3D Printed Parts

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Sterling101, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Yeah, talk about price penalties that come along with the bigger bed volume :(

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I believe I'm back in business

She's stuck good now. My walls look right now too. [​IMG]

Wildthing, malukk and Sterling101 like this.
  3. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Don't want to take the thread off track, but can you (or have you) posted info/how-to on your Pi cam setup?

4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Can somebody tell me what a raspberry pi is.
    I know you don`t eat them and can play games on them.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Sterling101, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

A single board simple computer running a scaled down version of linux.

35 bux for the board and another 12 for the cam module. Can't beat the price and its all open source platform.

Reference setup there are a number of resources available online through adafruit forums and YouTube you can tap on that will walk you through anything you could ask for.

You do need to fish a little to find the solution you're looking for exactly ... but it's all right there to help you.

This project I'm using the Pi Zero primarily because I wanted the smaller foot print so I could hang it on the light weight bracket I printed. The zero is wireless only as opposed to the type b that offers the discreet Ethernet ports that I didn't need for this application.

Ian if you'll notice it's a UK based product too ... right in your back yard [​IMG]

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Blimey it`s been out all those years and I have only recently heard of them.
    Mind you it did start life as an educational device for schools.
    Thanks Tom.

Wildthing, TomMonton and malukk like this.
  7. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

The original idea was a device for kids to learn coding etc but it kind of took off you might say right from the off due to the fact it's properly cheap and very powerful for what it is. Genius bit of kit from the same guy that came up with the BBC Micro back in the 80's.

I run my printer off a Pi Zero W running Repetier Server. I just upload it from the computer to the server and leave it running. Proper handy little devices :)

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Same here. I'm running repetier server and the pi cam off the one device.

No need for an sd card to even be in the controller box anymore. It's now a spare. Set the usb port for a high speed tty serial and you're off to the races. Upload to the server and walk away letting her play.

You can do what you want with the pc once it's loaded and running your on the print server. Power down or work on something else awhile. Everything is riding on the print server after the fact.

Another cool feature is repetier server will page you once your print is finished or errors out for some reason.

Pretty cool stuff really.

9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I did some some nosing around through the various message boards and it would appear that a warped glass plate (provided with the kit) is a common place thing. Many... many complaints and work arounds going on. The 12x12 plate has been even worse in discovering those differences.

Just a heads up.

I plan to just order one out right so I can have an accurate surface for my bigger projects.

Talk about frustrating ... sheesh. I am however taking cold comfort that I alone am not the only that has encountered this issue.

A new 300x300 plate is still about 40bux though ... argh.

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  10. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Y axis cable chain is installed and working!

Took some thinking about how to do it and where to put the chain but it seems to work out spot on!

IMG_20180107_212021_914.jpg

Only thing I needed to do was extend the wires for the heated bed but that wasn't exactly a big deal.

11. Tom,

After going thru many tries I finally settled for using a aluminum plate...

On amazon look for “RMP .125 6061 T6 Aluminum Sheet 12" x 12"”

This plate has been working great for me. If for some reason you don’t get a flat plate you can always return on amazon!

Wildthing, TomMonton and Sterling101 like this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You would suggest this now ...

I just pulled the trigger on a 310x310 borosilicate plate from rep-rap. You're suggestion does offer a good fall back plan though.

malukk, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  13. Slick. :)

Sterling101 likes this.
  14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

As Thunder has so often pointed out in the past I am a tight ass and I would be the first to admit it.
    I was so concerned with the cost of running a 3D printer I have done some research and calculations.
    I am not too confident with maths so don`t quote me , but I worked out that a printer cost .7235 pence an hour to run.
    This is based on the figures that a 3d printer uses 50 watts per hour and a 1 kilowatt hours cost around 14.37 pence in the UK average. These may be old figures and it might be 19.00pence per Kw hour.
    So now I can sleep easy at night.
    If the TV is not running whilst the printer is on I will actually save money as the TV cost 2 pence an hour to run.
    I will make a huge saving by turning of my PC which is 6-7 pence an hour.
    I am currently using a laptop and I don`t know how much that costs, but if I stopped posting all these stupid things I could save quite a lot of money.
    If I got rid of my computer completely I could save a small fortune because I would not be able to make stupid heat of the moment Ebay purchases late at night, or anytime come to that.
    It appears that my calculations were based on old prices and the average UK Kw hour is between 15 and 16 pence or could be up to 19pence per KwH.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    malukk, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

...lol. I too have a weakness for Amazon so I can identify with that last comment.

It's just too easy anymore

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I also have an Amazon account:(

17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

This looks interesting if it isn`t BS.

Sterling101 likes this.
  18. Another little experiment for a tv setup.

2018_0108_071832_004.JPG 2018_0108_071818_003.JPG 2018_0108_071756_001.JPG 2018_0108_071804_002.JPG

bogusbandit56, Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Sterling101, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  20. I think he does it purposely so that you should go thru his post thoroughly and carefully!