Antonov AN-2 Biplane Design

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Wildthing, Dec 3, 2018 at 10:52 AM.

1. Well the wife said why don't you design and build a biplane so hear goes. I picked the biggest biplane out there, might even be able to put a bomb hatch in it. :D

Antonov AN-2 Biplane 1st Rendering 2.jpg Antonov AN-2 Biplane 1st Rendering.jpg

2. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Build it big enough to take her parking space in the garage.Oh wait,that ain't gonna happen.Your truck would have to go.:cool:

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

You have my attention.
    It was on my to do list:)
    Nice to see that old mule being done.
    A four foot wing span will carry just about anything, but try not to make the wings too thick if you`re going for an aerofoil section as it probably won`t want to come down:D

4. I see this guy was built for a very long time and is the largest biplane out there. The wing span I planned on 900mm so it still fits in the truck with ease :D . I was going to do folded wing air foils and the spars just 1/2" max. I have some dihedral in both wings as per the model but I may just go with a flat wing for an easier build, what's your thought BB56?

Cheers
    Jeff

5. My truck is not leaving period. LOL.

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi Jeff,
    that`s about 1600mm span of lift? (not sure of the lower span)so you can build it heavy.
    Even though it has a longer nose moment than the old WW1 bipe`s you may have a job with the CG being far enough forward with out loading it with lead. I thought about mounting the batteries vertical in the cockpit, I am just guessing at this stage though.
    I would`nt go more than 13% thickness on the aerofoil may be even less.
    Can you tell me the chord at 900mm please.
    The AN 2 has been in production since 1947 to 2001 or 2002 so it can`t be all that bad:)
    You could probably get away without dihedral as long as the scale police aren`t watching you:D
    I am just off to get a 3 view drawing from the net.
    Cheers.
    Ian.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 6:11 PM
  7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

This plane certainly ain`t going to win any beauty contest`s, but there are something`s that are so ugly they are cute:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 6:04 PM
  8. Cord is about 125mm.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  9. Sometimes the ugly duckling turns out to be Cinderella. ;)

Oh, I think I read is was built from 1947 to 2002

10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Too right about the Cinderella:)
    You are correct Jeff about the dates of the production run , I have altered my gaff, although there are reports it may still be manufactured under a different name in China:).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM
    bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

A Clark Y section is around 11.7% making the thickness about 14.652mm give or take a fraction.
    That might getting a nice foil section a bit difficult with 6mm foam. You might need to go a bit thicker with the spar.

12. Are you talking total thickness including the top and bottom plate, that's 12mm already so to come up with 2.652mm crap I will have to watch how much glue I use? You remember we are using 6mm foam (snicker snicker)

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

This is an interesting photo of the AN2`s flaps and ailerons in flight.
    It looks like the bottom wing has full length flaps and the top wing has flaps and ailerons.
    This plane was designed to operate from unmade runways and has pretty good STOL characteristics.
    It also has automatic slats that operate at around 46 knots which are rubber powered:)
    [​IMG]

bimoadiprakoso, hwilton and Wildthing like this.
  14. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

Don't build it heavy and add lead but rather do what the original had and put in a big motor!
    That huge rear fuselage cross section should be plenty strong enough built 'light' and the tail plane is braced as well.
    It was never a fast plane so light and slow is entirely in order.

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I found a walk around, but the presenter didn`t mention the automatic slats or how they work.
    Not really that important on a small model.

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Yes, total thickness which means the spar will need to be thicker to gain a nice aerofoil section.
    Oh well Rome wasn`t built in a day.
    An 8 mm spar placed at 40mm from the leading edge will present a fairly nice wing(I`m guessing) I suppose it`s suck it and see at around 22 mm total thickness.

17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Ah, when I said heavy I meant it probably could be built with hot glue with a brown paper skin:)

18. Well root edge is only 125mm so you would have the spar almost in the center. I was thinking more of 25mm to 30mm from LE and 2 strips of foam 8mm tall with a 6mm cf strip sandwiched inbetween so the spar would be roughly 14mm thick

19. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

6 mm foam top and bottom wing skins?
    If you used scale bracing as well I doubt you would need a spar of any sort just a strip of foam to give the required wing section.
    This 20" wing panel uses 5 mm laminate flooring underlay.
    UndlyWing1.jpg
    The balsa leading and trailing edge are only there to give a degree of 'ding' resistance.
    The complete 40" wing under test carrying 18 oz at the centre and supported only at its tips.
    18oztest.jpg
    Of course as a braced biplane it would many times stronger and stiffer.

20. Good info,
    I wasn't going to do all the biplane bracing on the wings other then that one strut towards the end of the wing so that's why I was going to use the 6mm cf strip in the spar.

bimoadiprakoso, JTiger and andy_downs like this.