Charge adaptor board.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Combatevolved, May 10, 2018.

1. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

Trying out a charge adaptor board. After all the horror stories of lipos exploding and catching fire I've been reluctant to use it. But after discharging all cells to storage voltage and charging slowly it has worked out great and saves loads of time. 20180510_184440.jpg

Probably update this post with a sheet I've burned my house down eek.

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  2. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I've been tempted to try one of these. My charger will do up to six 6S batteries two at a time but it would be quite handy when I've had a large session to bundle a load of batteries up and let them all go at once.

Might need to read up a bit more and see what I can gather up info wise...

Wildthing and Combatevolved like this.
  3. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

I've researched this and providing the batteries are the same type, starting voltage, capacity and have similar numbers of charge discharge cycles and the cells are charged at 1c or less for the battery array it should be safe. Apparently it is best to charge or discharge to storage voltage if possible. I would think 3.7 plus or minus 0.1 volt wouldn't be too problematic if balancing isn't preferred. No house fires just yet.

Dave748, Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  4. thunder

thunder Top Gun

I have 2 of those charge boards and I have charged 12 batteries in one go with 2 chargers with great success,i call them parallel charge boards but I must say that I was not impressed with the discharge speed but that is down to the charger and not the boards. After doing a lot of research regarding the fastest way to discharge lipos I decided to buy one of these,it is the ISDT FD-100 lipo discharger,you tube vids show very quick discharge and a very good product. PS I have been using my parallel charge boards for over 3 years now and cannot fault them,,just please don't leave them charging unattended,,cheers

Attached Files:

5. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

Awesome. If used correctly these balance charging plates are very safe to use. I've got 4x2s tiddlers charging as we speak. Using 2a between 4 batteries so it's a slow charge effectively. 20180510_234629.jpg

Sterling101 and thunder like this.
  6. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Nice,and looks very cool lol I have had 6 6s 4000 lipos all charging at the same time,,that might explain why I have got a few grey hairs ha

EricR, Sterling101 and Combatevolved like this.
  7. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

6x6s lol that sounds great that would be a super cool photo to upload.

Sterling101 likes this.
  8. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Ha sorry but it is midnight in the UK,,,no charging at mo lol

Sterling101 likes this.
  9. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I've got four 4s 3000's charging over night... In a Batt Safe, on the concrete floor of the brick shed that's detached from the house :D

Combatevolved likes this.
  10. thunder

thunder Top Gun

LOL that made me laugh,,,batt safe,concrete floor,brick shed,detached from house,i am the exact opposite,wooden table,next to curtains,front room,,kinda reminds me of Laurel & Hardy

11. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

I charge my batteries in a charcoal grill that I dedicated specifically for battery charging. I built a platform that attaches to the front of the grill for the Chargers and power supplies to sit on. The wires fit through holes in the end of the grill ... the parallel charging boards and batteries sit underneath the grate inside the grill.. And I put bags of sand on top of the grate in case one of the batteries might combust, the plastic bag will melt quickly and the sand will pour down upon the battery and at least squelch the flames and maybe not spread to other batteries. Has worked pretty well for me so far.

You can see the parallel charging boards in there. I have 2 chargers and can charge about 24 batteries in an hour

I still monitor the batteries closely as charging a decent number at one time could cause a chain reaction and raging inferno if they all went up. I periodically pull the sand bags off and check for any puffing or heated batteries. If a fire started I would not open the grill as a huge gas/fire ball would roll out... unplug electrical power strip, and only use a chemical fire extinguisher in the vent hole. I fully expect all components/batteries to be a total loss inside the grill but it would contain the flames.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  12. How many amps are you pumping with your chargers to do that many so quick. My charger does 4 at a time and unless I am in a rush I set it at 1.5A .

Combatevolved and Sterling101 like this.
  13. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

That's a serious setup there. Pretty hard-core actually. What do you fly?

