F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Charles, Am I an expert? Thanks! Haha. I got into the hobby with a Champ rtf that my wife bought me for our 1st anniversary. NIce gift! Best part is it bounces (!). After a few good crashes I had to replace the motor shaft but that was it. Never did use a simulator. After I stopped getting caught in trees, I bought a hawk sky and flew that for about 1 week, then built the f117v1, f117 v2 and f22 v1 and f22v2. I got into rcpowers right as the v2 planes came out. I did have the typical learning curve but I did that with the F22v1 and v2. I made extra noses so I could replace them quickly. My first tries with the f117's didn't go so well because it is so twitchy (It really responds quickly to input) so its really a plane that could turn someone off who is just getting into the hobby. I would definitely recommend the F35 v2 or v3 for score and fold planes. Much easier to fly smoothly than an f22 or mig. But the f35 v1 profile is a great starter plane because it takes only 2 or 3 hours to build and its easy to fix! Only 2 servos. Profile planes take a lot of stress out of flying. Really! Have you considered a profile plane? That would be a good one. Then, when yo fly the f117 you'll be able to enjoy it for the beautiful plane it is. Hope that helps!
    Greg

2. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Well, the winds were HORRIBLE yesterday at 20mph, but the need to fly was great. Got 2 flights on the 117 yesterday. The taping only seemed to cut the flutter in half, I've got some CG issues to sort out (plane is built very light, and 2200 battery is as far forward as I can get it, still a tad tail heavy), BUT the zip-tie landing gear was a great success!! Was really impressed with the taxiing capabilities too! Really gonna want to put more of this gear on my other planes.

RobDavis and F1wanabe like this.
  3. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

On my first few flights with the F-117 I had the same experience - what the heck way is it going? So I added some red to the top (as others did) and bottom. See pic. Last flight some kid said hay their's that flying triangle ....

Attached Files:

Airforce101, gibby1117 and F1wanabe like this.
  4. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

Both Greg and Airforce101 have provided good advise to Charles. I have been flying RC for about 5 years now mostly RTF. (I am also a licensed pilot with over 2,500 hrs in single engine land.) I really like the idea of building, what I fly and thus I found the RCP site, I have found the F-117 tricky, and I would NOT recommended it to a first time flyer. In fact, I was very frustrated with my first few attempts at flying the RCP F-117 a few weeks ago. Got some great advice from Scott, Greg and others and realized that due to the unending winter I had not flown RC in over three months. I got out my 1st RC trainer a high wing Super Cub, crashed in on the first toss. Minor repairs, then flew it threw the 4 batteries I had (over an hr of flight time). Then I pre-flighted my RCP F-117, mentally practiced my launch sequence and pattern flying. I was good to go. So I launched and had a perfect flight.

So, my advice is to keep your beautiful F-117 in the hanger a while longer. Find an easy to fly trainer - Greg had some good ideas. Also look on Craig's list. Get your confidence up with a trainer (The simulator is ok but this method will really build your confidence). You will learn, build your confidence and dramatically reduce your stress. Remember this is suppose to be fun. Good Luck! - DennyS

Airforce101 and F1wanabe like this.
  5. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

Vcereijo - It looks great. Do your push rods flex? I build mine similar to how your's (and the instructions) looks and they flexed so much they were ineffective. I had to redesign them to take out the sharp bends. - Best of luck - DennyS

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Dennys likes this.
  7. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Doesn't look like it gets much easier than that setup, Greg. Already has the z-bends too. I've dealt with some like that before. All great, until you're trying to remove those daggum things to put 'em on a different servo arm. lol. But I was very new when I was doing that.

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I know what you mean, Gibby, but its a snap now. I use the utility knife blade to pop it off!

9. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Beats the crap out of trying to use pliers! Haha! I might make the switch to these... after my Hobbytown Days are over. The employee discount on the Du-Bro 2-56 Quick Links makes them unbeatable.

F1wanabe likes this.
  10. vcereijo

vcereijo Airman

I've not done the maiden, but glad you bring this up as I was concerned with the amount of flex. I will look to redesign before taking it out. Thanks!

11. volodeam

volodeam Rookie

I have successfully built and fly the F18-v2, F18-v3, Mig29-v3, but I couldn’t fly the F117-v3. The plane I’ve built is totally uncontrollable, it would roll itself, turn upside down. Maybe someone experienced the same problem and can advise me what can be wrong with my plane.

12. philliplunsford

philliplunsford Airman

A number of problems could exist. The only way to solve problem is to isolate issues and check one at a time to eliminate. Start with CG. Make sure that you are right on or slightly forward of CG as indicated on plans. Second what type of foam did you use as well as motor setup? Reason--airframe could be twisting and control surfaces flitting. Bench test first. Crazy as it sounds make sure that the controls move on the correct direction.

