F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Thanks guys. Greg, I ended up making the video tails switchable and another switch to use em solely as airbrakes.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

F1wanabe likes this.
  2. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Flew the maiden this morning. Flew alright. If I went over half throttle, I'd get MEAN wingtip flutter. Not control surface, just the whole daggum wingtip :/
    Built it to spec, and added some reinforcements for the tail section. Although I couldn't fly it over half throttle, it did look GREAT in the air!!

3. charles52

charles52 Cadet

I just finished setting up my electronics and the F117v3, SMJv2, 30 amp esc, Is a 1800 battery to big?

4. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

1800 is DEFINITELY not too big. Just flew mine this morning with a 2200 - anything smaller and I wouldn't have been able to balance right on the CG.

5. charles52

charles52 Cadet

Thanks much Gibby1117. When launching do you have any idea of approx angle and how much throttle?

6. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Hey Gibby,
    So happy to hear about your successful flight!

The wingtip flutter normally comes from a flat leading edge, sand down the leading edge so it's at least rounded and the flutter should be way less of a problem.

RobDavis, F1wanabe and gibby1117 like this.
  7. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Cool. That's gonna suck since I've already painted, but I'll go ahead and do the fiberglass tape and foam tac reinforcement when I make the changes :) Thanks, Scott!

And Charles, I'll admit, I was too scared of the prop to do use the concealed launch handle. I pretty much grabbed it near the apex over the cockpit, palming it like a basketball, and tossed it at about a 40 degree angle with throttle at about 3/4 throttle.

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

9. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Alright. Maybe next time I'll give it a shot :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  10. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Also, this is the absolutely MOST DIFFICULT plane to keep orientation while flying!! Haha! I mean, I know it's all black, but still, I've got to put some stripes on here or something. The slightest turn more than 40 yards away and I can't tell what's going on any more.
    Still... this plane looks spectacular in the air :)

RobDavis likes this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

RobDavis and ScottLott like this.
  12. charles52

charles52 Cadet

F1wanabe,
    I have a question for the experts. I am about to maiden my first RCP F117V3. I have spent the last 2 months about 1/2 hour a day on a Sim. Last Monday I tried a motor glider I built for my first time flight. I broke 2 props, fixed it once and destroyed most of it on the second try. I thought a glider should be a little easier for a first time compares to the F117. So, it is now apparent to me that there is three stages. one stage is building, second stage launching and getting it dialed in, and third actually flying. Now I am interested to find out from the best fliers how they started out. Did you start out flying scratch built jets or did you start with a beginner RTF. I would so love to get one of these in the air. The idea that I could build something that flies has gone from hobby to passion and it did not take long. I am now a bit afraid of trying the F117. Thanks in advance, Charles52

13. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

I'm not Greg (F1), but here's my experience:

During 2 months of building and preparing (and waiting for parts to come in), I clocked at least 60 hours on the sim (using my actual radio, not something irrepresentable like a keyboard) and then handlaunched my first ever rc plane, the F22 V2.

It took me several attempts (read: 10+, and the repairs that came with them) to get the sweet-spot for the amount of throttle to apply, the angle and 'force' to toss the plane in the air. (too much throttle = torque roll, too little throttle = it won't go far, too steep an angle = it will stall straight away). In the end, I was flying the plane and I was extatic! Of course, I crashed it a couple of times afterwards, but that's all in the game and part of learning.

From when I actually got the plane in the air successfully, I was able to trim it out and fly circles and 8-shaped patterns right from the start, all by myself. Orientation and mind-muscle connection was no problem for me, which I account to the hours spent on the simulator.

I now use the following method to get a reference for how much throttle to apply for a first-ever hand-launch of a new plane:

I hold the plane upright by it's nose/canopy/turtledeck/wing (whatever suits the type of plane, and gets you a good grip on it so it won't go anywhere) and gently apply and increase throttle up to the point where it feels like the plane is 'weightless' or even like it would gently(!) climb up *if* I were to let it go. Then, I look at my throttle stick and memorize its position, and throttle down.

Then I hold the plane in whatever way is suitable for handlaunching it, apply that very same amount of throttle and gently toss it into the air at about a 30-40 degree angle (for my park jets). To get you a ball-park estimate of the amount of force I toss it at, I estimate that the plane would land 10ft away from me in case I didn't apply the throttle.

Once the plane is in the air, I gradually (!) increase the throttle to climb to a safe altitude and usually apply some up-elevator to get the nose up.

Hope this helps!

14. charles52

charles52 Cadet

Yes that is encouraging. The idea of flying 10 feet before destroying an aircraft is a little difficult to swallow. I used my fly sky T6 on the simulator and feel if I could just get control after launch I could fly it. I will try your suggestion. Thanks a bunch Airforce 101, Charles52

15. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

Airforce101's method will get you in the air about as easy as it gets. Any angle but straight up will gain airspeed without over torquing the airframe. But when a plane (and pilot) gets dialed in it gets fun! Now I can stand the F22 V2 on its elevons, allow it to start to fall away and pop the throttle and its flying. Now back to your regularly scheduled program of the F117 V3.o_O

Airforce101 likes this.
  16. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

The 10 feet would be in case the plane wouldn't have the motor's thrust pushing it forward, and the wings lifting it up: just image tossing a football of your plane's weight 10ft, that's what I mean.

17. vcereijo

vcereijo Airman

Finished this one last weekend, no maiden yet. Its elevons only, no rudders with a mjv2 supersonic and a 2200 mah. AIW is at 20oz even. I did put in a second layer of foam on the bottom for strength; a lesson from the v2.
    20140411_230703.jpg

RobDavis, Airforce101 and ScottLott like this.
  18. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

She's a looker, nice build!

vcereijo likes this.
  19. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Got the drywall tape / foam tac reinforcements on the wings to quell the flutter at the tips, added the stripes for orientation, and am trying out this zip tie landing gear. Looking forward to getting her in the air again after all these changes :) Only 2 flights on it prior to changes.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

RobDavis and F1wanabe like this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I'm curious to see how the zip ties work, Gibby. those stripes should do the trick!