F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. sundog

sundog Cadet

Yeah, the F-117 is surely a strutter, but it's [in reality] been retired since April 2008 -- now the X-47B is the hots :)

My F-117Vx Addendum:

1. The "wing rock" was due to too soft control surfaces -- Fixed with carbon, threaded steel rod and JB "Wood Weld"
    2. Issue: prop installed backwards -- the numbers goto the FRONT [towards the motor] and you need a "prop reamer" or in my case an Exacto to do a field expedient install :lol: Now how was a Rookie to know?
    3. Lucky to have an RC instructor with 11 years exp to take me under his wing so to speak. After all the mods he finally flew it without crashing -- it soured like an eagle -- when the ESC cut the power he glided it to the grass like a kite. It was an amazing thing to see. I wanted to video on Sunday, but Winter moved in and I had to head South.
    4. He pointed out a prop starvation (design) issue. Fixed by cutting out some foam [see Images].
    5. battery Box placed on bottom by RCP recommendation for extra stability -- but more vulnerable?
    6. Was informed I am nowhere near the weight limit for this airframe now. Perhaps ill put the 3-point "super-lite wheels" back on and make the bottom rudder "steerable" with an servo [next to last Fig?] -- just 4 some runaway taxi fun!
    7. KFms [Airfoils] added as by RCPUCourse suggestion, but made with cheap soda straws & epoxe :lol:

BTW: Tail damage is due to "Hanger Rash" on route to TX thru wicked storms at night! This thing survived several brutal dives without major damage. I reenforced the nose with coat hanger rod to off-set the tail heavy CoG.

I am getting an 50 Amp Motor + rated ESC from Greyson -- gonna build something you won't believe! :)

No more Toys 4 Big Boys heheh. Picture 149.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    DavePowers likes this.
  2. sundog

sundog Cadet

So why wasn't the F-117 V3 included in this great "Cyber Sale" I just bought :(

3. trumpy959

trumpy959 Ace Pilot

Probably because it's part of last year's V3 package and already being sold separately at a discount. The cyber sale is for this year's complete V4 package (all four planes). The F-117 V3 you purchased (ala-carte) was a separate item not included in the cyber sale and still a good deal @ $12.99

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Airforce101, hwilton and F1wanabe like this.
  4. sundog

sundog Cadet

Well mine was not the V3 -- it's the considerably larger EBV2, but still good. I think the V3 is about the same size as the V1?

5. sundog

sundog Cadet

II. FIELD SAFETY RULES
    Sub Section G. Special Flights

Special flights of models that do not comply with AMA regulations can be undertaken only if:

1. The individual obtains approval of the Safety Officer.

2. The pilot provides proof of additional liability insurance.

3. The field is closed for the flight

"Well, Close the Field ... The Blackbird is gonna spread its wings once again, since I have effected all the "Hanger Rash" repairs!

"Wheels Up in 30"

Well, I put the 2" ultra-lite wheels back on. It will taxi straight as an arrow now that I adjusted the front landing gear for prop torque. No change in CoG I can see.

Attached Files:

6. gratefulfrog

gratefulfrog Cadet

Here's my F117 V3 "maiden", sigh :

It was easy to repair, except for my broken heart ;-)

Such is RC-life, when you're me :-D

Ciao,
    Bob

7. demesmaeckerluc664

demesmaeckerluc664 Rookie

you had to push a little bit harder

8. gratefulfrog

gratefulfrog Cadet

yes, and the CG was a bit too far forward as well, sigh...

9. sundog

sundog Cadet

the Eagle has landed:

No "Expo" here :lol:

DavePowers likes this.
  10. sundog

sundog Cadet

When at first you don't succeed ...

First maiden off taxi my 117 v2 went up fine then suddenly dived straight into the bank along the runway and got a serious nosebleed. The 2nd try days later my instructor lost the plane in the sun and I had to duck before it stuck into the soggy ground [about 6 inches deep]. I have since reenforced the nose with coat hanger wire (I needed some additional weight up front anyway due to some Tail-Heavy CoG issues, likely due to my wheel choice/placement).

