F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. bsymons

bsymons Cadet

Greetings Gibby. May I ask - did you taper your trailing edges? I found this fixed my flutter on my F-18 and have been tapering all trailing edges since and have not experienced flutter again. I do love the treatment on the cockpit - it looks great. Also do you have any slop in your push rod linkages. If everything is reasonably snug this should help. The 117 is the toughest to fly of my Powers fleet and the only one to require repairs but it still looks great in the air. Burned out a motor on my Mig this morning but landed it perfectly with 0 damage. Love these planes :)

Airforce101 likes this.
  2. Markkall

Markkall Rookie

I built an F-117 out of fff and it flew great. The only problem I had was that at any speed over a quarter throttle the control surfaces would flap and flutter like crazy. How do I fix this?

3. vcereijo

vcereijo Airman

You and I both on this issue Dnnys. Out of my V3s this is the only plane I tear up on every flight. I think my issue is the rod flex. My whole bottom plate is made up of two 6mm layers so I dont think I have a wing surface issue. Its the control surfaces not responding under wind load. I consider myself to be the one to blame for my crashes, but this time... I just kick myself for tearing up my 117v2 to recycle the electronics for this v3.

4. phoenix_md

phoenix_md Airman

Finally some video of my F-117 v3.

5. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Ha! Perfect!

You should have seen my first F-117 launches (Back when it was V1). Great video, nice to see the transition into successful flight, you must have felt great at the end!

6. bsymons

bsymons Cadet

Greeting Mark. Check your hinges, and controls for any slop/play. Then insure that your trailing edges are all tapered - other than that I cannot offer any suggestions. Mine is still flying like it was born to it although it is a little trickier than the F-35 and a lot faster. Don't give up - it should not do that if everything is just right.

7. phoenix_md

phoenix_md Airman

Thanks Scott. Yeah this is the one I find hardest to fly and the scariest.

I guess because of the angular shape.

Still, it looks gorgeous and I enjoy the challenge.

8. rc30flyer

rc30flyer Rookie

Screen shot from Saturdays chase camera... Lead plane had just landed and I buzzed it at about 3ft off the deck. We were using the Mobius HD camera. If you zoom in a bit you can see the Skunkworks logo I airbrushed. This camera is Da Bomb! So is the F117! Enjoy! image.jpg

Airflow, ScottLott and Airforce101 like this.
  9. ACE404

ACE404 Rookie

Finally did my F-117 Maiden. It flew like a ROCKET!! Very scary stuff. I put in a generic off-brand radio (Topfire) and the flight was AWESOME!! One thing I DEFINITELY want to reccommend to new pilots is USE THE LOW SETTING IF YOUR RADIO HAS IT!! IF NOT, DONT USE IT!! This thing is super responsive. At just 1/4 throttle it still wanted to climb, even when I was trying to bring it down for COG adjustment!

As fate would have it, the tallest pine tree in the field reached out & grabbed my plane with the topmost branch. :( The tree won. My plane spent the rest of the weekend in that tree after 3 hours of trying to shake it loose. Im just waiting now on mother nature to blow it down and hopefully I can salvage the electronics. The motor broke loose, so I was able to recover THAT at least. More details to come...

ScottLott and Airforce101 like this.
  10. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Sorry to hear that, ACE404! I hope you will recover the plane soon.

11. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

What a cool shot, man talk about photo of the week!

rc30flyer likes this.
  12. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

I always made good friends with the kids that were always climbing trees for this reason.

Sorry to hear about this, hopefully you recover it soon!

13. ArendHintze

ArendHintze Rookie

Hi,

I just tried to maiden my f117 and I couldn't get it into the air. The entire plane was build with foam board which worked great for the f-35. I also watched the mods video and used two bottom layers to get the "stable build platform". In the end the plane was rather heavy and in order to trim it, I needed to glue about 80 pennies into the little compartment in the front which added to the weight of course. The plane didn't crash or anything it simply glided to the ground after a couple of feet with full throttle. My question is now if the weight indeed could have been the problem or if there is a bigger motor I should try? I used the recommended Turnigy 2826 2200KV. The build was a very simple to I wouldn't even mind a rebuild using only one layer on the bottom.

Any suggestions?

Cheers Arend

14. bsymons

bsymons Cadet

Get some depron. Build exactly to the plan. Balance with esc, rx, .and battery only and that plane will go like it's possessed . Never add weight if at all possible. Enjoy :)

Ps. Be VERY careful launching with the "launch handle".

15. erich_leopold

erich_leopold Rookie

F-117 EPP

Hi! - Does anyone have experience with building this great plane at least partially out of EPP? - I build almost all my planes out of EPP because it can stand really a lot of "special" landings ... and even trees jumping in front of me. I know EPP is not that stiff, but maybe someone here has some methods to building with Depron and EPP to get enough stiffness or any other good idea.

Thanks erich

16. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Google search "EPP Parkjet", they do exist! The first thing you'll notice is they look like kites made with carbon fiber tubes.

The gotcha is the carbon reinforcement. Instead of the foam providing the structural strength of the plane, you'll need tons of hot glue and carbon spars all through out the wing and body to get it strong enough to fly.

You normally end up with a heavier model that doesn't fly very well, kinda negating the whole anti-crash idea.

My suggestion: if you want to fly with EPP get a model that is designed to be built with EPP from the ground up.

Parkjets aren't very well suited for EPP; most guys will agree that it's better to build your parkjet out of cheap foamboard that builds/flies well and just be ready to make a new frame when you crash.

Deadsitck and lethuye like this.
  17. erich_leopold

erich_leopold Rookie

many thanks for that reply ... I ll definitly will try a Depron version.

Deadsitck likes this.
  18. Deadsitck

Deadsitck Cadet

+1 for electrics used for balancing, has anyone come up with the perfect placements for them using a 2200Mah? I always seem to have to add counterweight on the opposite leading edge

19. lethuye

lethuye Airman

Airforce 101,I had a successful F-117 V3 maiden flight today. Thanks to your suggestions about throttle setting and angle to launch (From now on, I'm going to use this method on all hand launches regardless of the aircraft type!) When I decided to build F-117 V3, I read all 37 pages of this Forum for guidance and tips. So I owed this success to Dave, ScottL (my vert stabs LE are like symmetry airfoil LE and almost no flutter at static full power test!) Airforce 101,RobDavis, F1, e3_Scott, Sgmoran, Tom Monton, gibby1117 (zip tie, all my 5 RCP aircrafts are all with zip tie skids because of necessity - no grass at my club field!) just to name a few!
    I used MPF throughout with Turnigy 2200kv motor with 6X3 prop, Orange Rc, Proton 40A ESC and 2200 mAh batt. RTF weight is 17.2 oz and Elevons only set up.
    As you can see from my pictures, I placed the batt. on right hand side to counter the initial torque roll during launch. (hardly any roll at all!) Check out the reinforcements on launch handle (experience from F-35 V3!) , motor mounts and zip tie mounts. You can also see small Velcro discs for my fingers to check the CG at the bottom side!
    I was so apprehensive about embarrassing myself in front of the people, I went early this morning to fly where not a single soul was around. (This remind me of one of the guys in this Forum mentioning his wife's remark about nobody will believe him about his successful flight! Ha, Ha!)
    Thanks again everybody, without your inputs, today's flight may not be possible!

Lethuye.

Attached Files:

20. Deadsitck

Deadsitck Cadet

The MPF must remove those extra 2 Oz I have on mine. You must upload a video.

Nice build!

lethuye likes this.