F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. lethuye

lethuye Airman

Thanks, Deadstick! Believe it or not I do not have a video camera and nor does my flying buddies. Come to think of it, I have never seen them even taking still pictures! At my age, it will be quite a task to learn to take videos, edit and upload!

Yes, MPF is ALMOST as good as Depron but half the price! ($ 5/sheet delivered!) The only drawback with MPF is it's width (they are 40 inch X 24 inch sheets) so you need improvise! On this F-117 build, I couldn't fit one Elevon in the sheet, so I had to cut out one Elevon separately. Other than that MPF is much better than others like Dollar Tree, Blue Foam etc.

All the best on your build.

Lethuye.

2. Deadsitck

Deadsitck Cadet

Never to old Lethuye! I find a wing camera on the plane adds a bit of excitement. As soon as the wind dies down I'm out with a go pro style hd camera on my F-117.

3. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Great, I am happy it worked out for you! And thanks for the credit, but as you point out: so many people on this forum are willing to help and post good info, it makes it a great community.

lethuye likes this.
  4. colorc

colorc Airman

I am curious if the link to buy/download these plans is available. The established link takes me to the v4

5. colorc

colorc Airman

Poor f117. No love for it since june. :p

Airflow likes this.
  6. colorc

colorc Airman

Hi scott, i am curious to what happened to the link for the plans to the f117v3

7. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Hey Colorc, we don't have the V3 package on the homepage anymore, but you can still get it here.

8. colorc

colorc Airman

Awesome. Thanks

9. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

Here's my F-117 V3! I added plenty of CF to make it stronger. Also added a bit of foam over the servos with flexible control rods. It flew very well today. Landed great!

2014-08-16 00.40.03.jpg 2014-08-17 12.16.34.jpg 2014-08-17 17.30.50.jpg 2014-08-17 17.31.03.jpg

ScottLott, RobDavis and lethuye like this.
  10. lethuye

lethuye Airman

11. Nightware

Nightware Rookie

Maiden flight today. After reading everything here, looks like stiffeners are needed.
    I liked the launch handle, that worked very well for me.

The visibility near sunset was quite good, too. Roll was excellent, and pitch (using two rudders as elevator assist as well) was very crisp. Wish I'd thought to try out the rudders at low speed.

The departure angle was at full throttle - climbed like that until I chose to stop.

Attached Files:

F1wanabe, RobDavis and lethuye like this.
  12. lethuye

lethuye Airman

Nightware, those two pictures are the best in term of photography!

Lethuye

F1wanabe likes this.
  13. Nightware

Nightware Rookie

I dragged She Who Must Be Obeyed to the field with her phone....

Last week, conned encouraged her to try the trainer, on a buddy box.... think she liked it.

14. lethuye

lethuye Airman

Nightware, be careful with that buddy box! Before long, you are the one with the phone, taking pictures of her flying the RCP aircrafts!

All the best in teaching her to fly.
    Lethuye.

F1wanabe and RobDavis like this.
  15. captarmour

captarmour Airman

hope she doesnt read this

RobDavis likes this.
  16. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Is she the one wearing the pants?

:D

Haha sorry, after seeing the picture of you handlaunching the plane and then reading your comment, I just couldn't resist!

Got any more pics of the plane? It looks really great!

RobDavis likes this.
  17. Nightware

Nightware Rookie

hers was longer :) I was mosquito bait.

So, summary of the damage from what I presume was flutter - inboard of the inboard end of each elevon the main plate depron was cracked about 3/4 inch long from the rear, and again about half an inch further toward the centerline, on both sides. This seems to indicate the whole tail assembly made it to near a resonant frequency. I epoxied skewers to the vertical (ha!, it's an F117) stabilisers, and added a 5mm x 0.5mm carbon strip from near the point of the tail to near the outer edges of the wings, right through the middle of the two damaged sections, which attach the tail to the rest of the assembly.

Smoke test on the weekend, after I add a bit more weight in the nose, to allow me to move the battery a bit further back. Power seems to be abundant!

Airforce101 and RobDavis like this.
  18. captarmour

captarmour Airman

I'm looking for the 2nd video by rcp on the F117 V3.

19. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

As it was far too windy to fly this weekend, I decided to build the F-117 as my first RCP build. It was such an easy model to put together and it looks great. Looking forward to a break in the weather so that I can get the maiden flight done.

ScottLott likes this.
  20. bsymons

bsymons Cadet

If this is your first and you have the V-3 package then make sure you build the F-18 or the Mig. The 117 can be a bit tricky to fly and could be discouraging. I took my F-18 V3 out of mothballs this morning and it is still the best of "my" FCP fleet. Good luck with the 117.