F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

2. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

4. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

I'll have to recheck that, but as I recall alignment looked good. It literately like throwing a rock, thrust, but no control. I am going to have to check everything. Elevons have a lot of deflection and are going the right way ... I am stumped. It's the first time I am using an Orange receiver. Will try another range check, but it hasn't got more than 10 -15 feet away from launch to crash.

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh, did you do a control check to make sure elevons are moving correctly? Ask JettManDan and Fed5OH about that. The first fly in I went to with them they made me feel like a noob when I had them reversed! Later I found out that before I got there "others" had the same problem! Haha!

6. rc30flyer

rc30flyer Rookie

Yeah, stick is epoxied to ply... Ply is epoxied to foam. I poked little holes in the foam to help the epoxy bite when I glued down the ply plate. Fully charged the batts and did a run up test today. Man that motor is fuggin loud! Should be a blast to fly. CG is dead nutz at the plans 17.5 inches from nose tip. Hopefully there are no launch issues... :eek:

F1wanabe likes this.
  7. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

If you could get some video that would be a HUGE help.

Since you've got plenty of thrust and the plane still isn't working, it's gotta be a control surface or CG issue. Assuming you've set the CG right, we'll go to the control surfaces.

It sounds like the tail might be flexing at high power settings. Strap the plane to a table and push it to full throttle for 10 seconds or so. Watch the tail behind the prop, if it flexes more than a mm in any way there's your problem.

Also, make sure the body doesn't have any twists in it and the vertical stabs are glued on straight.

Hope that helps!

8. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

Hi Scott - You were correct id did see moderate flexing of the tail at full power. I strengthened the system last night and tried again this morning. Success ... It just flew away on launch like in the video. Thanks for your help. Only had time for a few passes prior to work and am looking forward to my next flight.

Thanks again for your help!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. rc30flyer

rc30flyer Rookie

So, the maiden went ok... was a little disappointed with the flutter issue. Left wing broke in flight. Repaired it and reinforced the wing with carbon strip and am trying a different pushrod setup to try and alleviate the elevon flutter. On a better note, the wifey bought me a compressor and airbrush! So after the repairs I painted my first freehand graphic. Couldn't decide what to paint in the F-117 so I just decided to try and paint the Lockheed/Martin Skunkworks logo. This seriously is my first time using a double action airbrush, I think it turned out pretty sweet! Now let's hope the flutter issue is solved...

Attached Files:

RobDavis, MrInverted and F1wanabe like this.
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

11. rc30flyer

rc30flyer Rookie

Probably in the elevon. .. I reinforced wing with carbon strip vertically and redid the pushrods so they only have one bend in them instead of two.

F1wanabe likes this.
  12. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

I had to redo my pushrods and reinforce the tail plate on the F-117 as well. I had multiple large bends similar to the pic in the instructions. They flexed so much they were ineffective. Then I strengthening the tail plate so it did not flex when adding power. My plane now flys great but looks like crap as it took quite a few hard hits as I worked the issue. Lessons learned for the rebuild down the road. Building

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Glad you got that straightened out, Dennys! Don't worry about the looks, its a stealth! How do you like the way it flies?

Airforce101 likes this.
  14. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

Yeah: it cannot be seen anyway... :D

15. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Love the two tone paint job, so happy to hear about your successful flights!

16. Dennys

Dennys Ace Pilot

It fly's a little tricky, I have to stay on top of it - perhaps because I have a lot of repairs. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner to RC. But it sure looks cool in flight, will rebuild after I get my next project completed (F-18 V3).

RobDavis, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Good choice Dennys, F-18 V3 a wonderful aircraft to fly!

18. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Quickest RC Powers build for me yet. 10 hrs from first cut to finished paint. AUW is 471g. 90% foam tac.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah very nice Gibby
    What a look!