Antonov AN-2 Biplane Design

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Wildthing, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Was able to sneak out today for one flight, cold but no wind so only one battery ;) . Annie with it's new skis and color. This girl flies solid as a rock, I am not use to flying this slow :D :D

2. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Beauty! Looks and flies great, Jeff!

Peter

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That was a wonderful flight Jeff, Annie flies really well, but I`m sure you can fly her slower than that.:)
    I`m still trying to figure out what that guy was doing in the other truck though.
    Did the slow flying put him to sleep?:D

4. The excitement was just to much for him to bear :D :D

There was almost zero wind, I didn't want to go to slow and fall out of the sky ;)

5. It is a surprisingly smooth flier even at the lower speeds.

6. If anyone is interested in giving it a whirl and building one just PM me. . :)

7. hwilton

hwilton Airman

Good looking plane, at least it should not overheat!

8. Thanks, I think it turned out rather well. I might be a little bias though. :D

9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have my Annie almost ready for it`s maiden flight.
    I thought it was ready yesterday but when I came to fitting the top wing and plugging in the ailerons the ESC`s packed up and I had to cut into the nose to replace it.
    I need to tidy up the wiring and wait for some reasonable weather.
    I have a cheap 2212 1000kva motor swinging a 9x3.8 prop which is overkill really. a 30 amp ESC and will power it with either 1000mha or 1300mha batteries.
    Now where did I put that velcro?

Attached Files:

10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I also need to repair that split in my work bench, I keep loosing things down there:D

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  11. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

Nice work here too, Wildthing!
    Can I make a little comment?
    The 3d printed cowling is a excellent idea but you can obtain better results if the cowling is circular (or elliptical) and the faceted section is inscribed in the circle.

12. Looks good Ian, how does it balance out?

Oh, work bench, stuff a strip of foam into the crack ;) .

Sterling101 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  13. Thanks,
    The cowl was a quick design because I was to lazy to replace the broken foam pieces after the motor came loose so it had to match the contour of the foam nose, it does slowly transition into a circle but in the short length of it, it is hard to see.

Sterling101 likes this.
  14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It turns out I didnt need the extension on the nose. The back end of the 1000mha battery sits about an inch onto the lower wing and there an almost empty section behind the motor. The ESC and receiver are sitting on the estimated CoG.
    I am going to clear the bench and get some para chord and make two Spanish windlass`s loosen the screws holding the table top and squirt some PVA along the crack and wind it up tight with the para chord.

15. My esc is just behind that front former (ahead of the hatch) , the 22003S battery sits about 1/3 way into the nose and my rx is behind the hatch. Loads of room up front still. I could run dual batteries for a longer flight time, see how good the lift is then with the extra weight. ;)

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I think you would easily carry two 2200mha batteries in the big version.

17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I do have a criticism though, I think the motor mounts could have been further inside the nose so the prop didn`t stick so far out :p
    Anyhoo, I can`t afford to nose this little bird into the ground as I have built it a bit flimsy:)
    If I build a bigger version I would make that mod and probably form a round cowling round a jam jar and heat it with an hair drier.

18. The registers for the motor mount could easily be moved back without any other modifications, the taper in the nose is very slight so the motor mount size wouldn't have to really be adjusted.

19. I could send you the 3D printed cowl file, or did I already. :D :D

20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I would like a round one:)