Experiences with YEP ESCs from Hobby King?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Sep 13, 2018.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Started this thread to get some feedback on YEP ESCs from Hobby King and your experiences with them. They are not inexpensive compared to other brands, the 40A ESC https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-40a-2-6s-sbec-brushless-speed-controller.html is currently $26.14 USD, but looking at a file someone uploaded that I guess is a copy of the manual, they seem to have a wide range of features that can be customized especially timing and PWM (pulse width modulation). I found being able to change this settings was useful to optimize power system performance when I was testing quad motors in park jets. Based on 49 reviews, this YEP 40A ESC has received an average of almost five stars.

Unfortunately, the Turnigy AE-45A ESC that was about $5 cheaper than this one and a very adjustable and versatile ESC for the price has been discontinued :(. I used this a lot when testing quad racing motors and found it to be an excellent performer and a great value ESC. Not that I am in dire need of an ESC, but was wondering if it would be worth my while to pick one up over the winter to evaluate.

Just glancing through the Hobby King website, the YEP ESCs come in a pretty wide range of sizes including 18, 30, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150 and a whopping 180A which is supposed to be able to handle up to 14S (although the price tag is also whopping at $238.03) For the most part they are rated between 4 and 5 stars across all the sizes, but I was hoping to get some more feedback if folks here might have used them in a park jet or other plane and what their experiences have been.

I thank you in advance for any feedback you may be able to provide :)

Cheers,

Scott

bimoadiprakoso and JTiger like this.
  2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

An update, I have decided to pick up one of these ESCs to evaluate, I will be reporting my impressions and results on the Quad motor test thread here https://rcpowers.com/community/thre...in-single-motor-prop-in-slot-park-jets.22460/.

I have also ordered the Programming card to go with this ESC https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-esc-programming-card.html as hopefully that will make changing settings a little more straight forward and may also allow for more fine tuning that just programming with the transmitter alone.:)

Cheers,

Scott

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Scott.

Have one here and it seems to be doing its job pretty good. I didn't test all my ESCs like to did with yours, but seems like it's comparable to the turnigy platinum.

I'm now trying another brand of 40A ESC (HTIRC) that is also capable of taking 6S batt. Price is good and performing well on the F-15 Silent Eagle G2R.

Eager to know of what information you could deeply dig from the YEP. Personally, I love it.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.