A Journey into 3D Printing (from a Novice perspective)

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by DutchRC, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Well I have been testing things..
    You can see one of my tests in this video for instance:

And I've been preparing the 'how to get from Zero to an actuall print' video.. Takes a while! ;)

malukk likes this.
  2. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

lol

DutchRC likes this.
  3. Ghehe no no.. no 'lol' :p gotto test if it can print Tall structures (with thin wall).. Those are the prints that really show if the frame is stiff enough :)

malukk likes this.
  4. Yes! This video took some doing (and it's Long).. so it took a bit of time :)

Time for an update on this 3D-printing project of mine :D
    In this edisode I'll show you how to get from having that printer, towards actually printing something.

That means, I'll show you how to Find 3D designs by other... After that I'll give you a introduction into Fusion 360 (a 3D designing program).. And we'll slice that model so the printer can actually do something with it :)

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  5. A much smaller update for this project this time :)
    This time it's a more general Quick Tip for Slicers (in this case Slic3r) to safe power.. Slic3r doesn't turn off the heater of the bed at the end of the print..

Here is how to solve that :)

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  6. That's strange, any print I have done with it the printer has turned off the heaters.

7. What slicer do You use sir??

Wildthing likes this.
  8. I have used Slic3R , Repetier, Mesh Mixer and Cura but in some you can use different slicer engines in the same program.

malukk likes this.
  9. Ah yes.. different engines.. To be honnest I have not really looked into That part of the 3D printing stuff..

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  10. If you have any questions ask @malukk ;)

malukk likes this.
  11. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Nice so when is next video of using acetone to make it look unreal good

Wildthing and DutchRC like this.
  12. Soooo you're basically saying it doesn't look good enough huh? :D
    Well yeah.. that might indeed be a good subject for a video :)

(gonna be doing some 'normal' RC video's first though)

Wildthing likes this.
  13. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

actuallly your going to get few stringer at the end priduct here n there as that usually gets sanded off to bad you didn't have a cheaper 3d printer to compare quality creality kicks butt

DutchRC likes this.
  14. Ghehe yeah.. I would like to try another printer in a while to indeed compare things..
    Going Back in quality is not something I was planning to do though :$

Wildthing likes this.
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

But that is what its all about quality at a decent price even the shop that printed my Speed brakes were 4 times the price you paid still had to clean up the finished product

16. I guess there is money to be made in printing stuff on order? ;)

Wildthing likes this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Yes there is if you have the skills to design and make it happen wlld sent me to 3d hub place where a person can get in contact with printers and pay to get something done but like anything else costs go up if there designing

18. Acetone works good on ABS filament but not on PLA.

malukk likes this.
  19. The printer is only a portion of the prints, there are the different manufactures of plastic plus even in the same manufacture different colors will print different and then there is all the settings to fine tune each and every aspect of it. Even if you have the best of best printer and the plastic you are trying to use is not being friendly you end up with a crappy print. This is just the tip of the ice berg. ;)

malukk likes this.
  20. In some of the slicers I can set the cost of a roll and when I slice it depending on quality it will give me the cost of the print.

malukk likes this.