3D Printed Parts

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Sterling101, Nov 1, 2017.

1. JTiger

JTiger Airman

Good to know! Definitely don't want to burn down my house :)

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  2. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

Anet are firestarters?
    But then LiPo are as well!
    I have had no fires from either after several years of use.
    My cheap Anet A8 has worked faultlessly for over 840 hours of printing to date.

Wildthing likes this.
  3. Exponential

Exponential Cadet

I'd designed and printed a canopy for the F-18 v3 that I built some time ago, and recently posted it to Thingiverse. I don't recall the settings so you'll need to experiment with wall thickness, infill etc. to get a good print. I used PLA and several coats of grey primer with sanding between coats, followed by a shot with gold paint for color. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3061472

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  4. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Lipo's are firestarters too...not sure what your point is, other then helping out my point. If you are the member of an RC club and/or been in this hobby long enough there is a good chance you will eventually see one out at the field, or at least know of someone who has experienced one.

Most of us store and charge our lipo's responsibly. However, I'm sure there are some people that get home from the field, and toss their spent lipos onto a wood shelf, just under the wool blanket section, just above their cans of kerosene and gas. They don't bother checking voltage levels before jamming them all into a parallel charging board and pressing start...not even giving the screen a quick glance before downing 2 sleeping pills and hitting the hay.

Of course that's a bit of an exaggeration but it's more or less the equivalent to the Anet A8's (and other cheap Prusa i3 clones) version of 3d printing safety.

For example:
    * It doesn't have thermal runaway protection. So if the thermistor pops loose from the heat block, or the heater element falls out, the control board will just go full tilt at the heating element.

* Its power supply is not UL/CE certified, nor any other valid certification agency which means there is no evidence it meets any safety requirements nor even preforms to spec. Some reports that it outputs a dirty 11-13V at whatever amperage it seems to feel like. You should actually verify with your insurance company if running non UL/CE labeled items puts you at risk of having a claim denied if that was the item that started a fire. I've read mixed things online about it.

* It's made of acrylic...a material known to soften under heat. It also is known to eventually fail from fatigue from vibration.

* The plug for the heat bed isn't designed for forward/backward strain and can eventually loosen.

It's great you've never had a fire, most of the people in my ridiculous Lipo example would also never have a fire. However, I think we know who has a greater risk of a fire. While we all have to accept some risk in life there are situations like this where small effort can reduce that risk to very low.

Here are just some examples of ANET's attempting to burn down people's houses.

https://www.thissmarthouse.net/dont-burn-your-house-down-3d-printing-a-cautionary-tale/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/3dprinter/comments/8dau41/my_anet_a8_burnt_down/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/8ah96r/anet_a8_burns_down_half_the_house/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/6cekgk/house_fire_thanks_to_cheap_printer_from_china/

This is in no way a personal attack on you. If you ignore everything I just wrote please just update your firmware to have thermal runaway protection. That will at least protect you against your heater from following out, or melting out of the heatblock and starting a fire which has been attributed to most, if not all, the Anet fires.

5. This is exactly the reason why one of my friend went with Creality printer. I wonder after all of this whether Anet has at least upgraded the firmware for the new printers that come along? I know that these days the Marlin firmware comes with that option enabled by default and is the first option that I always check first anyways. One can also adjust the time period and temperature hysteresis for runaway protection.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Wildthing and notamedclosed like this.
  6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Today is all about rain and I'm not in the mood for house cleaning

I still have this nearly completed cargo plane that I really need to paint and finish off. The wing is tested and ready to go.

I never cared for how volatile the horizontal stabilizers ride the tips of the elevator. Way too much flex and this is going to wobble around big time, eventually tear itself apart.

I went fishing with the idea: ... this isn't anything new, betcha I can find one on thingiverse

I smiled when I stumbled upon this.
    Thanks Kk
    [​IMG]

notamedclosed, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  7. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

For sure it is an high tech alternative to a toothpick or bamboo stick!
    Cheers.

8. Haha :D. Those will certainly come in handy with 1mm CF rods.

Wildthing likes this.
  9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It worked... pretty close. I seemed to return an oval shape on the hole.

I need to outfit for 1.5mm rod anyway. 3mm was too heavy duty, didn't look right and 1mm was just a little too light. So I drew up another one using yours as a base reference.

It looks sort of like a tractor muffler poking out of a box top. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. I done things similar to that and make the holes just a hair small and then drill them out to my exact size I want.

malukk likes this.
  11. Now thats a great idea!

Wildthing likes this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I set you up with your first remix. :p[​IMG]

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  13. I hate bottles of glue and such because 2 things, usually as they get 1/2 empty the air starts to let the glue gel up some and then 1/2 to 3/4 empty you are always turning it upside down and waiting 15 minutes for it to run to the bottom. So today I was getting tired of it and made some holders, could be used as shooter glasses also. ;)

2018_1120_160941_001.JPG 2018_1120_160946_002.JPG 2018_1120_160955_003.JPG

14. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Two sets of legs for the blade torrent quad....I need longer screws to actually mount them, unless i take the prop guards off...which I don't want to do just yet fc73e429-f876-4db1-ac6e-176f6df0c8cf.jpg a36fe3bb-47bd-4cf0-a3e1-115da940e715.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    JTiger, Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  15. topgamer84

topgamer84 Rookie

Wow that look really good.

malukk likes this.
  16. Bobfrog

Bobfrog Airman

Just received my first 3d printer today, Creality Ender3. Very impressed with packaging, instructions and sturdiness of the machine. I was able to print my first design with only minor startup issues. Just some small control horns but I was amazed that I could design and print parts so easily. I am hooked! 78BDFCB1-42BB-475D-8E1F-4175BD46A5C8.jpeg

FED50H, JTiger, Wildthing and 2 others like this.
  17. Like Jeff welcomed before: “Welcome to the dark side”

JTiger, Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  18. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I got the same one about a month ago,if you find the filiment isn't comeing out of the nozzle make sure the feader gear is tight before you blame the nozzle being clogged.Mine came just placed on and the set screws weren't tightened,had me going for a couple days before I noticed.Pinshape has control horns with the sandwich plate with screw holes for a non glue app.I use the screws that come with servos.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    JTiger, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  19. LOL, yes the Dark Side has expanded once more. :D

You will waste so much time just watching the printer you will get nothing else done. ;)

20. Bobfrog

Bobfrog Airman

I agree that watching it print is a bit addictive.