Build help needed

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by breaker1crazy, May 16, 2013.

1. breaker1crazy

breaker1crazy Cadet

I've just had some problems building my last couple of planes, I've built 4 planes in the past 3 months and only gotten 4 actual flights from them. I built the f-35v2 (rcpowers), SU-37 (parkjets), piper cub (my own design), and the f-4 phantom (parkjets). I built the f-35v2 with 5-min epoxy but do to the cost of it i built the others with hot glue (i went easy on the glue because of weight). The SU-37 was the only one that i had more than a 10 second flight on, however it crashed on the 4th flight because of wind. I'm just trying to guess why my other planes didn't work, none of them (well the f-35v2 was close) were even close to being to heavy to fly. My powerplant is the Megajet v2 with a 50amp esc, a 1600mah 45c continues 90c burst 3 cell battery. I have 4 plastic 9g servos and 2 hg-55 mg servos.
    I know you guys can't say anything specific without being able to look at the plane but any ideas on what to check would help. As far as i can tell they're not heavy, in fact most of them had a greater than 1:1 power ratio, they were all extremely sturdy with carbon fiber and multiple layers of foam to decrease flex, all had a kf2 airfoil. Edges beveled. If you guys have any ideas, both how to fix the problem or on a good, simple, easy to build plane.

2. best thing i can tell you is double check your center of gravity as well as if your prop is on correctly. numbers facing the direction of flight or always towards the front of the plane. but can you tells us more like what they were doin before crashing. like did it feel like it had enough thrust, or was it really twitchy or are you having a hard time launching your plane????

3. breaker1crazy

breaker1crazy Cadet

the SU-37 flew fine until i flew in the wind with no rudder and just lost it, the Piper cub veered right when i launched it even with full left aileron and rudder (I've hand launched other planes with no problem so i'm assuming its the plane), then the f-4 did a VERY sharp nose dive. I checked the motor mount on the f-4 and the motor was angled fine.

4. how about some back ground on your flying experience. Sorry so many questions but I'm trying to figure out where things went wrong without actually seeing the flights

5. breaker1crazy

breaker1crazy Cadet

no problem with questions, i've done hundreds of hours on a simulator. My first plane was the hawk sky and i had no problem flying/launching it. Had about 50 flights and about half that many crashes, other than that only about a dozen flights on any planes i've built.

6. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

Just a complete guess but it sounds like a bad TX/Rx or stripped servos? Run the servos full range under a load and do a range check on your Rx?

7. breaker1crazy

breaker1crazy Cadet

the radio is fine and same with the servos, range is about a half mile which is good because i'm using the cheap radio that came with the hawk sky

8. Maestro

Maestro Ace Pilot

I do not know the other planes but I know the F-35 which if build and setup proper should be easy to fly.

Please take some pictures of the plane.

Like asked above, is the prop mounted correct? The numbers should be facing the flight direction.

what setup did you specifically use on this F-35.

What went wrong flying the F-35?

You say flying in wind with no rudder you lost it...

My advice.. Do not fly these light parkjets jn wind if you can not keep it in the air with no wind, so start with flying only with no wind.
    Work on 1 plane for instance the f-35 and get that right.
    The F-35 is a really great and stable platform to start with, backup by this forum you should have no problem getting it to fly.

And take photos!! Take video!!! We can help you way better with these then just you're 30 words in a post!!!