3D Printed Parts

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Sterling101, Nov 1, 2017.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Not yet but i have considered a .8 for rough draft or making boxes type stuff.

... you ?

Wildthing likes this.
  2. No , but I have a bunch of nozzles in a range of sizes just up and down just never tried them out yet.

3. I have tried a variety of filaments so far and I can say that cctree and polymaker pla have worked out fantastic for me compared to others. Just very good quality and strength compared to standard and “strengthened” pla as well.

I print mine at 225-230C even if the recommended temp is 190-210.

One setting I do change is the extra retraction distance to 0.05-0.1 instead of 0.12 when printing multiple parts. But if printing single part, set it to 0.

My plane is ready but will click some good pics before I post it here...

Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

That hot huh... seems almost intense and my thin walls would look like a smooth surface at that heat. No ridges between layers at all.

... would that be the intent here ?

Wildthing likes this.
  5. You would still see the ridges. The reason why it strengthens the layer is because it melts the bottom layer very well and fuses the two layers well.

Also, the filament flows a lot smoother I have found at that temp if printing thin walls... those holes every now and then are resolved by this...

FED50H, TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  6. and no cooling fan??

7. No cooling fan, thats correct!

Wildthing likes this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Interesting... I'll try my next orange piece at those temps and see what I return. Same vendor different color. This may even (by proxy) clean up those few differences that I posted earlier ?

Fan off and I'll post what I find. I did not see any pits or holes, pimples anywhere with what I've done thus far. I messed with retraction, speeds and distance against the filiment multiplier a long time to get it to track this crisp.... but it's cooking now. I'm pleased at that much already.

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  9. Well installed a new roll of black pla, stringers are back and little gaps everywhere, the new roll I ordered through Amazon and the brand is AMZ3D , not to happy the way it's printing. My old roll was from Amazon also but brand name SOLUTECH. Huge difference in quality and almost identical price.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    malukk likes this.
  10. I had bad experience with the AMZ3d as well. Not good quality. I bought Oaktech recently and its decent enough. Not as good as cctree though.
    The cctree orange came in today but think the color is very light so gonna return it.

Wildthing likes this.
  11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It's Action Man !![​IMG]

Wildthing, malukk and Sterling101 like this.
  12. Have you turned your printer off yet???? ;)

TomMonton, Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  13. Well the printer now has a couple snakes to keep the cables out of trouble. Parts fit perfecto @Sterling101

2018_0218_175057_001.JPG 2018_0218_175107_002.JPG

Sterling101, TomMonton and malukk like this.
  14. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  15. It is, and for sure now nothing will dangle and knock over the print. ;) I am going to reprint the top plates, the ones now slight warp in them but with the BuildTak sheets things come out perfectly flat. Next I want to build some little bracket/tube to feed the plastic over the top .

Sterling101 likes this.
  16. Well hours after a bunch of settings changed got this new brand of PLA to print not to bad, atleast double wall stuff, still working on thinwall pieces. I may just save it for mounts and stuff that are double wall.

Anyways, printed off some nice new and perfectly flat upper plates for the printer, couple new motor mount plates and what I couldn't design in Tinkercad was a curved tube I did in Rhino , this is a guide that I will mount on the top for the PLA to be fed through.

2018_0219_115323_001.JPG 2018_0219_115334_002.JPG 2018_0219_115345_003.JPG

bogusbandit56, Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  17. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

Of course you can go completely barmy and and snake all the cables. AnetA8mods.JPG
    And print covers for everything else!
    To be honest I did this more to ensure a constant flexing of the cables to avoid possible stress cracking than the risk of knocking over the print.

18. Printer is all back together and printing a test piece. :) If you ever crack a Z top motor plate I have it, fit's like a glove. ;)

2018_0219_141831_001.JPG 2018_0219_141841_002.JPG

bogusbandit56 and Sterling101 like this.
  19. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Took a bit of fiddling to get it right for our printers but yes it does fit rather well :)

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  20. Hi Leigh, the ones I was referring to in the last post is the actual plate that the 2 Z motor screws to, those two guys. ;) You stuff fits excellent also. :)

bogusbandit56 and Sterling101 like this.