3D Printed Parts

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Sterling101, Nov 1, 2017.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Wow ... impressive work.

Wildthing likes this.
  2. That is so cool, actually double cool. Did you do any thrust test to see what difference there is between the open prop and your awesome setup?

Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  3. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Ack, again.

So I did a quick internet search, wondering if there was a magic number of blades that suddenly turned a ducted prop into a ducted fan. One source mentioned that ducted fans will have an odd number of blades to avoid resonance.

There are also different duct shapes depending on whether the duct/shroud acts to accelerate or decelerate the speed of the airflow around/through the ducting.

And there seems to be a difference based on whether one needs more thrust at low speed (props) or high speeds (ducted fans). This sounded to me like the difference between a full-scale recip/prop aircraft and a jet, especially as far as throttle response goes. Then my head started to hurt (although the Dragon's Milk Stout may have had a co-starring role?).

So, no meaningful answer other than "It looks COOL!" Sometimes--for a guy, at least--that's the best one can do.

4. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

Wildthing
    As far as i can tell the duct (it is nearly 3 diameters long) does cost some static thrust, about 15%. If the duct was only a prop "shroud" it is possible with very small tip clearance for the static thrust to be slightly improved over the prop free air figure.

You would need a pretty sophisticated wind tunnel set up to determine whether the ducted prop performed better than a free prop once it was moving but I rather doubt it at the speeds model planes fly at.
    Below about 400 mph a prop still is more efficient

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  5. I think if you only lose 15% it will do great, you lose some thrust even as a mid mount so it shouldn't be much different. Very impressive design. :)

Sterling101 likes this.
  6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I have heard a rumor that FED50H had moved over to the plastic side. Another CR-10s is in the house.

Feel free to post any questions as they come up and show off your work often

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Myself I'm already to a point that i can run a project remotely after an initial setup of: a good surface and already leveled.

Once settled, I'm up and moving and the rest of the house is up and moving (not always within the same window), I press go and I can check on it from time to time from the office.

Not a good picture because the morning sun is passing over the outside window.

I'm finishing up the last few pieces of a filament reel stand. The one that you press in two skate board bearings. [​IMG]

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Some stuff I tinkered together.

First I printed out the TUSH filament rollers and replaced that corny idea of a reel holder that comes with the kit. Odd too because the sample reel they provided didn't fit right either
    [​IMG]

bogusbandit56, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Then I desperately wanted to fix the fuster cluck I created trying to hang a pi zero with a cam on a light bar. Slick idea but my actual results was a lot more unwanted reflected glare off any flat surface that would pass by as the bed moved.

LED light is so efficient anymore, camera tech has yet to catch up to the blu spectrum levels.

I returned a very nice print from the provided .stl files and put things aside while waiting for a longer cable. A few days go by, parts come in and oh boy...

Long story and lotsa reading later I discover there is a new release due in April to address the raspivid -vflip .... - rotate issues..... and well this is still February.

Printed cam alignment vs. actual cam alignment. Not a total loss and it's time to hack at it little while.

I destroyed the original to rough things in .... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Swing and a miss but I got it right on three.
    [​IMG]

11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

A little more tinkering and finally it works.

Now I just need to hang it in place. [​IMG]

12. Off the subject Leigh, for the buildtak sheets what is the best way for cleaning it? I think you had mentioned it somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Cheers
    Jeff

13. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I use brake cleaner on mine. Still leaves some marking on the sheet but it doesn't affect the print any, just handy to remove anything greasy that could affect the adhesion.

Wildthing likes this.
  14. Thanks,

15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

My daughter was all about the little mermaid when she was a little girl.

.... so printed this today for grins.[​IMG]

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  16. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

As part of another project I wanted to see just how "tall and thin" something could be printed.

PLA, hollow with a 0.3 mm wall thickness. It is just 4 mm wide yet 225 mm tall. :eek:

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  17. Don't shake the table :)

18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Build a new R2 unit[​IMG]

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

.... oops. I had his foot facing forward. It's supposed to trail behind his body.

A quick fix and now things look right.

I was planning to do another at 150% scale. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grabber5.0, Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  20. Well my first real Rhino 3D model design and turned it into a 3D print. :)

Water Bottle.png 2018_0207_142902_002.JPG

malukk and Sterling101 like this.