Alternatives to the Master Parts List

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by willmcduffie096, Sep 26, 2014.

1. willmcduffie096

willmcduffie096 Rookie

I have purchased the V4 package and have just built the SU34. The power package in the master parts list has a link to HobbyKing. However, they are not in the USA and can take a long time for parts to arrive. My order said up to 45 days. My question is, are there alternatives to the size as recommended in the master parts list and if so what would be the recommended configuration. Also, is there alternatives to a place to purchase the motor, ESC, Battery, Prop, mixer so everything matches.

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I like heads up rc, specify the heads up zoom 400 or 450, with a 40 and esc and 6x3 emp prop. All available from them. The zoom 450 can handle a 7x4 prop as well. They are in Florida, a family business and have the best customer service I've seen in the business. Super fast shipping even in Saturday!
    http://www.headsuphobby.com/main.sc
    http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up-400-Zoom-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-E-557.htm
    http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up-450-Zoom-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-H-225.htm

http://www.headsuphobby.com/EMP-6-x-3E-Composite-Propeller-ONE-Prop-B-690.htm
    http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-40-Amp-Brushless-Motor-ESC-G-645.htm
    They are also a good source for servos and rxs. Love them! There's even a thread here about their excellent service.
    My f18 v4 has the zoom 400 set up...
    RCPowers F18v4 Walk Around and Maiden:

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  3. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Graysonhobby is another one in the states that sells these kinds of parts.

Typically you can just google search the description of the part like "2200kv, 30 AMP Max" for the motor and you'll get a nice long list of places that sell exactly that part.

TacticalFlight and F1wanabe like this.
  4. willmcduffie096

willmcduffie096 Rookie

Thanks, this will help me get my plane in the air much sooner. I'll post photos when it's ready.

F1wanabe likes this.
  5. willmcduffie096

willmcduffie096 Rookie

Ok, here are pictures of my first try at building. This is my V4 SU34 without paint, electronics or power. Will paint next then add power and electronics next. Will let you know how the first flight goes.

Attached Files:

6. theplumber717

theplumber717 Ace Pilot

Looks good man!! are those anti terrorist concrete blocks in your yard?

Airflow likes this.
  7. willmcduffie096

willmcduffie096 Rookie

No, although sometimes I think that is what I should use them for. They are going to be used to line a ground bank to keep it from eroding and then filling in behind them.

Airflow and theplumber717 like this.
  8. muttandjeff02

muttandjeff02 Cadet

Great build!! Hobby King has a warehouse on the west coast and they now show a warehouse on the east coast. When you go to HK's web site look just the above the list of depts. (airplanes, helicopters and etc.) place your curser over where it says global warehouse. A list of the USA warehouses will drop down, click on the one you want. Check them both, hope this helps

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  9. etherfly

etherfly Rookie

Has anyone built with "Elmers Foam Board" instead of Depron? Elmers is 5mm thick.

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I built my first and second rcpowers planes (f117 v1 & v2) with Elmers and they never got off the ground! That weighs 50 percent more than depron o MPF. So, if these planes weigh, say, 22 oz from depron then Elmers will weigh 33 oz! That's more than most power systems put out. I would recommend MPF grade b foam which costs $2.80 per sheet delivered. Much less than Elmers and depron. About the same as Dt but a lot lighter.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

EricR and Airflow like this.
  11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

"and they never got off the ground!" HAHA! lol

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  12. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

If it's the stuff you get from Dollarama, made by Ross, it works great. I build all my planes from it, Canada only tho.
    IMG-20140615-00578_zps40c694c8.JPG

13. willmcduffie096

willmcduffie096 Rookie

Another question, I have had my first flight with my SU34. I'll post some pictures when I have them. The flight went well, however it seems to be under powered with the recommended setup from the master parts list. Does anyone have a suggestion as to other power setups. F1wanabe listed the Power-Up 450 Zoom with a 7x4 prop as an alternative. However, I believe it is being used in the V4 F18. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

14. willmcduffie096

willmcduffie096 Rookie

As promised here are pictures of my completed SU34 after my first flight. I did not have a way to take pictures during the flight. However, as you can see the flight was successful as it flew successfully and had a successful landing which is always a good flight.

Attached Files:

15. theplumber717

theplumber717 Ace Pilot

You did a great job on it! looks really good, and you must have had a good flight! Congrats!

16. willmcduffie096

willmcduffie096 Rookie

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm kinda proud of it as it is my very first build.

17. mike797

mike797 Rookie

I thought the same thing as will did after my SU-34 maiden this week. I am returning to the hobby after a few years break and new to smaller foam planes and electrics in general. Having no prior knowledge, I just clicked and bought straight from the master parts list.

I wasn't expecting the unlimited vertical and raw power of my previous 3D gassers being that it was the trainer of the bunch, but I am looking to get a little more power out of it while I build the SU-30 or MIG.

Other than that, it flew good (despite my building skills) and I am surprised I enjoyed it so much even during the trim out and taking it easy first flights. One RCP build and two flights in and I am now a park jet fan.

I came in at 22.75 for weight on the SU-34 if that helps with power recommendations.

Edit- I didn't see F1's post above before. Bought the Zoom 450 and 40 AMP ESC from Heads-Up RC to try out on the SU-34.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  18. willmcduffie096

willmcduffie096 Rookie

Ok, I had five or six great flights. Then I tried to fly with some wind. As a new flyer, it did not go too well. I flew it straight down which did not do well on the nose. Here are pictures of my repairs. The wonders of foam, I took the body off the wings and am building a new body. My main challenge is getting the trim worked out. It seems to try to turn left even with max right trim. Anyone have any suggestions.

Attached Files:

DavePowers likes this.
  19. sgf323

sgf323 Ace Pilot

Make sure your motor is mounted perfectly straight and that at zero trim all surfaces are aligned.

DavePowers likes this.
  20. kendogzx11

kendogzx11 Rookie

Verrrry nice. Way better than my first builds, nice job!! Thumbs up to post#2, Grayson Hobby and Heads Up Rc are also very good, plus HK west warehouse. A Google search will turn up more than you ever imagined. Keep up the good work!!

harlow8410 likes this.