We finally realized the ctrl surfaces were way too soft [flexing] and were giving in under the wind and prop wash causing "wing rock" and instability. Also my prop was installed BACKWARDS! I needed a "prop reamer to fix this issue -- actually I used my field expedient and trusty 'Exacto knife' to carefully ream it out to match.

In addition the flap closed top access panel [as is designed into the plans] was starving the prop for needed air. Revamping all this with stiffer carbon & steel push-rods, a drop-down and docked out cowling, battery placement Left and UNDER the nose, has made my 117 soar like a raptor! So don't give up :)

I also tossed my completed model over tall grass in a field several times, with and without the battery, with the necessary CoG corrections to flight test it's glide capability and trim -- if it will glide it will fly!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    DavePowers and Airforce101 like this.
  11. sundog

sundog Cadet

Knock em out at the feed store:

I stocked up with Purina Spring Mineral Blocks, two Quick Draw Hog
    Blocks and some extra Range Cubes for the regular livestock.

I happened to have my RCP F-117 plane in my truck, just thinking I might check out a local air
    park later ... but then I noticed, a big smooth parking lot right there, surrounded by wide
    open spaces, it was extremely tempting --
    flat as a pancake, vast irrigation fields all round.

I had promised em an RC demo at that store two weeks ago.

I gave full throttle for a test taxi run, plus full raised flaps. It
    just went almost straight up; over the round bales, hog traps and wire
    fence stores, soured over the huge square bale shed, banked just over
    the Liquid Ammonium Tanks and just cleared the MEC Power Lines.

It then just soured up, and up like a raptor. I slooowly turned it around,
    not sure how to land her, so I just cut the throttle and guided the craft down
    to a nice soft landing in the far field with an ending motor boost up.
    It was a long walk to recover the aircraft though :lol:

Those hayseeds had never seen nothing like it! Legal by AMA regs?
    I doubt it. Will I do it again? Most likely :)

Perhaps more time on the "ClearView" Flight Simulator is in order for me though, heheh?

Maybe I could get one of those good ole boys to use my video camera to film a takeoff?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    DavePowers likes this.
  12. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey sundog, sounds like a good save there?
    You think its pitching up and stalling from CG or pitch from the elevons or v-tails?
    Curious to what the cause is...

13. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

i will build one of these this winter..just been lazy about it ;)

F1wanabe and DavePowers like this.
  14. sundog

sundog Cadet

Flies great, I am just not great at flying plane and level yet -- even on the simulator. Now Winter has moved in here -- at least for Xmas.

F1wanabe and DavePowers like this.
  15. laura

laura Rookie

hi all
    im about to try and build this plane.
    but i cant get dubro 2-56 push rods..please could someone tell me the length and diameter of the push rods needed

thanks

16. gratefulfrog

gratefulfrog Cadet

17. laura

laura Rookie

can i use a 2840 kv brushless motor.or is that to powerful?
    this is all new to me.can someone explain the batteries to me...can any size go with a 2200 or 2840 kv motor
    what does fk's mean?
    thanks

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  18. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

Easy answer is KV is the rpm the motor spins per volt applied. You need more info on the motor as any size motor could be 2840kv. Batteries all have a 'C' rating which is the discharge rate, a 1000mah 20c battery will discharge at 20amps continuosly (1000mah x 20 = 20,000mah = 20A), as long as your motor pulls less than the batteries' rating you're safe using it.
    Not sure what fk's you're talking about.

F1wanabe likes this.
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

When shopping for motors, I always check the wattage. For a parkjet, if a motor is under 250-300 watts I move on to the next one. Wattage for me is a little more important than kv. Then once I see the Wattage is right, to use a 6 inch prop you need 2000 - 2500 kv for the right thrust. Those two together will give you a good power set up.

20. laura

laura Rookie

thanks.i ment kf.lol
    i have a 2840kv motor but unsure of wattage.
    the motor came with a 5.5 inch prop.is it ok to use a 6x4 prop with this motor?

lysle42 likes this.