3D Printed Parts

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Sterling101, Nov 1, 2017.

1. I thought I was, cheap cameras. :D :D I found an anti old age setting (anti-shaking) and turned it on, lets see how these ones look. :D :D

2018_0108_082933_001.JPG 2018_0108_082947_002.JPG 2018_0108_082957_003.JPG 2018_0108_083010_004.JPG

Sterling101, bogusbandit56 and malukk like this.
  2. Just checking your eyesight. ;)

Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  3. Single axis I have about 45 degrees I can go, doing both at the same time about 30 degrees. Need some fancy software to taper the groves or slightly widen the from center to the ends on the sphere. This could just be stick mounted .

Sterling101, bogusbandit56 and malukk like this.
  4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

So what do you intend on doing with this semi articulated Panzerfaust?:)

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  5. Not sure yet, I think I might have a donor in the basement. ;)

Sterling101 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  6. Finally cleaned up and organized my printer’s wires today...

Printed a box for Ramps board:

First, printed a fan holder and a filter holder...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Printed the base and top unit along with the reset button. The dual color came out very nice:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed the Ramps board in the enclosure:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached the box to V-rails and routed the wires thru and made connections:

[​IMG]

Finally, wifey suggested to name the printer. Her dad is a goldsmith so you know how she came up with the name:

[​IMG]

7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Impressive work Kk. The spin with two colors looks very nice. Evidently you have a two color extruder ?

That was some of the first prints I did as well ... wire retainer clips and things to clean up the wire tangle I had started. I have yet to print off a better filiment reel hanger but have out that job on hold until the the replacement glass bed arrives this week. I've been sticking close to small parts only until then.

Nice job

8. Thanks! I only have a single extruder but with editing gcode commands after the layer you want to change the filament, the extruder can be parked away, machine pause, change the filament and back to printing again.

Yeah, I hope the glass bed works out for you this time along

9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

This was really... really off.

I received a new 310x310 glass bed plate today and seems to be in MUCH better shape now.

I normally always run a G1 F200 E3 ; prime extruder to flush out the previous color before laying down the first full layer line of code. It also helps to clean the nozzle if any filiment had collected during warm up.

As explained before my bed had a nasty warp to it. I had laided down 6 layers of tape on the worse of the corners where it wants to do that first touch puddle and it still doesn't entirely reach the plate.

My next print will most likely be a bracket that clips to the extruder fan box and holds a .01mm dial gauge for a little more scientific approach to bed leveling.

It still blows me away

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Wildthing and malukk like this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

11. Well my sheets of BuildTak showed up today. Printed of a standard little motor mount, I was busy so when I got back to it the bed had cooled off , I needed to warm up the bed some to get the mount off. Holy crap it sticks awesome. :)

Sterling101, malukk and TomMonton like this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I've learned not to waste too much time between a warm finish and a cold bed to start pulling my print back up. Once cooled it acts more like it's been glued in place.

I would agree with you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  13. I need to try a long skinny piece to see if it lifts or warps up on the ends at all.

Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  14. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

The plastic used in 3D printing is heavy or rather as a 'solid' component it is. Yes, foams are made of a similar density plastic but their cellular thin wall structure is much more sophisticated and gives a considerably higher strength to weight ratio.
    So my aim is to use 3D printing in planes only where its strength and accuracy overcome any weight penalty.
    I am building an airliner using 2mm Depron as 'stressed skin' but supported by lightweight printed formers. Each 130 mm diameter circular former is printed as a "U" channel but has a wall thickness of just 0.2 mm so it weighs less than 1 g.
    Printing makes slight work (for me at least!) of the many that are required to be identical. Even the smaller diameter ones for the nose and tail section can be printed by adjusting just one variable.
    A view from the wing mount down to the tail. ServoWires.JPG
    Note the additional 'green' printed parts to support the tail plane and fin in their correct relative positions as well as the servo cable 'retainers'.
    Not finished so I no idea whether it wiil work but it is light! ;)

15. Very slick. :)

Sterling101 likes this.
  16. Tried something nice today... Printed with regular PLA directly on glass without any glue or tape or any other treatment.
    I had an Ikea mirror lying around so put it on my heated bed. I started printing on it directly and boy do the prints come out nice and glossy and layer-free!

Only caveat is the parts with small-medium surface contact don't adhere to the mirror well and will come off. However, it does work decently with parts that have larger surfaces that contact the bed. So for any larger parts you may have, print it directly on glass for smooth, layer-free, glossy finish. All you gotta make sure that your mirror is washed with soap and water and do not touch the printing surface!

Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  17. Hey, what about the other side or sides ???? ;) Careful planning so the face of all the pieces are on the glass would look cool. :) I may bring in a roll of abs to try out and then you can use acetone fumes to gloss it up.

malukk likes this.
  18. Haha in that case I may have to bring out my blurry camera
    But seriously, having all sides print separately and joining them later would actually look cool - just a lot of work.
    Abs stinks and is hard to print as well unless you have the entire 3d printer in a enclosure to raise up the surrounding temp as such. I would rather use the spray putty to finish pla parts and sand them to make em smooth.

19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

... wait... what.

Spray putty ?

I had to go look this one up and why not... thick paint right. Acrylic and comes in colors. This is why I like it here.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Wildthing, Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  20. Yeah it also goes by “primer filler” from Rust-Oleum. Its very sand-able too! A couple light coats and your prints look like they have come from a SLA printer, well sort of. :)
    It also goes by spackling spray...

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.