B-58 Hustler Park Bomber. Designed by Bimo Adi Prakoso

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Flybyknight22, Mar 20, 2016.

1. oh yeah, on 4S too. ;)

bimoadiprakoso and Flybyknight22 like this.
  2. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

This 6-blade really does kind of act a little bit like an EDF without the shroud.

It's supposed to be an FPV racing quad prop.

Here is what manufacturer says about the prop:

"HQ Prop's first Hex-Blade (6 Blade) FPV Racing Propeller. Maximum thrust and ultimate control, this is a must have when it comes to innovative prop design."

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Ok Homey!

High winds or not its time to fly or die the baby bomber!

:p

5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

About time:)

6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

This is going to be ugly!

homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  7. Just make it exciting. ;)

Flybyknight22, FlyteTime and homey666 like this.
  8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Try to be careful:)

9. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Finally took the mini-Hustler out for a test flight.

Used the standard Turnigy 2200kv motor with the 6-blade hex prop, 700mah 3S, 30a esc, elevons and rudder control surfaces.

The plane had lots of thrust and left my hand quickly.
    It twisted up and then crashed breaking the stabilizer but should be easy to repair. I will post up the crash video.

This is what I discovered.
    The little plane has a small wing area and appears to have little to no lift.

There is tremendous torque roll with all props tested.
    After repair I will remove the nacelles and try a 4 inch prop to see if I can get rid of some of this torque roll.

I am moving to the 150% build now as that plane should have much more lift and Bimo designed the nacelles to be more streamlined. The larger plane should have a much better chance to fly.

I will post up the flight test video so you can see what it did after takeoff.

Full 150% size B-58 Hustler build should do better.
    Hopefully we shall soon see.

10. That sucks.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

That’s ok Wild,

Here is the slow motion video of the flight. Look it over close if you don’t mind. I would appreciate your observations.

I didn’t notice it until after I watched the flight video but the dang prop is turning the wrong way! UGH!

When I let go she went up twisting all the way. I couldn’t control it obviously because of the spinning immediately on launch.

There is still way too much torque roll Jeff but it should have been in the other direction. When I did the hover tests it was going the correct way but I did something to change it.

I think what I will try next is some of these 4 inch props and maybe even drop down to a lighter 2-cell battery in an attempt to cut down on the torque roll and weight.

I will also throw some initial right aileron differential in to help counter some of the torque on launch like I did in my Hummer build.

Even with 2S batteries there is more thrust than the plane weighs.

If those changes don’t work I think I will move on to the much larger B58 version Bimo designed or just do both simultaneously.

For the short time she was in the air she looked pretty cool actually. She acts like she wants to fly.
    We will give her another chance or two :)

Some of the still shots in flight show her to be a looker! Now I just need to clean her “WILD” side up a smidge :)

More to come!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    JTiger, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Wild,

When she rolled over to the ground it looked like the stab hit first.

It formed a clean break at the prop slot and other than that there isn’t any other significant damage and it will glue back in just fine.

I expected to see much more damage than these photos show.

Bimo designed a tough little booger :)

DD7615E5-8473-407B-AD9B-5707435033FC.jpeg

06BDEE3E-F90A-4D2C-BB48-64B9450D48D1.jpeg

E95AB066-220F-4AD8-9BA9-E0FE74CEA473.jpeg

Wildthing likes this.
  13. I think and I am by far no expert but it looked like torque roll, I don't care which way the prop is turning to me that is irrelevant, spin the prop the other way and she will roll the opposite direction.

Start with some really small props and doing vertical thrust tests see which ones have the least amount of torque roll, don't worry about super thrust just as long as it can lift the plane even if you are at 75% throttle. With all your quads you should have loads to play with, don't be afraid to try 2 bladed small props.
    Some props when I do the test the plane literally when I am holding it by the nose will spin like a top. I definitely know what to expect then, with such a small guy and no wing area it will be worse when trying to launch.

Flybyknight22 and JTiger like this.
  14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yeah you’re right Jeff,

I did do some previous hover tests with 6x4, 6x3 and this 4 inch 6-blade. The 6 blade had the least torque role of the three but it’s still way too much. I’ve got some 5 and 4 inch twin blades that might work.

I think I changed the receiver and esc to another plane and got the prop going the wrong direction when I swapped it back but your right, torque roll is torque roll. Still it needs to rotate correctly, this old man needs to pay more attention to what the heck he’s doing :)

I have several shopping bags full of these smaller quad props to test. My son and I break a lot of them crashing while racing so we have to keep plenty around. I should be able to find one that can cut down on the roll.

I’ll patch the Hustler up in the morning and try some out.

JTiger and Wildthing like this.
  15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I always felt that a 2826 2200kva motor would be far to powerful for this size of plane. I would have used a small quad motor like the 1806 with a light weight esc and 1300 or even a 1000mHa battery.

Flybyknight22, JTiger and Wildthing like this.
  16. That lightweight setup that Ian suggested sounds really good.

17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

BB56,

Yes, you are right Ian,

I used a small 3-cell 700mah battery on the test flight but the Turnigy 2200kv is over-kill as far as a motor goes, probably even propped way down.

I do have some smaller spare quad motors like the racestar and even some 1400kv pukes laying around.

The original idea was to use the “RCP” standard parts but for a plane that is this small it’s probably not feasible.

I may just go straight to the larger version where all the standard equipment in the RCP parts list can be used and will work.

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Good idea FBK, I am not keen on small models especially when they have small or delta wings.
    I would rather have a slow well behaved plane than a fast unruly one.:)

Flybyknight22 and homey666 like this.
  19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hey FBK if you are struggling with Park jets I could send you the plans for this plane:D

20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

BB56,
    Thanks Ian.
    That is a nice open area to fly.

We aren’t struggling with our park-jets.
    Our issue is a place to fly since the new FAA rules.

The property I own is completely surrounded with 50-60 foot + oak trees and the open space in the center is relatively small. It’s like flying in a fish bowel.

But I would never turn down a set of free plans :D

Wildthing likes this.