13. volodeam

volodeam Rookie

I've used 6mm depron foam, and a 2200kw turnigy motor. What I've noticed, as the airframe consist only of one layer of foam, the wings got a little bit twisted at the back after I glued the top elements. Now I’m thinking to enforce the wings with carbon tubes.

14. philliplunsford

philliplunsford Airman

That twist could cause the problem. Remember the Wright brothers. Their wings twisted--no control surfaces and if it twists in flight it will roll

15. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

Volodeam - I had similar problem two issues that I had to correct to get it to fly.

Strengthen the tail - I found that when power is applied the tail would flex and thus vector down. I glued some light weight fiberglass (drywall tape) to strength the area between the wing and tail.

Control rod flex - I built per the plan and found that due to the bends in the control rods they would flex a lot - and I think made them ineffective when under power. To check, hold your servo horn so the servo cannot move, then move your elevons. I could fully cycle my elevons and the control rod would just flex. The best fix is as F1 said in an earlier post is to use theDu-Bro 30" Micro2 Pushrod System : http://www.headsuphobby.com/Du-Bro-30-Micro2-Pushrod-System-Cat-922-E-100.htm

These fixes got me flying, but unfortunately my F-117 looks like crap now as I crashed it so many times as I was trying to figure it out. but it still looks cool from a distance. Will rebuild with these after my next fatal crash.

Good luck I hope this helps.

Airforce101 likes this.
  16. ACE404

ACE404 Rookie

Finished my F-117 V3 and I cant wait til the maiden! Havent got the electronics yet but I'll be visiting Grayson next weekend to get everything ready to go. After the F-35 I just built about 3 days ago, I couldnt wait to get started on this build because from the plans it looked really easy. I learned some valuable lessons from building the F-35 v2 that I was able to successfully apply to the F-117:

1. I knew I had some cans of Krylon spray paint around the house that I was going to want to use to get the looks I wanted. From reading the forums, I read how regular spray paint eats the foam. So I had a can of clear gloss from Home Depot and coated the exposed edges with it. I used a scrap piece of foam to test the protection. I also sprayed a bare exposed edge of that same scrap piece with the Krylon. After about 10-15 minutes of drying, I saw that the edges I treated with the gloss was still intact and the unprotected edge was chewed up pretty bad. So I got my modeling paintbrush & proceeded to paint the clear gloss over all the exposed edges of the F-35. Once the gloss dried, I got my metallic gray spray paint & lightly sprayed the plane. I waited a few minutes before I went any further to see any weird side effects. I noticed the surface of the wings and body had begun to develop wrinkles Apparently the paint chemicals were penetrating the paper and affecting the foam underneath!! So I stopped what I was doing & coated the rest of the plane surfaces with the clear gloss. Afterwards, THEN I finished spraying the plane. The damage was minor and the coolest thing about it was the combination of gloss & paint formed a nice hard shell over the plane without adding a lot of weight! Right now the F-35 is at 12 ounces without electronics. Im going to try elevons only for the maiden & depending on how it flies, I may add ailerons & rudder.

2. USE GLUE SPARINGLY!! Especially using hot glue which is 10% heavier from what I read. I COMPLETELY glued ALL the seams of the F-35 and an unusual amount in the nose to get all the points to meet properly (my plane had a mouth at first). When gluing the F-117, I only glued the critical joints & seams. Pretty much a tack weld if you want to call it that. I ran threaded tape along the length of the wing, then coated the entire plane with the clear gloss. After the coat dried & hardened, I was able to spray mist black gloss over the plane with NO deformation of ANY parts! I got a sheet of aluminum foil and cut out the cockpit windows and set the plane out in the sun so eveything could cure & harden. Finally, I weighed the plane & it weighed in at a minute 6 ounces!! I was thoroughly proud of myself!!

My next build will be the F-22 and I look forward to puting an artistic touch to it! Here are the pics of my first 2 RCP builds!! I cleaned the Dollar Store out of their foam boards (about 15 sheets), so I'll probably be doing multiple versions of all the plans!!

Attached Files:

vcereijo likes this.
  17. sorabh

sorabh Rookie

where to get plans??

18. ACE404

ACE404 Rookie

You buy the package on the main page. Its 5 jets in the package. You should get it. Lots of fun to build!

19. sjzrifdsa

sjzrifdsa Rookie

beautiful pictures!

20. volodeam

volodeam Rookie

I enforcet the wings with carbon tube and it flew quite nice today.
    Thanks to all for help.

chris_tall likes this.