Sterling101 likes this.
  14. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

All the batteries of the same cell count (6 at a time per parallel board) act as one big battery as far as amps are concerned. So you add up the Mah for all the batteries and that is how you calculate what to set your charging amps for. For example, when I am charging 6, 2200 mAh batteries, the total mAhs is now 13,200mah or (13.2a). So if I want to charge my batteries at a reasonable 1C, I enter the charging amperage at 13.2a. (1C being the amp rating of the battery... 2200mah battery = 2.2 amps so 1C = 2.2amps) my smaller charger will only charge up to 6 amps per port so I typically only charge 3, 2200 mAh batteries at a time. (2200mah x 3 = 6,600mah or 6.6 amps possible battery capacity but the charger will only charge at 6.0 amps, so it might charge those three slightly slower but the difference of .6 amps is not that noticeable. I could charge all six, 2200 Mah batteries at a time but will only be putting in 6 amps and it would take noticeably longer than if I use my larger amp charger and charge at the 1C rating for the batteries.

My two Chargers have different capacities for charging on each port. My one charger, has two ports that can charge up to 30 amps each port. My other charger, has four ports can only charge 6 amps on each port. One must have adequate power supply units to be able to power the Chargers. I was able to purchase two identical power supplies from a man who was rescuing them from large computers servers (you can see them in the one picture in the above post). (until his supply dried up) They have a very high amperage ability. Someone charging these higher amperages would need a good power supply and good Chargers that can handle the load.

The other day, I charged six, 6 cell, 4400mah batteries in an hour on the charger that has capacity for 30 amps/port. The batteries that I have are Thunder Power and can be charged at higher rates than 1C but I still set my charging rate at 1C to be a little more gentle on the batteries.... ( all 6 batteries act as one big battery AS FAR AS AMPS ARE CONCERNED while voltage stays at 22.2V
    since hooked in parallel so 1C = 26,400mah = 26.4 amps) so I charged at 26.4 amps.

This can all seem pretty intimidating at first but if people are able to do their homework it becomes a great benefit. if I want to fly for half a day and need plenty of batteries, I can charge them all the night before with a couple hours time.

great internet resources to exlain more fully like : https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/parallel-lipo-charging.html

anyone can chime in if i forgot something or misrepresented anything

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  15. Good info. Not even sure what or how high of amps my charger will put out but that's easy enough to check. But using your math and for good battery health max amps to charge with is related to the size? 1800mah 1.8A, 2200mah 2.2A and so on? Less of course is slower but easier on the batteries.

Sterling101 likes this.
  16. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

Main planes I fly and more in the basement :) Red and black wing is a Mini Drak from Ritewing... great flyer, FPV with UHF radio system and 1.3Gh video (I have my Ham radio license to be able to fly FPV legally)

20180511_100330.jpg 20180511_100322.jpg 20180511_100313.jpg 20180511_100819.jpg

17. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

Yes, amps TOTAL, when charging in parallel determines your charger setting... in the article I linked, the man indicated that one can charge batteries of different mAh sizes as long as the cell counts are identical .... so for example, four , 4-cell batteries with say 2 of them as 1800mah, one at 2200mah, and one at 3300mah. TOTAL mah = 9100mah so 9.1amps. so to charge at 1C rate (which is recommended for many batteries) set balance charging setting for 9.1 amps. (or as close to 9.1 as possible- over or under)

"Balance charging" setting is a must!

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  18. Mine has fast charge, regular charge and balanced charge and in each I can adjust the amps.

Sterling101 likes this.
  19. chris_tall

chris_tall Top Gun

Well as long as we're on the subject of chargers and parallel charging...
    I recently built a new charger.

It is based on the new Revolectrix Dual PL6 Touch with Bump technology.

The parallel boards are from Buddy RC
    http://www.buddyrc.com/charging-systems/paraboard-parallel-charge-board/paraboard-v3.html

I have an AC power Supply that is from an HP server.
    It can do about 60amps on 120Vac

I machined the deck myself too.
    And yes, there's LED lighting inside!

I've only had it done for a couple weeks and I'm in love already!

IMG_6597.JPG IMG_6598.JPG IMG_6599.JPG IMG_6611.JPG IMG_6614.JPG IMG_6615.JPG IMG_6616.JPG

20. Pretty slick. :)

chris_tall and Sterling101 like this.