F-117 V3: The “Best Looking”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jun 10, 2013.

1. “The New F-117 V3 Does It All. And Looks Darn Good Doing It.”

“Had alot of people stop to watch it”
    Took about two hours build. Flew it for about an hour.... Dave your design rocks!!! On the maiden flight, I never had to adjust anything. Through it up and flew it. I did not want to stop flying it. After about an hour of flying, this plane sure had alot of people slow down and/or stop to watch it. Somebody actually got out of their vehicle to hold it. Very nice work, Dave!!!
    By mccalljc | September 6, 2013 | Full review here

POWER SYSTEM
    Motor:
    ESC:
    Prop:
    Battery:
    Servos:
    Radio:
    2200kv, 30A max
    30A
    6x4 APC
    11.1v, 1600mAh, 20C
    2-6 metal gear
    2.4 GHz 6CH
    SPECIFICATION
    Scale:
    Length:
    Wing Span:
    Wing Area:
    Weight:
    Channels:
    1/20
    39.8” (101 cm)
    25.6” (65 cm)
    3 sq ft (0.28 sq m)
    16-26 oz (450 - 740 g)
    3-6

Get Started Building

Adan, Shooter1, Carluchi15 and 9 others like this.
  2. “I giggle every time it lands”
    Man I love this plane. had a blast doing laps around the soccer field today. I still kinda giggle every time it lands just as smooth as silk. that never get old!!
    By tjrecon | September 10, 2013 | Full review here

“The most eye catching”
    By far the most eye catching of the models....F117 was what brought me to the RC Powers in the first place. Dave and Scott's dedication and communication on the forums, and the environment of help/knowledge from everyone else is what keeps me here. Great job guys.
    By FED50H | July 16, 2013 | Full review here

This is a great maiden flight from F1wanabe!

Dam, ashamido, Flybyknight22 and 3 others like this.
  3. HSV_Freak

HSV_Freak Cadet

Plan are printed. Glouing and cutting comes tomorrow its to late for me.

emanuel46 likes this.
  4. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

looks sooo nice! I haven't built a F-117 yet..but i may have to now...

5. captarmour

captarmour Airman

I am overwhelmed, these planes are just simply fantastic!!

Quick question regarding the vertical stabilizers. Are they 'toed out'? I cant tell for sure but they look so.

'Toe Out' means the stabilizer's Leading edge is farther out than it's Trailing Edge. 'Toe out' of a V Tail stabilizer allows the airflow to hit more of the topside(makes the topside windward) and creates a nose up trim that acts as 'decalage' needed for a forward CG, allowing the elevons to remain more inline with the wing and increase lift as well as reduce drag!

6. captarmour

captarmour Airman

An easier option could be to split and rejoin the rudders so that the upper part out of the prop wash are turned inward(nose up) slightly. That way the amount of 'decalage' effect will not vary with power setting.

7. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

If you could, send me a screenshot of your print settings and take some pictures of the pages as they are printed. Then shoot me an e-mail: [email protected] We'll get it sorted out for you. :)

8. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

There is no "toe out" built into the stabilizers, they are meant to be mounted straight.

We wouldn't toe out the v-tails on this one because of the thrust vectoring. Anything behind the prop should be straight and level unless a servo is moving it.

captarmour likes this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

uploadfromtaptalk1373947566548.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373947581653.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373947599509.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373947613633.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373947641796.jpg
    4 hrs flat. The build was super easy, and even though my garage/work shop was about 94 degrees, I kept my wits and everything fell into place. Pictures 13,14, 15 I think? in the instructions confused me so I checked the assembly blow up and it was clear. No vtails for now. I used MPF for the first time, with foam tac, and I am impressed. However, I would recommend cf reinforcement of the tail section for anything other than depron as you may see in pics, I reinforced with 3m extreme tape. 19 oz with mjv3 and 1600 3s. Plenty of power. I used the mjv3 with the v2 and was happy. This should be just fine thrust wise, and the flight time will be excellent. Motor mount area is nice and sturdy. Anyone familiar with the fuselage flex on the v2? No more on the v3! Maiden tomorrow, then paint.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

Dam, Shooter1, sjzrifdsa and 9 others like this.
  10. phoenix_md

phoenix_md Airman

Wow Greg! You are a machine!

Yeah I was looking at the instructions myself and they look incorrect. The following steps look wrong:
    Step 14 - 15 and Steps 19 - 22
    They don't match up to the actual parts on the Untiled Assembly.

11. phoenix_md

phoenix_md Airman

Also the plan view says you need 6 servos when it should say you need 4.

Sent from my GT-I9500

12. HSV_Freak

HSV_Freak Cadet

Yes the instruction is a little diffrent to the Buildplan. I see that tjhe Video have the same version with the two holes in the backside.

13. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Wow that was fast!

You caught that huh, the build steps in the middle.
    Enjoy those while they last, that was actually a prototype that ended up being cut at the last few weeks. It had this sweet hand-grip that doubled as super air intakes but the problem was you just couldn't get the battery up far enough.... so we changed it to what you have no and were very happy we did. You can kind of see it in the video shots if you look close too.

Anyway, updating those steps is on the list, don't worry.

And again, great build and so fast!

14. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

By far the most eye catching of the models....F117 was what brought me to the RC Powers in the first place. Dave and Scott's dedication and communication on the forums, and the environment of help/knowledge from everyone else is what keeps me here. Great job guys.

15. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

Same here. Nice plane guys.

DavePowers likes this.
  16. JettaManDan

figures greg would try to out hustle me on the 1st build lol! nice dude..hope it makes it down with you....

RCJohnnyB and FatherAndSons like this.
  17. dsoleil

dsoleil Ace Pilot

I'm having some trouble viewing the video. It's good for the first minute or so and then it keeps stopping on its own. Stops in the same place on my iMac desktop and on my phone. Not sure if this is user error, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's a bug.

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Dan, when I downloaded the v2 I received a nice email room Scott saying that I was the first to download, and I made it my mission to be the first to fly. Just wanted to carry on the f117 tradition! I built 3 of them so this went together very easily. This whole plane, Btw, was cut from one sheet of MPF. I cut a piece out, then squished the remaining pieces closer together to minimize waste. Depron sheets are a few square inches less than MPF, so it may not apply for depron. Lipos are charging....

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

DavePowers likes this.
  19. JettaManDan

yep..knew it...due to a real job ;) i can't fly till this afternoon.....as leat mine is prettier than your white wonder!! lol! hahaha

no... j/k sweet dude..at least i built mine in the a/c lol

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, Dan, I think I'm still dehydrated! I'll have to move my shop into the cool basement!

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies