modify a plane, the cg may need to shift, but when building a plane from the plan,the cg on the plan should be pretty exact. Thanks for chiming in!

MileHi and RCJohnnyB like this.
  19. RCJohnnyB

RCJohnnyB Ace Pilot

No, you're 100% correct on that, if they're following the original plans to the letter, Yes the CG is ALLLL set. I agree with u, my RC overseas brother!!;) Rock On, and so what's coming up, Next, from the F1 ThinkTank of designs, Hmmmmmmm??;) Any spoiler alerts you can share with the forum?:) I for one, cannot wait, sincerely. Your Alpha Jet is absolutely revolutionary, in my opinion!!:) Plz, keep those cool designs cranking out, bc I can't buy and build em quick enuff!!;) Thx again!!

20. MileHi

MileHi Rookie

F1, Yeah, we're just over the mountain West of Jerome. Too bad you didn't make it to Prescott, it's a cool old town. You must have gone through Sedona then. That place is awesome.

Thanks again for your help, and also thanks for all of your input and videos.

F1wanabe likes this.